Your latest G.A.S. purchases

I'll rarely use it with the actual Palmer cab sim. Me and a friend of mine have been experimenting over the last couple of days with his JMP1 > Marshall 50/50 > palmer (with cab sim off) then into impulses.

The result - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Leec Palmer.mp3

Sounds fucking huge, and that's just double tracked.
By doing it that way (i.e. palmer > impulses) you get all the tubes in the equation, pre AND power, rather than when people just use their head's preamp with impulses. It's much more 3D, much more like the real thing, not to mention better than the Palmer's stock cab sim (which is awesome, just not amazing for recorded metal tones IMO!)

It's still missing speaker movement, which is the most important part - power tube distortion isn't a big part of any tone from a Recto/5150 style tone.

You couldn't have just gotten a Weber with the line-out option, or a THD Hot Plate?

I didn't buy it new, got it for a ridiculous price on eBay so it was just a case of grabbing it. Tbh I don't have a cab at home, so this way I can just fire it up and jam with the stock cab sim on the Palmer whenever. With the Hote Plate or whatever I'd have to boot my computer and fire up a DAW etc too.

Also, I think the power tubes do add something. While it's not distortion, per se, it still colours the tone in a way you can't get from modelling.

Mint ;) Mesa Recto cab - $250 US :kickass:

I actually bought this thing off craigslist almost 2 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape - aside from re-tolexing it, I had to reinforce one of the corners, which had begun to separate after what must have been a nasty fall. I'm also using metal corners, which should hold up a lot better than the stock leather ones Mesa uses. I finally got around to applying the tolex this weekend, and I must say it turned out pretty nice! The grill cloth has some scuffs, but they're not really visible under normal lighting conditions.

After going through all this trouble, I doubt I'll ever take this thing out of my house. :lol:

recto_cab.jpg

Here's a WIP pic (I wish I had a before pic - it wasn't pretty!)

mesa_retolex.jpg

So finaly bought the CLA comps.
The price is even better then tonys :)

Ermz, next time you buy waves plugins call this guys:
wavesuniverse or dutchmuzik....

so tomorrow I´m gonna pick up my brand new mesa os straight

:D

1176front.jpg

It´s here! And it sounds like sex! Kind of a half clone / half original. The trannys, ratio board, all the buttons and knobs are from a original vintage 1176! Very nice.

Been a good gear week.

First, picked this desk and the 2 control surfaces up on craigslist for a ridiculously cheap price.
IMG_0122.jpg

Then ESP sent this over for my bands new record, and for a couple albums I am working on coming up where I wanted a designated guitar for low tunings so I'm not dealing with shitty gear.
IMG_0135.jpg

And then a few minutes ago I ordered an Seventh Circle Audio chassis with an N72 kit. So I am hoping it shows up soon and that I can get it built and in my rack for some vocal recordings I've got coming up.

Next on the short list is a pair of A7s and an Axe FX. Then an SSL Alpha Link and some rest, I hope.

@AHChris: Niiiiice.

Just the cases....

D1176-2.jpg

SSL-WHITE.jpg

I kinda liked having unmarked units because it made things seem really 'l33t' to the clients, but with recall it became a bitch, so I ordered some proper cases with marked front faces.

@AHChris: Niiiiice.

Just the cases....

D1176-2.jpg

SSL-WHITE.jpg

I kinda liked having unmarked units because it made things seem really 'l33t' to the clients, but with recall it became a bitch, so I ordered some proper cases with marked front faces.

Cool, Where did you get the GSSL Case ready made?

*edit*
Ok just as i hit send i saw the photo references to DIY-Racked.com

http://www.diy-racked.com/diy-talk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18

Some cool nicely finished stuff there that will save me some metal bashing