Albums you hate that most people like

People who jump straight from Limp Bizkit to Burzum doesn´t seem trustworthy to me,you know? I dont think that kind of people will still be into metal in 5 years. I started off with bands like Metallica,Dio and Mercyful Fate around 15 years ago and i think that gives me a different musical foundation,i´m still as interested in metal as ever.

People who jump straight from Limp Bizkit to Burzum doesn´t seem trustworthy to me,you know? I dont think that kind of people will still be into metal in 5 years. I started off with bands like Metallica,Dio and Mercyful Fate around 15 years ago and i think that gives me a different musical foundation,i´m still as interested in metal as ever.

good point actually. Do you also maybe mean like trnedy people? who just try to be metal right? and shit like that.
Theres some idiots who just listen to metal, death metal or whatever, to be metal and evil etc. fucking idiots

i've never met anyone who just listens to metal to be trendy, but I know they're out there somewhere...

i've never met anyone who just listens to metal to be trendy, but I know they're out there somewhere...

Oh there´s lots of them.
A guy i know who had been into Eminem a year earlier saw me wearing a Dio shirt and said like "That shit fucking sucks,i only listen to brutal stuff like Necrophagist"

People who got into Metal through the foundational bands and worked their way through developmentally are just all around better people.

I got into metal with a different set of bands than the 80's group, other than Metallica.
I started with a lot of Nu-Metal and Hard Rock.
My first steps into metal were taken with Slipknot, Korn, Metallica, Pantera, and even Nirvana. Then, randomly I watched Headbanger' Ball one day and heard Lamb of God, and every since then I've been looking for heavier and heavier bands.
I gradually came in to metal, just a more embarrassing path.

People who got into Metal through the foundational bands and worked their way through developmentally are just all around better people.

...and understand the genre better.

All the scene kids in my school have their fucking hair cut over their eyes and wear deathcore band shirts that have ridiculous names. When I ask them about Morbid Angel or Mayhem they say "IDK!". I than get the "you dont know anything abut metal, you like Interpol!" Its insane. 1349 seem to be huge within the whole scene kid thing right now.

I got into metal with a different set of bands than the 80's group, other than Metallica.
I started with a lot of Nu-Metal and Hard Rock.
My first steps into metal were taken with Slipknot, Korn, Metallica, Pantera, and even Nirvana. Then, randomly I watched Headbanger' Ball one day and heard Lamb of God, and every since then I've been looking for heavier and heavier bands.
I gradually came in to metal, just a more embarrassing path.

Same here, except replace Lamb of God with Arch Enemy. I always say I got into metal sideways.

I got into metal by two ways. The first way was into black metal, which was through The Kovenant, a band I got into through Rammstein. The second way was into melodic death metal by way of Hypocrisy, after that fateful AIM convo with Cookiecutter in which he was talking about the song "Roswell 47". He got into Slayer at about the same time and dragged me down with him. But even without Nick I probably would have gotten into metal because The Kovenant led me to Arcturus and Borknagar.

I got into Mmtal through Metallica, and before that I listened to the 80s hard rock that was huge at the time. A lot of metalheads my age probably got into metal through Metallica. I well remember the time before Metallica released the black album, which I was eagerly awaiting only to be disappointed.

I went from nu-metal to the classic essentials such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, etc. I later got into death and black metal through Entombed and Emperor.

I got into metal by forcing myself to listen to it, seeing as I was becoming bored with bands like Led Zeppelin that had blown my mind a year before.

I started off listening to bands like Cannibal Corpse that were quite newcomer friendly and easy to digest. After getting used to that, I started listening to things like Darkthrone and the like, analyzing every bit of it, trying to understand why people enjoyed it.

After forcing myself through most of metal's sub genres, I began to appreciate the music for what it is, and began to comprehend the concept of the atmosphere and aesthetics behind genres such as black metal that make it so emotionally powerful.

I guess I never really had any specific "gateway bands", just many different bands that I randomly explored out of my curiosity in regards to the vast genre of metal.

Mmm even though I'm only 16 I'm more with the guys who are saying if you got into Nile through limp bizkit then your a bit of a nob. I love the 80s metal sound expecially Judas Priest but I'm loving SOME current stuff more and more. I think I always liked some of both really I just never liked nu metal at all even in primary school when EVERYONE had a nu metal phase. Even the really preppy girls. Goes to show how 'metal' it was then heh heh.

Nah I thought the latter half of the 90s (the bit I just about remember) were shite for metal that you can hear without going and digging it out.

So yeah luckily for me I've gone from proper old rock to old hard rock to metal old and new, mainly old but that's changing. What music your parent like affects it.

I spoke to someone a while back about metal and they were like, oh you like the old bands well I think their brilliant for what they did at the time but they've all been surpassed now. This is were I disagree with a heck of a lot of people. I don't think a lot of the improvements - see linking park etc.

I got into metal completely and totally ass backwards. In middle school my two best friends got me into nu metal (Hed P.E., Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Korn) and pop punk (MxPx, NoFX, Dead Kennedys, Anti-Flag). I eventually got tired of punk after my first year of high school, but I stuck with nu metal and expanded into more bands. The problem I always had was getting bored with albums very quickly and, while I generally liked a lot of it, I loved nothing. Throughout this time, however, I managed to pick Sepultura's Under A Pale Grey Sky and Megadeth's Capitol Punishment: The Megadeth Years, both of which I thought were really great.

Eventually, as my friends moved into the realms of rap, especially of the southern variety, I moved into this area. My interest in nu metal died at this time due to boredom. Then, about a year and a half ago, I decided I needed to find some new music so I registered with eMusic (having been offered 50 free downloads). I decided to see what they offered in the way of metal so I checked out their heavy metal "new releases" and "top sellers" charts. I was very surprised to find that I knew absolutely nothing of any of these bands. The first band I checked out happened to be The Berzerker, and playing the samples I was instantly hooked. I remember thinking to myself, "Jesus Christ, now this is what metal is supposed to sound like."

Like Nick and Zeph, I quickly found Hypocrisy's Virus and really, really loved it. Others among my first true metal albums were Kataklysm's In The Arms Of Devastation and Slayer's God Hates Us All. After spending a lot of money on eMusic downloads, and hoarding a ton of albums off of music blogs, I came here where I have been picking up great albums from you guys ever since. It's safe to say I am now addicted for life.

Addo_Of_Nex is a great example of how relentless downloading and Internet discovery of newer bands can enhance your drive and love for metal. I'm sure one day he'll begin a tangible collection rivaling most n00bs' here in terms of quality.