Albums you hate that most people like

On the Bathory thing, why should it matter whether rms likes them or not?! Why should that be such a bad thing? Saying you're not a true metal fan or whatever because you don't like a band every one else does is pretty damn stupid in my opinion; I hate that mentality of "If you don't listen to *insert band in here*, you're not metal". You should be able to listen to, like, or hate whatever band you want whilst maintaining whatever image or lifestyle you want if you're really and honestly into it.

/steps off of soapbox

I could care less whether he likes them or not, but he was suggesting that they suck as musicians, which is patently false. And to point out the vocals of all things as his main gripe against the band is a pretty good indicator that he hasn't listened to them very carefully.

Early Darkthrone like 'Under a Funeral Moon' and 'Transylvanian Hunger' don't appeal to me on any level, but still can't see what is so awesome about these two albums... don't hate them though, just doesn't click with me. Anything by 1349... I actually don't see anything special in this band either but to an extent that its annoying to hear how awesome they are. Dark Funeral too, now that band...

I could go on with more old school names, like Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, Priest and so on... I guess its just not my thing. I'm just picky as hell.

Early Darkthrone like 'Under a Funeral Moon' and 'Transylvanian Hunger' don't appeal to me on any level, but still can't see what is so awesome about these two albums... don't hate them though, just doesn't click with me.

Same goes for me, but with Blaze and Soulside Journey

Band: Vintersorg
Album: Cosmic Genesis

a lot of people say this is when vintersorg started getting shitty, but I really love this album. I love the change in concept, and there are some really powerful songs on this album.

Anyway, back on topic... I don't like Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian even though it's praised by a lot of people who like that band.

I don't dislike this, but it's definitely not my favorite of theirs by a long shot. It's got a handful of great tunes, but it lacks the overall energy of the three records that preceded it. Overall energy that still holds down that larger-than-life epic feel that continues to dominate their newer material.

I honestly can't comment on those albums, I've only heard their early cult albums. I should give later DT a spin sometime though...

:erk: Those are the first two albums. Maybe less downloading and more knowing about the music.

Oooh,dare i say this,Load by Metallica. I got it the same day they released it and i still like it. It´s a really good blues rock album,i really dig Mama Said too. It´s no favorite album of mine,that´s for sure,but it´s not even near deserving all the crap it gets either

Early Darkthrone like 'Under a Funeral Moon' and 'Transylvanian Hunger' don't appeal to me on any level, but still can't see what is so awesome about these two albums... don't hate them though, just doesn't click with me. Anything by 1349... I actually don't see anything special in this band either but to an extent that its annoying to hear how awesome they are. Dark Funeral too, now that band...

I could go on with more old school names, like Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, Priest and so on... I guess its just not my thing. I'm just picky as hell.

Just curious - what bands do you listen to?

I don't see anything appealing about Maiden either. Maybe 1 or 2 songs, but otherwise, I just don't get it. Priest is another one, but I like them a hell of a lot more than Maiden.
The 80's was just mostly bad in my opinion.
(Don't respond with a bunch of bands that were great in the 80's, I said mostly, not completely.)

I don't think that is a fair statement considering how far metal was advanced in the 80s and how many albums from the decade are revered as classics by people with reputable taste. Like you, most of the old school stuff does not fit my taste. However, I can usually tell if I dislike something because it is bad, or if I dislike it because it does not suit me, and in this case most of the classic 80s material false into the latter category.