2009 Music

gave a listen to the new Russian Circles "Geneva" pretty amazing. the title track is just unbelievable and overall it might be there best release yet.

New Immortal is impressive, it's thrashy and sounds much closer to At the heart of winter rather than SoNDs.

Well, new Hypocrisy is a stinker, 4 years and they come out with this crap? I'm done with them.

New Shadows Fall is a surprise though. I wrote them off the past few records, but they upped the acoustics, thrash and heavy parts. Took out most of the whiny vocals Matt does. I think it's solid except for that LOG vocalist ruining a chorus.

I, as an epic AIC fanboy, am very impressed with the new album, it's fucking brilliant. It doesn't hold a candle to Dirt, but it still is a hell of a beautiful, dirty and intense heavy rock album that few bands could dream of making.

William DuVall is a badass.

I actually like the new AiC the best out of their entire catalogue. It never quite reaches the hight of songs like Rooster or Down in a Hole, but imo it's their most solid record overall. I really liked DuVall as well although he didn't get much vox time this album.

Well, new Hypocrisy is a stinker, 4 years and they come out with this crap? I'm done with them.

New Shadows Fall is a surprise though. I wrote them off the past few records, but they upped the acoustics, thrash and heavy parts. Took out most of the whiny vocals Matt does. I think it's solid except for that LOG vocalist ruining a chorus.

I'm truly interested actually, considering you're tastes. You're probably way on or way off on the SF thing. I'll check it out :)

I'm kinda mixed on the new album. It's not impressive but it's not a stinker either, there are some good songs (Weed Out the Weak, Global Domination, The Quest) but the rest are pretty standard/generic - but still listenable. It's like a mix of Virus and middle-era albums (Abducted, The Final Chapter etc). So imo it's not that bad they could of done a lot worse... Catch 22 V 2009!

I actually like the new AiC the best out of their entire catalogue. It never quite reaches the hight of songs like Rooster or Down in a Hole, but imo it's their most solid record overall. I really liked DuVall as well although he didn't get much vox time this album.

For me it's better than tripod and that's it, I even like Cantrell's Degradation Trip more than this album. BGWTB still is 9/10 amazing album though, no doubt about it.

For me it's better than tripod and that's it, I even like Cantrell's Degradation Trip more than this album. BGWTB still is 9/10 amazing album though, no doubt about it.
Don't know where I rank it in their catalogue yet, but it's fucking great anyway.

Might agree with Adam about it being very consistent, where the older albums had several songs on it that stood out way above the rest, more than on this album.

I'm kinda mixed on the new album. It's not impressive but it's not a stinker either, there are some good songs (Weed Out the Weak, Global Domination, The Quest) but the rest are pretty standard/generic - but still listenable. It's like a mix of Virus and middle-era albums (Abducted, The Final Chapter etc). So imo it's not that bad they could of done a lot worse... Catch 22 V 2009!

Virus being by far the best Hypocrisy album.

Got the new AiC threw it in the ol' car disc player, and BAM!! Rock n' roll. Driving cd of the year my friends. Who's with me?

Since I haven't really been downloading/buying in the last 3 months or so, I think I've been able to give myself more time to reflect on the releases I have. So currently these are the ones from 2009 I find myself wanting to listen to most:

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Stabat Mater - Stabat Mater
Katharsis - Fourth Reich

Also there's Mournful Congregation whose album was really good but the only problem I run into is I rarely have time to devote my full attention to lengthy funeral doom album any more and when I get the time I usually invest it in some Esoteric.

And some mentions that I feel are pretty good but rarely feel like listening to due to simply losing a lot of passion for the band in question:

Isis - Wavering Radiant (I feel this is right up there with Isis' other work, just haven't been feeling Isis as much lately)
Beherit - Engram
maudlin of the Well - Part the Second (Easily my favorite by them, but..see the note w/ Isis)
Porcupine Tree - The Incident (I do regard this as a disappointment right now, but will acknowledge that I just haven't been into PT as much lately and haven't given it as much of a chance as I gave FOABP before passing final judgement)

Biggest disappointment:
Funeral Mist - Maranatha (A few decent songs on here but also some bad stuff and mediocre to decent just isn't enough to follow Devilry and Salvation)

Worst album:
Dream Theater, duh..