YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

I found 0.5 is about right for the smooth parameter alone. What do you mean when you say you moved it one to the right but kept it on 0.0?

The smooth parameter is very sensitive. If you move the control with your mouse you'll notice it change although it still says 0.0. Right now I feel safer match EQing with Ozone 4 though. I know it can copy a guitar sound perfectly. I can't trust the Ozone 5 yet.

Anybody know some 'Must have' tones that I have missed? (not KSE, Petrucci, Dream Theater, Paramore, LOG...)
It's just that two of my favorite tones ever don't really have any parts with just the guitar playing, so I'm just looking for something else now. Something mid to high gain?

Anybody know some 'Must have' tones that I have missed? (not KSE, Petrucci, Dream Theater, Paramore, LOG...)
It's just that two of my favorite tones ever don't really have any parts with just the guitar playing, so I'm just looking for something else now. Something mid to high gain?

Surely depends on musical taste, but here are a few "must haves" that I use at times: Periphery (djent), Underoath (marshall/orange-core), Avenged Sevenfold (ultra modern grunge metal tone), Rammstein (similar to A7X), Slash tones, Foo Fighters tones, 30 Seconds to Mars, Evanescence, MUSE!!, SLIPKNOT!!!, Linkin Park ("THE" Recto tone).

Those are just tones from the top of my head. KsE is so on top of the game tone-wise that getting that the "My Curse" tone is like a holy grail in metal:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to match EQ Dillinger Escape Plan and Protest the Hero... will have to start searching for raw guitar parts. Do any of you know any?!

I'm really sorry, but I have to ask. How did you match EQ Underoath tone. I've listened to Define The Great line a lot lately (it has some of my favorite tones) and I haven't found a single spot on the album that could possibly be used for match EQing.

I want to match EQ Dillinger Escape Plan and Protest the Hero... will have to start searching for raw guitar parts. Do any of you know any?!

Tone sounds awesome by the way, might try this one myself...

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help guys. Do you capture a EQ curve on 1 part of a song and apply it to the whole song of yours? For example, if you have a riff that's picking with distortion and then some chuggy riffage, do you think its wiser to capture a picking section and rhythm section and apply it respectively to similar parts in your own songs? Or doesn't it really matter?

Match EQ doesn't affect the dynamic side so if your gain is already matched by ears, the end resulting tone should react the same no matter what part you match EQ.

F.ex. I match EQ'd "Dillinger Escape Plan - Chinese Whispers" from just two notes after 2:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKwbcZLqqE&feature=player_detailpage#t=141s

My patch was basically a JCM900 with full gain since I thought the gain structure was the same. The end result was exactly the same rhythm tone from that album.

What does matter is that you try to play the riffs just like the original. Pay attention to palm muting etc. I'd say it's better to match EQ something that's not chugging but has more of the high frequency content. Less can go wrong.

Ok great :) thx Clark, so do you recommend a chord or riff/picking section? Probably a chord section will be more accurate? I think this because gain is heavily affected by how hard a player plays (guitar bite) etc. Am I right in thinking this?

Match EQ doesn't affect the dynamic side so if your gain is already matched by ears, the end resulting tone should react the same no matter what part you match EQ.

F.ex. I match EQ'd "Dillinger Escape Plan - Chinese Whispers" from just two notes after 2:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKwbcZLqqE&feature=player_detailpage#t=141s

My patch was basically a JCM900 with full gain since I thought the gain structure was the same. The end result was exactly the same rhythm tone from that album.

What does matter is that you try to play the riffs just like the original. Pay attention to palm muting etc. I'd say it's better to match EQ something that's not chugging but has more of the high frequency content. Less can go wrong.

I'm really sorry, but I have to ask. How did you match EQ Underoath tone. I've listened to Define The Great line a lot lately (it has some of my favorite tones) and I haven't found a single spot on the album that could possibly be used for match EQing.

+1

Nothing to be sorry about! :) Underoath have different tones on the left and right side so it'll be more complicated to get both of them.

I really like the "They're Only Chasing Safety" album. The song "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" starts with both guitars separated. It's perfect for match EQ. :D No need to search for a part in a song like that. I think that's the coolest tone they have. More of a vintage Marshall/Orange combination with just the right amount of gain.

Ok great :) thx Clark, so do you recommend a chord or riff/picking section? Probably a chord section will be more accurate? I think this because gain is heavily affected by how hard a player plays (guitar bite) etc. Am I right in thinking this?

You can make any kind of guitar part work but I guess matching works best when there's just a simple chord that fills the whole spectrum.

Has anyone tried this method to copy lead guitar tones ? Would love to accurately model some classic tones like malmsteens strat tone or Eddie's brown sound

As I Lay Dying's 'Decas' album has a really cool modern high gain tone, could be interesting to match for those who are into those kind of tones. ( check Electric Eye intro for example )

As I Lay Dying's 'Decas' album has a really cool modern high gain tone, could be interesting to match for those who are into those kind of tones. ( check Electric Eye intro for example )

You can match that song. There's one second where the guitar is completely raw at 1:01. When the cymbal fades out before the next hit. Should work.

To me that tone just sounds like the über stereotypical 80's metal tone. :) Not for me but I'm sure many people love it.