Your Questions Answered!

Jack Owen

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2006
Guitarville
www.deicide.com
Let's see how long it takes anyone to find me here. I'll be checking in frequently to answer questions from the Deicide faithful! Yes, it really is Jack Owen, and yes, feel free to ask anything. :headbang:

Hmm, well I assume it really is you as this is a sticky (EDIT, no it's not) so thanks for coming on here Jack! Unfortunately you might find this place is really quiet, not many people post in here for some reason, maybe there's another Deicide forum somewhere else.
Anyway, I don't have any questions just now, but I've heard the new album and it is fucking fantastic - don't worry, I have preordered the Limited Edition version from Amazon.co.uk and I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more from the new band, you guys have given us possibly the best Deicide album yet, and certainly the bext leadwork on a Deicide album so far. It reminds me of "Dechristianize" but with more focused songs.

Okay, here's a question - have you met the Hoffmans and do you have any idea what they think of your work on the new album?
Cheers!

Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for promising to pick a copy of the record! Maybe I can get some people over to this forum, and onto the Earache site...:kickass:
I've known all the Deicide guys since back when Cannibal Corpse and Deicide started, so sometimes it's a wierd situation. I don't think the Hoffmans have heard the album. Maybe I'll drop a copy off at Brian's work! He was actually kind to me and Ralph when we saw him last week!

Hey Jack,

Are you planning any roadtrips any time soon? Jordan turns 30 next Sunday and we are heading up to the city!! $20 all you can eat wings and all you can drink brews!! Not a bad deal. Sorry to hear your tour plans for the US were delayed. Any confirmations for fall or winter!! New stuff completely rules!! Did you see the BWBK's review? 9!!!!! KILLER!! I ordered the limited edition through earache. I'm trying to do a local show with bands that love your stuff!! Digested Flesh and Putrid Pile. They say PEACE. Hope all is well! It's hot as hell here.

Peace,

Joe:heh: :headbang: :yuk: :kickass:

Jack Owen said:
Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for promising to pick a copy of the record! Maybe I can get some people over to this forum, and onto the Earache site...:kickass:
I've known all the Deicide guys since back when Cannibal Corpse and Deicide started, so sometimes it's a wierd situation. I don't think the Hoffmans have heard the album. Maybe I'll drop a copy off at Brian's work! He was actually kind to me and Ralph when we saw him last week!

Hi again Jack (I thought your thread was a sticky originally which made me think you were genuine - the fact the mods haven't denied who you are makes me think you MUST be :headbang: )

If you want this place to liven up you could post in General Music discussion - that place is pretty lively (I already started a thread about the new album in there although most people were dicks as usual....). I'd have done it myself but didn't want to step on anyone's toes. :)

It's good to hear Brian was cool with you and Ralph, although it is hardly your fault they're not in the band any more. I enjoy ALL the Deicide albums, even the ones that are apparently shit - but it's undeniable that the leadwork on the new one is by far the best ever.

Here's a question - how good a guitarist is Steve to come up with this stuff, despite being stuck behind a kit all the time?! :kickass:

Hey Joe! I'm busy the weekend of the 13th. Dammit... I'll get up there eventually and KISS trivia is ON! In what city did Ace Frehley get "almost" electrocuted???
Man, steve is the most underrated musician ever. He is basically a classical pianist who plays death metal drums/guitar. He writes all the riffs on his acoustic guitar and gives us a video tape. It is the most killer/surreal viewing ever. Here he is shredding on this old beat up acoustic guitar, And he plays like 4 different guitar parts for a riff and it is KILLER! Steve rules, I have to tell you, I'm telling you!
N.P. Rainbow-Rising

Hey Jack, thanks for taking the time to speak to the fans. I have a question which I am intested in having answer. Ralaph was quoted on a website after one of Deicide's gigs was cancelled due to artwork on a poster saying that he was a strong Catholic. Being that Ralaph is in Deicide, I wondered if Ralaph was mis-quoted or whether it was lies printed by the press?
Also, how goes playing in Deicide compare to other bands you have been in?

Tell me about it! That would be some serious required viewing \m/

Hey Jack, glad to see another newbie on this forum just like myself ;)

I have an age-old question about some of your gear. What make/model was the black flying V that you used to play in the earlier days of Cannibal Corpse? I have seen a few blurry live photos online of it, but still can't make out the maker! Do you still have that guitar, and do you collect/keep all the guitars you have ever owned or are you not that obsessed with your gear? :)

Good Day, eh?
To answer L.O.D.-In my opinion, Ralph is more of a theologist than a religious person. He can tell you the history of every religion. So I believe he respects religion and its history. I can't answer for Ralph, so I'm just giving my observation of him as a friend. As far as playing with Deicide compared to other bands? It's a bit more fun and layed back. Our schedule is a lot more flexible...
And to answer Doug666, that was a rare Ibanez neck-through Rhoads V. Stolen by a guy who is now dead. Karma????

NP-Badlands S/T

Is the sound quality on TSOR considerably better than that of the video, or is the sound damp and muddy like some bands intentionally do? I've preordered it, but I don't expect much quality out of an mp3 from iTunes, and I was disappointes in the audio quality of the video, hoping that the CD will be much better though.

Steve said:
Is the sound quality on TSOR considerably better than that of the video, or is the sound damp and muddy like some bands intentionally do? I've preordered it, but I don't expect much quality out of an mp3 from iTunes, and I was disappointes in the audio quality of the video, hoping that the CD will be much better though.

Like I posted in GM, the sound quality from what I've heard is fantastic in my opinion. Again, it's a leaked copy I have but I PROMISE I'll be paying cash money for it as soon as its out! :headbang:
The more I hear it the more I think it's a classic, it totally fucking rocks!

Here's a question for you Jack - what gear did you and Ralph use to record the album? Any particular pickups or anything you'd recommend? Strings?

What up?
Hey EvilOL, I got my Moser about a year ago now. It's the only one I have. Probably gonna stick to Dean guitars for a while. The factory is across from my house , so..
As far as the sound quality of the video, it is probably an unmastered version of the song since we wanted to get the video out there asap. The mastered disc sounds great. It is very close to the natural tones that we layed down.
And gear for recording? We ran an Engl Powerball head and a Krank revolution at the same time to track rhythms and solos. I think we both used Dimebuckers in our guitars. I used my Dean Razorback, and Ralph, his ESP V. We are only tuned down 1/2 a step to Eb, so we both use .46-.10 strings, usually D'Addario...

Now Playing-Earnest Tubb "Drivin' Nails in My Coffin"

Jack Owen said:
We are only tuned down 1/2 a step to Eb, so we both use .46-.10 strings, usually D'Addario...

If I remember correctly "Scars" used the same tuning (the older stuff may do as well, Scars is the only album I've played along to). :kickass:

Hey Jack, I was just wondering if you could tell me what the deal was with Deicide being banned from playing in New England. How did this happen? And is it permenant? As a Massachusetts resident and fan I am very interested!

Hey Jack i noticed you were and are using a digitech pedal can you confirm it? If so what blend of distortions are u using? I am not too technical on presets and all but if you could break it down for me in "dumb" language" that would be cool, thanks :)

What up? To answer obsidiansomnium, Deicide had an issue with Massachusetts before I joined the band. I'm not sure of the details. But it is only MA, and not the whole of New England. I think we have Hartford confirmed for September.
And, Kremator, I've used a Digitech 2101 preamp forever. I found that the power amp made no difference. The preamp was the best. It eventually fell apart and I started using Madision amps. As far as Settings on the 2101, you can start with a preset called death metal grind, and make it less scooped and get a good death metal sound with a good pickup in your axe, like a Dimebucker, or EMG 81.

Now Playing-The Outlaws "I Hope You Don't Mind"

Jack man thank you very much. Right now i got a Bc rich Warlock ( how typical eh? lol) with the factory pickups, i like riches for their necks and pickups but EMG's are something i wouldnt mind investing in. Death metal grind you say eh? hmmmmmmmm......could you define a "scoop" not sure what that means. All i can say is i use a digitech pedal as well. RP200 i think, its a good pedal but doesnt have a deep sort of sound like boss pedals do. I a specific pedal called hehe this is funny "death metal" its a ok pedal but sounds way to static like even if i turn the effect down to 2 or 1. So i make my own effects i use a simple "Bad boy" effect with reverb, some equalizer effects, lots of bass, good amount of treble and some mids for clarity. Oh by the way lol the box on my Rp200 claims you use it cause it has a list of artists and your name is on it "jack Owen Adrift" K man thank you VERY much for taking the time to answer my questions, your new album is going to rule, i seen the vid and like fucking WOW!

Thanks for the repliy earlier Jack. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts about Brian's works, what are the Hoffman Brothers doing now? What is Brian's work?