Your very *favourite* metal production?

But I'm just curious, since so many people here prefer Dogman...what is it about it that you like so much?

Outside of the fact I really enjoy the songs...

- IMO, one of the best Recto sounds ever committed to tape. And with single coils, no less! The guitar tone on that album is fantastic.

- Doug's amazing distorted bass tone. Very unique, tons of bottom, but still clear.

- Drums that sound like a real drummer behind a real kit in a great sounding room. The sound of a kit as a cohesive instrument, not as separate pieces. Plus the room sound. If there's artificial 'verb, you could have fooled me.

A big part of what makes that album sound so good, besides quality tones, are the performances- great grooves, riffs and vocal harmonies, tight playing- and the rather sparse arrangements. Everything is dry and in your face, nothing steps on anything else in the mix because there's nothing for it to get in the way of. Guitars are one take a side, sometimes just one take period. The bass is full and distorted, and very high in the mix, but never muddy or gets in the way of the guitars.

That album's like 15 years old at this point, but it still holds up. It's a dry, natural sounding album- there's nothing on there production-wise that really dates it. It's not particularly polished, but it doesn't need to be. It's just the result of a very tight live band going in to the studio and throwing down pretty much how they do live. (With the exception of a couple percussion overdubs and some doubled rhythm guitar.) There's no mystery to it, just a tight band with good tone and good songs, recorded well, with arrangements that let everything sit where it belongs with a minimum of fuss. The album sounds great because the band does, and there's so little going on it's almost impossible to get wrong.

Old Man's Child - Vermin

I seriously don't understand why this album is basically never mentioned here. Not only is this an insane album, musically, but the production is total tits!

Incredible separation on the OHs, while still sounding huge. The ride cymbal is the best ride I think I've ever heard - it's just perfect! The acoustic kit itself sounds incredibly natural and roomy while still being tight and defined. Maybe not as punchy as most people here would have, but it still crushes. The toms are total rolling thunder! Kick is sampled, obviously, but it's not overly clicky. The incredible playing by Reno Killerich doesn't hurt, either.

Gats are really cool, as well - double tracked (I believe) ENGL SE. Very clear and defined, with that awesome SE midrange and low end that's tighter than fuckall.

The vocals have an awesome smooth top end to them and fit perfectly, spacewise. Love the use of the effects, as well.

Basically, OMC is like a better Dimmu Borgir with even better production, which is saying a lot.

Meisterjäger;7522878 said:
My favourite is probably Stabbing The Drama by Soilwork.

+1, this album is far and away the best produced CD in my collection in terms of clarity, punch and production expertise. Is it my favourite production though? No. For some reason I love the way the Insomnium albums sound, even though the drums get lost, the guitars are boomy and the bass is undefined (although present- you feel it rather than hear it). All in all they are a huge mess, but yet it just sounds immense, and super thick. Its from the school of Phil Spector's 'Wall of Sound' imo.

Outside of the fact I really enjoy the songs...

- IMO, one of the best Recto sounds ever committed to tape. And with single coils, no less! The guitar tone on that album is fantastic.

- Doug's amazing distorted bass tone. Very unique, tons of bottom, but still clear.

- Drums that sound like a real drummer behind a real kit in a great sounding room. The sound of a kit as a cohesive instrument, not as separate pieces. Plus the room sound. If there's artificial 'verb, you could have fooled me.

A big part of what makes that album sound so good, besides quality tones, are the performances- great grooves, riffs and vocal harmonies, tight playing- and the rather sparse arrangements. Everything is dry and in your face, nothing steps on anything else in the mix because there's nothing for it to get in the way of. Guitars are one take a side, sometimes just one take period. The bass is full and distorted, and very high in the mix, but never muddy or gets in the way of the guitars.

That album's like 15 years old at this point, but it still holds up. It's a dry, natural sounding album- there's nothing on there production-wise that really dates it. It's not particularly polished, but it doesn't need to be. It's just the result of a very tight live band going in to the studio and throwing down pretty much how they do live. (With the exception of a couple percussion overdubs and some doubled rhythm guitar.) There's no mystery to it, just a tight band with good tone and good songs, recorded well, with arrangements that let everything sit where it belongs with a minimum of fuss. The album sounds great because the band does, and there's so little going on it's almost impossible to get wrong.

You see, much of what you listed is exactly what I never cared for, in any rock/metal production. Then again, my formative years of recording/production were during the 80's (showing my age here :) ). I prefer a more polished production (not always, but in general). Which is why I love Holographic Universe so much.

But those are VERY good points, and you made great arguments. Well, not arugments, no one's arguing here. :) And you've convinced me to blow the dust off the CD when I get home and give it a spin again. Thanks! :headbang:

I can't understand how people can say that any of the Pantera albums sounds good??? They sound really crappy. Don't get me wrong i love pantera, but production wise thumbs down

Old Man's Child - Vermin

Hmm. I don't have that one, but by your description, it seems worth it. I'm not a big BM guy at all, but I always liked OMC. I like how riffy and thrashy "they" are. (Granted it's more like "he is", plus whatever ridiculously good drummer plays on those albums.)

You see, much of what you listed is exactly what I never cared for, in any rock/metal production. Then again, my formative years of recording/production were during the 80's (showing my age here :) ). I prefer a more polished production (not always, but in general). Which is why I love Holographic Universe so much.

But those are VERY good points, and you made great arguments. Well, not arugments, no one's arguing here. :) And you've convinced me to blow the dust off the CD when I get home and give it a spin again. Thanks! :headbang:

You're welcome! I've found my favorite sounding mixes are either really lush and layered- even if they don't always sound it on first listen- or very, very dry. The latter usually has my favorite drum sounds, though. I think part of Dogman's appeal- I've seen it cited on other forums in "favorite production" threads before- is that it's just polished enough- it's not raw or lo-fi by any means; the tones and recording quality are first class, so it seems kinda slick at first. Only if you pay attention do you realize there's nothing really going on in the mix- it's like listening to a 45 minute version of someone's really awesome sounding Recto clip. :lol: (Granted, there's solid songwriting going on too to keep it interesting.)

I can't understand how people can say that any of the Pantera albums sounds good??? They sound really crappy. Don't get me wrong i love pantera, but production wise thumbs down

Then you might just need to visit the doctor and have your ears checked.

Exo....great job putting Dogman into words. Don't think I could aptly describe everything I dig about it in less than 3000 words :D

But....the panned verse vocal on "Cigarettes" might do it for me! Hooks me every time.....

Then you might just need to visit the doctor and have your ears checked.

Haha +1 I don't think I've heard a single Pantera album that sounded bad. Even their pre-Cowboys stuff produced by Dime's dad (Power Metal is one of my all time favorite albums!) sound good. Power Metal is the best sounding of their pre-Cowboys stuff, but even the previous stuff with Terry singing was better sounding than many bigger budget things at the time. I've showed some of the early stuff to people that didn't know about it, and they couldn't believe it was Pantera. :lol:

I've always greatly enjoyed the production on Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia by Dimmu Borgir. The guitars are massive, the strings sound great, and I really, really like the clean vocals as well. The drums, while mechanical, also work for me, for some reason, even though I am usually a fan of more rock sounding drums. The only problem is the occasional clipping, but I have always been able to look past it since it is so powerful sounding.

I really really like Soundtrack To Your Escape by In Flames. It's got this really unorthodox sound to it, but still seems so right for the music. Even though that type of sound is not something that I strive for, it's one of my favorite to just put on the stereo and blast it. Alot of very subtle things going on in the mix too, every now and then I discover something I never noticed before. Great album, and great job by Mr.Bergstrand.