2008 Political debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know why those countries grow? It's because you shrink. Another warmongering president won't fix that. Whatever you choose I hope it works out cuz I don't like Russian and Chinese foreign politics more than I like American and those are the countries that are ready to try and take the #1 world power position if you step down.

Firstly, how can you sort stuff out with leaders of other countries without dialogue? Difficult I would imagine.

As far as the 'corrupt' groups such as the UN, NATO and IAEA go, it's worth noting the USA is quite prepared to use them to further it's own aims when it needs them to, but denounces them as corrupt when they fail to come back with the answers that USA wants. But yes, I think the UN can be considered to be corrupt - the idea of 5 countries (and incidentally the 5 biggest arms dealers!!) having a veto in such an organisation is, quite frankly, preposterous.

So the USA needs a hard-nosed leader eh? Well what do you think you've had over the last few years? Bu$h has pissed off a large part of the world with his gung-ho attitude to pretty much everything, and with the burgeoning of religious fundamentalism in USA, military overreach abroad and the ongoing bankrupting of a once-great country, how much more hard-nosed do you want? While America has been floating on foreign cash, the likes of Russia and China have been doing very well for themselves by being a lot more savvy with their economics. I really don't think they need to try too hard to become the next economic or military force, USA is doing a fine enough job of disappearing up its own ass as it is.

The point about sorting out issues at home is well made though, we have the same issues in Britain. Some of our governments need to address their own domestic issues before trying to dictate to others.

I haven't heard the UN termed "corrupt" - "inept" and "ineffective", perhaps.

It's a difficult balancing act with issues at home and issues abroad. How do we stop Putin's regime from bringing back the old USSR and at the same time shore up our homelands? As a Briton, you're facing similar issues as the US.

I'm not sure I would call their economics more savvy though. They are using them to their advantage though, and if their investments turn to militarism, we can see major conflicts uprising.

Many nations have formed alliances with western countries, and they expect our military might to be used to protect them. We do that, both the US and Britain, and many other allied nations. I don't think we can stop.

Watching the stream of MSNBC's original 9/11 coverage was rather interesting this morning. Calls by our news commentators (Couric, Brokaw) at the time were that we were being attacked by terrorists and that we "are at war". Why have they now flip-flopped their rhetoric to criticize the same war machine they had absolutely no qualms tossing across the airwaves seven years ago? I think we all have short memories, and since there has not been a major offense against us (the West) in seven years (aside from the Spain train bombings and the London bus bomb), we tend to forget the events and tragedies that led us to our current situation. Look at the learnings of the Bush administration over that same time period - he has put in place a good foreign policy over the last several years of open diplomacy and restrained military. People don't seem to see that point though. If Obama talks of change on the foreign policies of the Bush administration, does that then mean he will start attacking other countries? Or does he really mean that he will continue what Bush has put in place, much like McCain has been accused of by the Obama camp?

Yes, what put us here in the first place were the attacks on 9/11 by AFGHANISTAN. What happened was Bush never even finished hunting down Osama bin Laden in order to declare war on Iraq for no real good reason. So basically what is going on in Iraq now really doesn't have anything at all to do with 9/11. Bush only used the emotions of ignorant people (brought on by 9/11) to justify a war in Iraq so that he could finish what his daddy started many years before.

J-Dub...l couldn't have put it any better myself. This country is slowly pussing out. We need a tough leader...alot of times when you need something the most it shows up. l believe McCain is that tough leader. Putin would mop the floor with B. Hussein Obama.

So the USA needs a hard-nosed leader eh? Well what do you think you've had over the last few years? Bu has pissed off a large part of the world with his gung-ho attitude to pretty much everything,

l don't have a problem with that. Maybe some pussies in England or extreme liberals in the US do...but not me.

the likes of Russia and China have been doing very well for themselves by being a lot more savvy with their economics.

Russia is doing it on oil/gas alone holding the better part of Europe captive...China on the backs of their cheap labor/slaves. No need for savvy l see.

The US could strengthen our position & lighten our need for foreign influence (i.e. oil) if we would open up drilling again...but those damn liberal Dems want to save an owl or caribou somewhere.:rolleyes:

I think one of the biggest things I like about him is his ability and willingness to use foreign policy. Obama made what I think of national defense pretty clear in his interview with O'Reilly. He is NOT afraid to use military should the need arise; however, it seems that over the last 8 years military force has been the first step instead of a last resort.

I don't buy Obama using military force EVER. Just a hunch... I don't know about it being the first step, weren't there a bunch of resolutions that Iraq, for example repeatedly, and continually violated? Not that those resolutions had any fire behind them, considering the orginization they came from.

I don't see why just because we don't act as a bully that we can be considered pussies? I don't know how you can use spanking children and war in the same example either as they are TOTALLY different things. I am all for spanking/disciplining children and can agree with you that recently in our country doing so is seen as a horrible thing for some reason, but the thought that we should just use violence and force on other countries to show them "who's boss" should be left to those such as the shooters of Columbine/VA Tech. "We were teased so now we are going to go shooting everyone in sight!". That is what people who are so adamant to go to war sound like to me. That's not a great example but when you think about it, it is the same type of gung-ho attitude really.

Pussification of the US and current events ARE 2 different things, I mentioned the Pussifcation as a sidebar, sort of a measuring stick as to define when (IMO) this country started going down the shitter...

For the rest of his paragraph, sometimes the yapping, ankle biting little dog needs to cracked across his snout. If you want to call that being gung ho, so be it. Keep watching the world events, if you can't see the alliance forming, you will when all hell breaks lose. I'm not advocating it, but the storm clouds ARE forming on the horizon. If you remember a past thread, I'm still hoping for the comet/asteroid impact to "adjust" the current situation going on right now.

I still say that the bigger issue with the US using force, is that they need to be allowed to get in and do their job, without the embedded "referees".
Time for the US & its allies to not guarantee the media protection in war zone.
:heh:

A concern of mine is that John McCain is old coupled with the fact that his running mate has inexperience, something he spent months talking shit on Obama for (hypocritical much?). He's had cancer twice, he's over 70 years old and Sarah Palin is literally a heartbeat away from being leader of the free world. Being "this close" to Russia doesn't count as having foreign policy experience. Being staunchly pro-life will lead to coathanger abortions again, who wants that? When watching the RNC I saw many people with signs and buttons saying stuff like "I'm with the hot chick," "Palin is sexy," etc. which trivializes her already pitiful credentials. As a running mate I much prefer Joe Biden, and it does show that Obama is aware of his lack of experience so of course he would want to surround himself with older and wiser colleagues, similar to what George Bush did with Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice.

So someone with cancer can't be president? (jmbaa-Just me being an asshole:)) It is funny how the Pres/VP roles are reversed between the 2.
I am very much pro choice, and any kind of diehard pro lifer terrifies me.

World War III will be awesome, thanks America.

You want you colonies back? :) As ABQ said, it won't be us throwing the first "punch", but if anything like this happens, I hope we're throwing the LAST punch.

Proactive versus reactive comes to mind here. Do we want to let foreign maniacal dictators grow unbounded, or do we want to take actions now to limit their growth and influence in the world? In my mind, the latter will put us on the doorstep of WWIII much faster than the former. WWIII will not be started by America, Swabs, regardless of your opinion.

Yep, I gree with you 100% on this. Of course anything we want to do proactively will be critizied due to the 2nd Iraq war...

Brilliance. Couldn't have said it better myself.

When Ann Coulter isn't just being a C**T, she's f'ing awesome. This, is awesome! :headbang:

Firstly, how can you sort stuff out with leaders of other countries without dialogue? Difficult I would imagine.

Some you can talk to, some you can't....The leader of Iran (I won't even try to spell his name....), is an example of this, as is Kadahfy

As far as the 'corrupt' groups such as the UN, NATO and IAEA go, it's worth noting the USA is quite prepared to use them to further it's own aims when it needs them to, but denounces them as corrupt when they fail to come back with the answers that USA wants. But yes, I think the UN can be considered to be corrupt - the idea of 5 countries (and incidentally the 5 biggest arms dealers!!) having a veto in such an organisation is, quite frankly, preposterous.

We HAVE to use them as sort of an international checks & balances. It doesn't always work out our way, as history has proven. If you need a prime example of corruption, how about Kofi Anan's son & the oil for food clusterphuck the UN started?

So the USA needs a hard-nosed leader eh? Well what do you think you've had over the last few years? Bu has pissed off a large part of the world with his gung-ho attitude to pretty much everything, and with the burgeoning of religious fundamentalism in USA, military overreach abroad and the ongoing bankrupting of a once-great country, how much more hard-nosed do you want? While America has been floating on foreign cash, the likes of Russia and China have been doing very well for themselves by being a lot more savvy with their economics. I really don't think they need to try too hard to become the next economic or military force, USA is doing a fine enough job of disappearing up its own ass as it is.

In some aspects, I agree with you, but if there is a show down with Russia for eample, I'd much rather have McCain staring across the table from Putin, than Obama. I think Slick Willie would be QUITE a pushover, again, JMHFO.

The point about sorting out issues at home is well made though, we have the same issues in Britain. Some of our governments need to address their own domestic issues before trying to dictate to others.

I have LOTS to say about this (total agreement here) but in order not to offend, I will keep my mouth shut here, but will gladly discuss offline what has become a problem in the UK, Norway, and eventually will be in the US

I haven't heard the UN termed "corrupt" - "inept" and "ineffective", perhaps.

It's a difficult balancing act with issues at home and issues abroad. How do we stop Putin's regime from bringing back the old USSR and at the same time shore up our homelands? As a Briton, you're facing similar issues as the US.

I'm not sure I would call their economics more savvy though. They are using them to their advantage though, and if their investments turn to militarism, we can see major conflicts uprising.

Many nations have formed alliances with western countries, and they expect our military might to be used to protect them. We do that, both the US and Britain, and many other allied nations. I don't think we can stop.

Watching the stream of MSNBC's original 9/11 coverage was rather interesting this morning. Calls by our news commentators (Couric, Brokaw) at the time were that we were being attacked by terrorists and that we "are at war". Why have they now flip-flopped their rhetoric to criticize the same war machine they had absolutely no qualms tossing across the airwaves seven years ago? I think we all have short memories, and since there has not been a major offense against us (the West) in seven years (aside from the Spain train bombings and the London bus bomb), we tend to forget the events and tragedies that led us to our current situation. Look at the learnings of the Bush administration over that same time period - he has put in place a good foreign policy over the last several years of open diplomacy and restrained military. People don't seem to see that point though. If Obama talks of change on the foreign policies of the Bush administration, does that then mean he will start attacking other countries? Or does he really mean that he will continue what Bush has put in place, much like McCain has been accused of by the Obama camp?

Another post made out of awesome! :kickass:
For UN corruption, see the oil for food program....:mad:

J-Dub...l couldn't have put it any better myself. This country is slowly pussing out. We need a tough leader...alot of times when you need something the most it shows up. l believe McCain is that tough leader. Putin would mop the floor with B. Hussein Obama.

You know, we don't argue enough with each other anymore! :lol:

Before I even read your post, while composing mine above, I have EXACTLY the same feelings about Obama in that same situation. He'd be a pushover, and the pussification effect would double...:erk::zombie:

The fact that you're voting for McCain based on how he would perform in War with the multiple countries you have stated. Means you probably expect War with these countries, that is exactly the wrong kind of mindset to have.

Also I like the way you referred to America invading other countries as "doing their job". It's not your job.

"Oh lets not vote for a President that could sort out our fucked up country. Lets vote for a President who will be great at fucking up other countries."

:rolleyes:

The fact that you're voting for McCain based on how he would perform in War with the multiple countries you have stated. Means you probably expect War with these countries, that is exactly the wrong kind of mindset to have.

Also I like the way you referred to America invading other countries as "doing their job". It's not your job.

"Oh lets not vote for a President that could sort out our fucked up country. Lets vote for a President who will be great at fucking up other countries."

Couldn't have said it better :)

Its sad when people think McCain will be a better leader because coming from a military background he will do well leading these wars that people seem to be adamant to have...?

We need a tough leader...alot of times when you need something the most it shows up. l believe McCain is that tough leader. Putin would mop the floor with B. Hussein Obama.
There's a difference between being tough and being a trigger-happy bully. Republicans like to pretend they're the tough guys and the only people who can defend America...look where that's gotten us, we're more unsafe and disrespected now than ever.

PUSSIFICATION...this needs to be an official topic of discussion at the debates...just to hear a moderator ask Obama or McCain about the "rampant pussification of America" would make my year :D

BTW, does anyone else find Sarah Palin's voice extremely annoying?? :erk:

Sorry, but I'm a realist. I don' live in a fantasy world where we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. You & I will both be coal or oil before there is true worldwide peace. Jews & Palestinians have been at at for THOUSANDS of years, just as an example. It's not going to end anytime soon.

Then WHO'S job is it? Iran is building a reactor, do we sit and play nice with the UN while those clusterfucks try to decide how to handle it, or do we (more likely Israel) take it out BEFORE it becomes an issue? Is the UK going to do anything about it? Are any other of our so called allies (not dissing the UK here) going to do anything about it? Fuck, you guys are closer, YOU deal with it. You know as well as I do it doesn't work that way. A few posts up we discussed the whole world police thing. It's a catch-22 for us, we're damned if we do, and REALLY bad things will happen if we don't..

Then again, if you keep your head in the sand long enough, you'll NEVER see it coming.....So says Dubstradamus! :)

Couldn't have said it better :)

Its sad when people think McCain will be a better leader because coming from a military background he will do well leading these wars that people seem to be adamant to have...?

Are you taking estrogen pills? :lol:
Seriously, and this should have been on my last post to Swabs as well...
If THIS was my sole deciding factor, than yeah, it might be a little odd. Then again, it's my fucking vote, to do with as I see fit. Just like music, when it comes to politics, it really just boils down to your opinion or mine.

There's a difference between being tough and being a trigger-happy bully. Republicans like to pretend they're the tough guys and the only people who can defend America...look where that's gotten us, we're more unsafe and disrespected now than ever.

PUSSIFICATION...this needs to be an official topic of discussion at the debates...just to hear a moderator ask Obama or McCain about the "rampant pussification of America" would make my year :D

BTW, does anyone else find Sarah Palin's voice extremely annoying?? :erk:

1) I stand by my OPINION of the PERSON being able to handle a "crisis" situation, it has ZERO to do with whether they are Donkey or Elephant.

2) I'd love to moderate that debate....Without bias, of course! :)

3) Yes, her voice is annoying. But it's a far cry from the nails on the chalkboard that is Hillary....

Since some of us appear to speak a different language, I thought I'd let a conservative make the case for Obama's foreign policy.

Larry Hunter said:
I'm a lifelong Republican - a supply-side conservative. I worked in the Reagan White House. I was the chief economist at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for five years. In 1994, I helped write the Republican Contract with America. I served on Bob Dole's presidential campaign team and was chief economist for Jack Kemp's Empower America.

This November, I'm voting for Barack Obama.

When I first made this decision, many colleagues were shocked. How could I support a candidate with a domestic policy platform that's antithetical to almost everything I believe in?

The answer is simple: Unjustified war and unconstitutional abridgment of individual rights vs. ill-conceived tax and economic policies - this is the difference between venial and mortal sins.

Taxes, economic policy and health care reform matter, of course. But how we extract ourselves from the bloody boondoggle in Iraq, how we avoid getting into a war with Iran and how we preserve our individual rights while dealing with real foreign threats - these are of greater importance.

John McCain would continue the Bush administration's commitment to interventionism and constitutional overreach. Obama promises a humbler engagement with our allies, while promising retaliation against any enemy who dares attack us. That's what conservatism used to mean - and it's what George W. Bush promised as a candidate.

Plus, when it comes to domestic issues, I don't take Obama at his word. That may sound cynical. But the fact that he says just about all the wrong things on domestic issues doesn't bother me as much as it once would have. After all, the Republicans said all the right things - fiscal responsibility, spending restraint - and it didn't mean a thing. It is a sad commentary on American politics today, but it's taken as a given that politicians, all of them, must pander, obfuscate and prevaricate.

Besides, I suspect Obama is more free-market friendly than he lets on. He taught at the University of Chicago, a hotbed of right-of-center thought. His economic advisers, notably Austan Goolsbee, recognize that ordinary citizens stand to gain more from open markets than from government meddling. That's got to rub off.

When it comes to health care, I am hoping Obama quietly recognizes that a crusade against ************** companies would result in the opposite of any intended effect. And in any event, McCain's plans in this area are deeply problematic, too. Take drug reimportation. McCain (like Obama) says he's perfectly comfortable with this ill-conceived scheme, which would drive research and development dollars away from the next generation of miracle cures.

But overall, based on his embrace of centrist advisers and policies, it seems likely that Obama will turn out to be in the mold of John Kennedy - who was fond of noting that "a rising tide lifts all boats." Over the last few decades, economic growth has made Americans at every income level better off. For all his borderline pessimistic rhetoric, Obama knows this. And I believe he is savvy enough to realize that the real threat to middle-class families and the poor - an economic undertow that drags everyone down - cannot be counteracted by an activist government.

Or maybe not. But here's the thing: Even if my hopes on domestic policy are dashed and Obama reveals himself as an unreconstructed, dyed-in-the-wool, big-government liberal, I'm still voting for him.

These past eight years, we have spent over a trillion dollars on foreign soil - and lost countless lives - and done what I consider irreparable damage to our Constitution.

If economic damage from well-intentioned but misbegotten Obama economic schemes is the ransom we must pay him to clean up this foreign policy mess, then so be it. It's not nearly as costly as enduring four more years of what we suffered the last eight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.