YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Cool tutorial. I used to do this all the time, and still do sometimes - it works really nicely for covers. I actually still do it using curve eq though, so thanks for enlightening me that ozone does it better! I used this trick on this nevermore song

I suppose if you often use IR's it would be handy. For me, I'll always have Ozone and Cubase, so saving an Ozone preset would be just as easy for me.

I was more or less just making sure that simply doing the matching and leaving it at that and using Ozone, it would still work the same way/produce the same results.

Nate, one of the reasons for making an IR is because if you attach an IR instead of an instance of ozone, you will get much lower latency, so low usually that you can direct monitor with it. Your method is obviously just as good for mixing.
I havent used ozone personally for this, but thats the reason I used impulses instead of doing itdirectly with curve eq - I could not find a method that would not give me latency with vox curve eq.

Great!
I've made some presets of guitar sounds that I like! Probably it will help me to learn how to get my own great tones.
Thanks a lot for tutorials!

Edit: Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red and Nightwish sound almost the same. But I couldn't get good results with Masterplan - Crystal Night. That's my favourite tone. =(

Im still not sure ozone beats voxengo EQ yet, i'l have to do some more tests.

If it's CurveEQ you're talking about then it is nowhere near as accurate in matching EQ as Ozone. CurveEQ can only have 60 EQ values when Ozone has almost an unlimited amount of EQ values. You can use the smooth function in Ozone to get the CurveEQ effect. I wouldn't feel confident in an A/B test with such a loose match EQ.

Decided to give this another shot and now I'm pleasantly surprised how close to some tones I can get!
I think I got very close to this Paramore tone. I wonder why I couldn't do it with some other ones. Maybe the samples were just too short? Anyway, here it is... Me on the left and original on the right.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16723453/matchingtest2.mp3

Well there are factors that I thought were quite obvious but I guess there's no harm in sharing them.

Let's start with the fact that match EQ isn't 100% correct. It would be 100% correct if the source material was recorded on a DI box and you guys use the raw guitar tone and reference it in Ozone. Still it's extremely easy to get the tones correct so that you can't tell the difference between the original and your own tone. You just have to be a bit more precise.

Study your source:
-What kind of guitar was used? (single coil/humbucker)
-What kind of amp was used? (british/american)
-How much gain does the source have? (the best way to test this is to use a random IR that you've already got. just so you can hear the gain more clearly since without the cab it's hard to tell)
-How was the source played? (pick/fingers/what was muted/how much was things muted/how light/loud was the guitar being played)
-TUNE YOUR GUITAR ACCURATELY!! (having an out of tune guitar will lead to different frequencies being matched with each other, end result will sound like it's slightly out of phase)

If you really want close to 100% accurate results you might want to consider the things I mentioned here. Remember it's not really "that" complicated. All of those things I mentioned are things I also recommend you paying attention to whenever you're playing.

Unsurprisingly the more work you put into it, the better it will sound. I'd rather spend a minute checking those things I listed and getting an amazing IR than doing things quickly and ending up with a collection of IRs that don't really sound that great. I want them to be high quality so if I ever need to "re-amp" guitars I don't actually have to do anything else but start my TH2.

And BTW I made a video where I'm using the John Petrucci Damage Control match EQ'd tone:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you set it right, it captures the average eq curve, not just of the moment you press the button.
your settings about the time should look like this (right click on the curve and go to spectrum options):
settingsozone.JPG

works great for me, even if I just play something close to the original track, for example, most of
stuff Ola plays is tuned lower than any of my guitars but I just play to some of the parts that are
playable in my tuning and than I cut the bass in the matched eq a bit.
Works pretty good and the impulses I generated this way are better than everything I used before!

Hey! Not just for poor guitarists! :D

It's a very versatile tool for just about anything.

And yeah... the average time should be on INFINITE like I say in the video. :) Otherwise it will surely sound different.

Where do you guys get Ola's separated tracks? I SOOO want that H&K Triamp!

Wow, no offence to Ola since I really like how his guitar tracks sit in his genre but personally I think those raw amp sounds have too much bass and too little middle to make them work for me. But I guess his style is more of that percussive rhythm style and I'm all about shimmering middle-based tones. :)

Awesome post :) Is this not how ToneVampire does his IR collections? I've always wondered, although idk if he had made a walkthrough on doing it or not yet >_< Thx for the tut :)

For anyone still playing around with this great tutorial, I am having better results when i dont bring the SMOOTH all the way down. I do it by ear, if i bring it all the way down it sounds scratchy.

Well that won't give you the "exact" same tone. It'll give you a tone that's got similar EQ balance but it won't survive an A/B test. Just play more accurately and you can drop the smooth all the way down. Another reason why smoothing on zero won't work would be the fact that you didn't tune your guitar before the process. Smoothing works on clean parts since they are pretty much impossible to match EQ. :) But hey, there are no rules. Use it in a way that suits you best!