YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

I see Ozone 5 has been released, interesting to note that on the details page it states one new feature is "Improved, simplified Matching EQ feature" would be interesting to see what they've done to simplify the process.

watty991 said:
The Horizons tone is aboslutly spot on! HOw did you go about getting it? (amp sim etc) ive been after it for a while

That tone was relatively easy to get as there are loads of spots in that album where the guitar tone is by itself, I used the pre verse riff from Horizons itself to match. For the amp sim I just used POD Farm, the amp model was the SLO 100 with the tube drive boost. I don't have Ozone, so I used the Match EQ plugin in Logic 9 which works pretty damn well. I took the smoothing off to get a better representation of the curve.

Hi Clark, i need your help.

I've sat with your video tutorial and am really struggling
Ive added TH2 to an insert, although i've not added any preset its basically that fizzy nasty sound as ive removed the cabinet.
ive got the source tone on one track and separate track for my guitar.
Ive recorded myself playing the guitar riff that i'm trying to eq match
Now im a bit confused, the target is my guitar track right and the source is the original track im copying. Is that right?
Secondly im using Ozone 5 which is definitely simpler than ozone 4 and im sure ive followed the manually correctly but i cannot imprint the matched eq onto my target track, it just sounds fizzy like its not worked.
Any ideas here?

do you see what you've done clark!? this is almost as bad as the joey preset thread! BE GONE NOOBZORDS!

Hi Clark, i need your help.

I've sat with your video tutorial and am really struggling
Ive added TH2 to an insert, although i've not added any preset its basically that fizzy nasty sound as ive removed the cabinet.
ive got the source tone on one track and separate track for my guitar.
Ive recorded myself playing the guitar riff that i'm trying to eq match
Now im a bit confused, the target is my guitar track right and the source is the original track im copying. Is that right?
Secondly im using Ozone 5 which is definitely simpler than ozone 4 and im sure ive followed the manually correctly but i cannot imprint the matched eq onto my target track, it just sounds fizzy like its not worked.
Any ideas here?

I think you need to run your riff and the original on the same track and switch the sim off when running the target.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Clark, yup thats worked.
Im running Ozone as an FX channel and its working fine.
Just modelled my guitar based on Dream Theater Pull Me Under, using the TSE X30 and ive got quite close with the default settings.
Whats really good about ozone 5 is the lower latency in comparison to v4

Hey guys, interesting thread. I have ozone but havent played much with match eq on there in the past. How well does it work on a track with a real cab and mic but this same method ( playing to an isolated riff from the recording )? Is there an advantage to using an impulse before creating the eq response? Would it make sense to create an impulse of my cab and then use that before doing the matching, thus making the end impulse / match eq work better with the actual cab / miced tracks ?

Hey guys, just thought i'd post this up. I was having a look at Gojiras tone, and thought I would try the demo of Izotope 5 to see if the match EQ had gotten even better. Here is the Intro to when of the songs on a way of all flesh. One of them is me, and one of them is pbviously the real thing. It does get damn close! (and im sure you'll know which is which, as this is pure amp modelling, but if it were applied to a recorded cab I think you'd be in for some trouble)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Gojira/Gojira B - Output - Stereo Out.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Gojira/Gojira A - Output - Stereo Out.mp3

Match EQing a real amp/cab setup will sound more realistic since you get a bit of the room breathing... not that this doesn't sound realistic enough with a modeler. Although if the modeler being used has a digital sounding distortion that might be possible to hear. In kev's case I'd say the top clip is the modeler. :) But still close.

Hmm... I've been doing tests with the Ozone 5 now and I must say it's a bit different. Just like XxSicRokerxX said earlier, you probably need to use some of the smoothing. I guess the Ozone 5 has an even more accurate match EQ and it makes the tone sound boxy. I just moved the smooth one click right so it still says that smoothing is on 0.0 but it takes the boxyness away. :)