AA - in a league of their own? Or not?

Are we just listing fucking bands in this thread? if so....

VAN CANTO

funny ass shit take a look...
metal a capella.....if this....you know what? im just going to let you see for yourself...

EDIT: id soooooooooooooooooooooo motorboat that chick

not sure if im right, but umm is the drummer wearing thors hammer lol

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: id soooooooooooooooooooooo motorboat that chick

I second that man, that opened hoodie is really just to show off her talents. Its the first thing i noticed after what indeed seems to be a Thor's hammer pendant around the drummer's neck...
The music is pretty shitty though... goes to show that originality sometimes just sucks.

As for bands like AA, Heaven Shall Burn comes to mind. I actually hardly know this band. I've only heard two songs (i couldn't name them) but I thought about AA instantly whilst listening to them.

Well, after spending an insane amount of reading reviews on Encyclopedia Metallicum and checking out songs on MySpace, I've come to the conclusion that AA are indeed in a league of there own.

Most of the other "viking metal" bands i listened to had a bit too much synth for my taste (with the exception of Ensiferum and Wintersun -- that shit is killer!).

AA seems to be the only band with the uncanny knack for acheiving a symphonic type sound on guitars alone -- without any synth. That's what sets them apart IMO..

Anyways, thanks for all your suggestions!

Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, The Absence, Blind Guardian, Dragonland(stupid name, awesome band), Demons and Wizards, and Avanstasia.

Hey did it ever happen to any of you that you left the house in a rush and forgot your iPod and can't get rid of the guitar solo in Victorious March? I think that speaks for its own.

Ja ja, that song is like heroin to me. :)

Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, The Absence, Blind Guardian, Dragonland(stupid name, awesome band), Demons and Wizards, and Avanstasia.

I think several of those bands are headed stateside in the near future for the "Pagan Fest" tour. Should be rad. :headbang:

I've only been listening to Ensiferum for the last week or so, but i get the feeling they're not the same without that Jari dude. His Wintersun project rocks the house though.

whelp, if you like Amon Amarth then check out Unleashed, Bloodbath, Blood Red Throne. There's a few others...oh yeah, uhh Martriden? :oops::lol:

Hypocrisy is a good one, one of the few comparable bands to Amon Amarth really. and they also put on a badass live show..not in the vikingly epic style that Amon does.but still..an awesome show. and can't forget...GOJIRA.

Talk about songs stuck in your head... I can't get Tyr's Regin Smiður out of mine, and I can't understand the words! It's maddening I tell you!
know what you mean tyr are that kind of band.i'm going to see them at leeds in april.i only saw half there set when they opened for amon amarth and wintersun.and boy was i pissed off,so i can't wait to see them again.
DSC00120.jpg

I second Edge of Sanity's Crimson - Dan Swanö is masterful.

I couldnt say these bands are anything like AA, but have you checked out Mikael from Opeth (you can never go wrong with the mighty Mikael, and he is also featured on Crimson with Dan) as well as some Finnish stuff like my current favourite Moonsorrow (though thats more folk/BM), or along the doom/death veins such as Swallow the Sun? Mikko from STS is an EXCELLENT death vocalist, even if I do say so myself!

I second Edge of Sanity's Crimson - Dan Swanö is masterful.

I couldnt say these bands are anything like AA, but have you checked out Mikael from Opeth (you can never go wrong with the mighty Mikael, and he is also featured on Crimson with Dan) as well as some Finnish stuff like my current favourite Moonsorrow (though thats more folk/BM), or along the doom/death veins such as Swallow the Sun? Mikko from STS is an EXCELLENT death vocalist, even if I do say so myself!

Gods I love me some Opeth :headbang: