2008 Political debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a side note (and this is entirely independent of my views on Obama...FWIW I'm not entirely opposed to him), all the "ZOMG BARACK IS T3H BLACK...ZOMG HISTORY MAKING FTW LOLOLOLZ" bullshit is giving me a headache.

on a side note (and this is entirely independent of my views on Obama...FWIW I'm not entirely opposed to him), all the "ZOMG BARACK IS T3H BLACK...ZOMG HISTORY MAKING FTW LOLOLOLZ" bullshit is giving me a headache.

Understood, and I agree with EyeballKid in that the fanbois are pretty freaky, but still... it really is historic, and the fact that people are commenting on it is not bullshit. Irritating, yes, but they're not wrong in saying so. A mere fifty years ago, black people were second class citizens, and now we'll have our first one in the White House. It's a great advance.

But its not bullshit, hes the first black president lol.

If watching the TV or reading forum posts is giving you a headache, then I sincerely suggest that you should stop. :headbang:

Oh wow, hilarious:rolleyes:

There's no question, Canto, that he's the first non-white president...what an astute observation, but with everything at stake in this election I hardly think our new president's skin color should be a focal point. Nobody wanted race/gender to be an issue during the campaign so I don't see why it should be now.

Oh wow, hilarious:rolleyes:

There's no question, Canto, that he's the first non-white president...what an astute observation, but with everything at stake in this election I hardly think our new president's skin color should be a focal point. Nobody wanted race/gender to be an issue during the campaign so I don't see why it should be now.

You're cute.

Just put the TV on. Cool speech by Obama. Now lets see how he deals with all the bad shit going in America now! This will be interesting.

i think its good to have the first black president. however, that was not the reason why i preferred him. i found that he seemed more intelligent, articulate and forward thinking than mccain.

On a lighter note, did anyone partake in free Election Day stuff? I got free coffee at Starbucks and was at work during the Ben & Jerry's free scoop time window. There's no Krispy Kreme around here so I didn't get a free donut. Apparently you can get a free sex toy at Babeland if you say you voted :lol:

There was free pizza and drinks in the school cafe with the election coverage on the big projection screen...but by the time I got out of rehearsal it was all gone:erk:

I just don't see why it's good or bad, it's just a statement of fact.

It's more the older pundits on TV who are making it out to be a big deal. As I said before, when they were our age, black people were treated like shit, and in some parts of the country they still are. For a black person to be elected the executive is a far cry away from when they could remember them being hosed in the streets and seeing crosses burned on lawns. I consistently find that our generation doesn't really perceive race as an obstacle or an asset the way older people tend to.

Gotta go with Meeds on all this...

The fact that a black man can be the President of the United States is historical. We have witnessed history, for all of the reasons that have been previously stated. We've come a long way in 50 years and it's incredible.

The fact that Barack Obama is the first black President of the United States is not historical. It's been two hours since the announcement, and I haven't heard anything except "this is a great day for America because we have a black President Elect."

No one saying "this is a great day for America because we have a great President Elect." Not that I'm calling into question his plans, etc., but I'm just hoping people start talking about the man and not the symbol of the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.