Your Top 5 Bass Guitarists Of All Time

Martin Mendez of Opeth - for obvious reasons "Blackwater Park" "Baying of the Hounds" "Windowpane" and his work live...
Dave Ellefson of Megadeth - "Peace Sells but Who's Buying?" "Holy Wars" "Sweating Bullets"
Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree - "Start Of Something Beautiful" "The Sound of Music" "Strip the Soul"
Squid of Lunachicks - "Gone Kissing" "Less Teeth, More Tits" "Yeah"
Jon Avila of Oingo Boingo - "Nothing to Fear (but fear itself)" "Who do you want to be?" "Spider"

Special Mention goes to Les Claypool, Rob Trujillo (for his work with Suicidal Tendencies), Jon Evans (tori amos), and of course Jaco Pastorius and VictorWooten (can't leave those two out)...

Many people here may disagree with me, I don't care...

Martin Mendez - Dude's smooth. Plays Opeth's atmospheric interludes with a great feel.

Geddy Lee - The man's a freaking legend. One listen to virtually any Rush song will show you why.

Allen Woody - May the master of the low end rest in peace. The first three Gov't Mule discs are a must.

Colin Edwin - Very underrated player. Everything he's touched with Porcupine Tree has been magic.

Doug Pinnick - King's X bassist keeps the low end so amazingly heavy without becoming incoherent.

1. Cliff Burton. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be typing this message right now, and I probably wouldn't play bass myself.
2. Kristoffer Gildenlow. Fucking amazing. It's a shame he was booted from the band.
3. Jaco. Wow. My bass teacher showed me Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" album, before I had heard any jazz before. I was blown away. I love this guy.
4. Geddy Lee. No explanation needed.
5. Johan DeFarfella. Amazing work on Morningrise and Orchid.

Two bassists that really stand out for me are Mariusz Duda of Riverside and Justin Chancellor of Tool. Their bass playing really drives the music of the bands they play in, and both have created some amazing riffs. Mariusz in particular impresses me, as he also sings.

I wont bother with 3 more as id just be repeating people... except Jaco Pastorius, he always deserves a mention :)

Anyone remember Tony Choy from Cynic/Later Pestilence? Guy was wicked. I heard he now plays in some Latin Swing nightclub gig.

Powers said:
No one else has chosen Entwistle. I'm amazed. Nor has anyone chosen John Paul Jones...very odd.
Both are good, but neither are really in the league of the bassists being mentioned in this thread (I'm a huge fan of Zep and the Who btw)

I will say...Geddy Lee, Jack Bruce of Cream...and for personal preference, Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree.

Martin Mendez cuz I like the side-to-side headbanging !
Also plays a mean bass guitar. I've been honing in on the Mendez riffs when listening to Opeth lately. Great stuff !!!

Also Jon Paul Jones

&

Les Claypool

That's about it

Justin Chancellor of TOOL. Very creative bass lines. You know it is him simply from the tone of the melody and his style.

Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne. The man can flat out play. Live he is simply amazing.

Les Claypool. WOW I love his work with Adrian Belew and Danny Carey. (Do a search for AMPERSAND)

Cliff Burton. - First saw him shred in 1984 on the Kill Em All tour. Anethesia (Pulling Teeth) was amazing live in a club of 200.

Martin Mendez - He is the icing on the cake on the Damnation Album. Sick etherial lines that take there music to the next level.

1. Peter Steele of Type O Negative - He may not be exactly a technical player, but he's done stuff on bass that I have never heard before and can never duplicate. I love TON and how he makes the bass stand out and playing chords on it.

2. Martin Mendez - Especially on the Damnation album. Love his work.

3. Geddy Lee - Do I really need to explain?

4. Lemmy Kilmister - Same thing as Peter Steele. He's not that technical, but that bass sounds so hard, tough, crunchy, and powerful. Love Motorhead.

I'm not well versed with bassists (and responded bfore reading other responses), but the first person that comes to my mind is Les Claypool from Primus. His bass work just stands out when I listen to Primus.

Being this is an Opeth forum, I should also mention Martin Mendez. One thing about me listening to Opeth, though, is I feel he more blends in then stands out. That is not a negative at all, as obviously bass is an integral part of Opeth. But the drumming of Lopez on the albums (and Axe live), and Mikael stand out for me.

Led Opeth said:
Geezer Butler- Black Sabbath....enuff said

Martin Mendez - He's the original "Bass Player"

Billy Sheehan(Mr.Bigg, Steve Vai,Niacin) - One of the best rock bassists of all time,you can hear him on alot of vai songs.

Les Claypool(Primus) - Hes just crazy...amazing bassist

you, sir, are a mindreader.