Absolutely 100% PERFECT albums...

In the Woods... - "Strange in Stereo"

"Omnio" does miss 0,1% for being "perfect" (the 1 sec. break between "Omnio? -bardo" and "Omnio? -post" seems a bit misplaced, it interrupts the flow of the song - that bothers me nearly every time I listen to this 26 minutes epos)

FlamePrincess-
"I bring Morningrise with me as my 'test CD' when buying new stereo equipment."

On the same note, Still Life would be my choice for testing.

Metalman-
Nothing is 100% perfect, as perfect is absolute. Even Ivory soap is only 99.99% pure.

:lol: Good answer. However, I'm betting that *perfect* was spliced with *favorite* and overall, used rather loosely. [color=sky blue]Opeth's My Arms...[/color] and [color=sky blue]Novembre's Classica[/color] come as close as it gets to perfect for me.

Mmm, for me...

Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish you Were Here

To be honest, I haven't heard many CD's where I never consider skipping a track, these are it for me, unless I'm in a rush. :)

Opeth - Still life
Opeth - Orchid
Meshuggah - Contradictions collapse
Carcass - Necroticism
Tool - Aenima
Radiohead - OK Computer
Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme
Jeff Buckley - Grace

May I ask why some of you have put Tool - AEnima down as a perfect album? It has several "filler" tracks which plain suck, not even proper songs. A pity, seeing as it has some excellent songs such as "AEnima", "Eulogy" and "Stinkfist".

Originally posted by diso
I can't concievably believe anyone would regard morningrise as a perfect album. It may have beautifully written songs but not unlike the way I feel about ..and justice, it sounds AWFUL. Forget jibberish about it sounding less like a produced metal album, it sounds like it was recorded with a handheld tape recorder. The guitars sound very weak and mikael sounds like he's singing in a empty hall with the mic 50 meters from his mouth.

Absolutely right you are. The drums are even worse, sometimes the snare is just totally blurred in the mix, like some dude f*cked around with a drumcomputer and cut off the snare-sample or something. and the bass guitar sounds way too sleazy, more like an unplugged electric guitar with loosened strings.

Originally posted by thebigfish
Absolutely right you are. The drums are even worse, sometimes the snare is just totally blurred in the mix, like some dude f*cked around with a drumcomputer and cut off the snare-sample or something. and the bass guitar sounds way too sleazy, more like an unplugged electric guitar with loosened strings.

Obviously I have some sort of supermixed copy because I don't hear these imperfections other people do.

Bass guitar sleazy? Shit, this is one of the few albums I own where there's even a point to have a bass player in the band.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Dream theater - Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
Opeth - Blackwater Park
LOK - Naken Blästrad och Skitsur
Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers (somebody is going to kill me for that one)

there are lots more, but I don't know which...

Originally posted by Interesti
May I ask why some of you have put Tool - AEnima down as a perfect album? It has several "filler" tracks which plain suck, not even proper songs. A pity, seeing as it has some excellent songs such as "AEnima", "Eulogy" and "Stinkfist".

Although I put Lateralus instead of AEnima as a perfect album from Tool...... I think that you misunderstand the "filler" tracks..... I think they are pretty cool and help the overall atmosphere and strangeness of the album..... they make it sound much less straightfoward.....

"Cesaro Summability" is utterly creepy..... the baby followed by the wierd static noises freaks me out..... "Die Eier Von Satan" is pretty scary-sounding too...... and "(-) Ions" just sounds really cool...... I think they all enhance the album......

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Instrumentation, songwriting, and energy are within a band's control; oftentimes, production is not. So I've taken the liberty of ignoring the 'production' clause of the original question.

The only album I'd ever consider absolutely perfect is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. That's not to say it's my favorite album of all time, not even close, but it really is just perfect...

Dark Side of the Moon came close but On The Run was a complete waste of space. If taht song would've been deleted this would've made it. Opeth's Orchid was also close, but if only the production was a tad better! Rrrrrrrrr it pisses me off. Other than that Orchid is perfect too.

Myrkskog - Deathmachine
Yes. Even the closing remix. Incredibly complex layering, wild riffing, and through it all, it manages to deliver some amazing melodies.

The Crown - Deathrace King
I don't think I've ever skipped tracks on this album more than 10 times since I've had it. With all of these thrash/death revivals that use Reign In Blood as their blueprint, and then ultimately fail, it's nice to see someone realize that the variety of the Seasons in the Abyss formula is the way to go.

Slayer - Reign in Blood
If I have to explain this to you...

My perfect album is Symphony X's V.

If I liked death vocals more, it'd be Dan Swanö's Moontower.

Opeth - Blackwater Park, Damnation
Novembre - Classica, Novembrine Waltz
Emperor - IX Equilibrium, Prometheus
Agalloch - The Mantle
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Nile - At the Catacombs of Nephran-ka
Death - Symbolic
Isis - Oceanic

Out of some 2500 CD's I have, it's very tough to name any perfect album.
Some come close, though :)

As for production, Jim, I don't know what system you have, but Nightfall In Middle Earth sound is close to perfect as I've heard :)

@gaz:

Nightfall does sound pretty thin. I think it was produced by Flemming Rassmussen, notorious butcher of Metallica's . . . And Justice For All, if I'm not mistaken