A simple but probably challenging thread

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

Dark brooding atmosphere throughout the album of epic heaviness, with beautiful riffs and berserker vocals. With the exception of throwaway first track and the cover of Toccata in Dm, this album is perfect.

Also notable Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force

Great album with shredding solos and speedy dual guitar melodies. Coupled with the best high pitched vocals since Halford.

As my username suggests, my favorite album of all time is Helloween's Walls of Jericho.

This album is, in my opinion, the single most influential album for power metal. Power metal today would not be the same, in fact, it may not even exist, if not for this album. I listen to at least a song or two from this album almost everyday, and it never gets old.

david: i knew you'd end up preferring BTWM to ASTNB ;) both totally rule though

mad river - s/t
stood on my doorstep after you'd gone
heart full of feathers and pieces of bone
went to the river hoping you'd come
your eyes full of lightning, your hair all undone

a rambling drug-maimed sickness aching with wild, vivid imagery, tragically flailing towards images of ecstasy from a place of overwhelming decay and dissolution. the product of an absurdly complex and pained mindset and so, despite referencing stuff like quicksilver messenger service and country joe & the fish, it's singularly strange, enigmatic and poetic, verging upon atonality at times but never lacking total control and focus. 4 of its 6 songs are note-for-note perfect, which beats out any metal album ever recorded (as much as i love already mentioned masterworks like 'far away from the sun' and 'the red in the sky is ours', they're neither as consistent nor as blazingly original, emotive, inventive). it contains my favourite vocal performance of all time (hammond's ghoulish howl lines the labyrinthine music like a cobweb), maybe my favourite production job of all time, certainly my favourite song of all time (eastern light). i wish i could do it justice.

Arcane Sun - s/t

Ever since I found this album back in 2001, I've come back to it many times, and never come away disappointed, bored, or in a hurry. A combo of death metal, black metal, piano, harsh and clean vocals all under a doom umbrella, it remains something I treasure more than any gold.

I'm kind of amazed that there are so many people who can actually select a 'favorite album' here. I find the idea not only impossible, but a bit ridiculous, unless there's some extremely intense emotional association that one shares with the album.

As far as metal albums go, my favourite is probably The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock the Shrine

Every song is memorable as an individual piece of work, combined with a consistantly dark and powerful atmosphere, it's everything I could want from a metal release.

You don't have to necessarily choose a definitive all time favorite album. My favorite albums constantly change and there are a fuck-ton more that could replace or almost replace Far Away From the Sun. I've held that album, in particular, in high regard for years so I felt like it was appropriate for it to hold the "My Personal Favorite Album" position.

that album still contains my favourite trio of songs in metal (alongside 'with fear i kiss the burning darkness' anyway), but the rest is just great rather than AMAZINGAFLASKDJJ (actually, stuff like 'blood shall be spilled' isn't necessarily even great).

I'm going to go with Electric Wizard's Dopethrone. When I had first heard it... I had listened to some metal stuff... metallica... megadeth... rob zombie, ya know... the stuff you actually hear on the radio sometimes.

It just blew me away entirely... it was so heavy... it was like nothing I'd ever heard and listening to it literally just made me feel... good.
It peaked my curiosity.. it made me dig deeper into something that would eventually become a part of my everyday life.

I still play the album about once a week in my car and enjoy it just as much as the first time, about 4 years later. It's my obvious choice.

I'm kind of amazed that there are so many people who can actually select a 'favorite album' here. I find the idea not only impossible, but a bit ridiculous, unless there's some extremely intense emotional association that one shares with the album.

Could not agree more.

My head would sooner implode than allow me to decide on one, SINGLE almighty perfect album.