Another Nebula experimentation

Pipotron3000

Aug 5, 2010
I was thinking about a new way to bring back some dynamic and liveness to impulses...so i tested something.

I used Nat Free to create a simple program of my Tonelab LE AC30TB amp only.
Because VALVETRONIX really rules at recreating the interaction between the integrated tube and the dummy speaker load.And this amp is more "neutral" than others.

This is the Nebula program (it works in Free and Pro version :D):
NebulaTLAC30TBVR9PR10.zip

Capture chain is just output->Tonelab->input :D

And this is a test (thanks to JeffTD for DI track cover) :
RoseOfSharynDI

I let the track alone just to get your feedback about dynamic, feel.

Test chain is 100% virtual :
TSE808->LE456->Nebula->LeCab2

Any feedback is welcome :wave:
PS : remember to put it between amp and impulse loader only and don't overload the Nebula input too much...but push it anyway :devil:

Could you elaborate a little on what your actually captured with nebula? Since you're using both an amp sim and a cab sim I'm a little lost on what you actually captured... power section?

Interaction between cab and power amp is the purpose.
But not with a real power amp and a loadbox, i don't got one ;)

I used the VALVETRONIX system on my Tonelab, witch is an hardware emulation of power amp and cab interaction (real tube and dummy speaker load).
No miking capture, this is not a cab sim (that's why i use an impulse after it).

You can read more on the TL LE manual :
ToneLab LE_Manual.pdf

There are downsides :
-I used the NAT free version, so this program is treated as PREamp.
-i can't disable the preamp section of the Tonelab, that's why i took the AC30TB.It is more freq neutral than others, and the distortion is done in the poweramp section.All the rest is disabled (cab,pedal,noise reduction,EQ....)
-i may have used a preamp instead of LE456 including a power amp sim, but i didn't wanted to use this nebula program as power amp only, just as "impulse exciter"

This attempt is another vision of what is making a real cab miking more alive.
I just wanted to try something new by just linking those aspects without the miking part ;)
So you can use your fav impulse after it :D

Give the mp3 a listen and give me your opinion about liveness,dynamic.
If you use the Nebula program, it will appear in the PRE category because i used a PRE program (no choice with NAT free).

I just want to know if i'm on a good way or not :wave:

PS : you can, of course, use a preamp only before the nebula plugin...you will get an AC30TB like power amp ;)

Thanks for the feedback Scottxx ;)
Do you think it is more realistic than impulse alone ?
I can't make an A/B because freq curves and dynamic is too different...

New test chain with the same Nebula program (i pushed input further :devil:)
TSE808->TSE X50 Power Amp DISABLED ->Nebula->LeCab2

Tonelab LE AC30 TB X50.mp3

No virtual power amp this time, just to let you ear what you can obtain with Nebula as power amp ;)
I didn't put any on/off comparison because hearing a pre amp alone would kill your ears :devil:

Impulse is Catharsis 1on-preshigh...my fav ever :worship:

EDIT : Finally, i'm not so satisfied and will not go any further.
Instead try TSX from AlexB, not related to amp or cab, but tape is always useful for guitar tracks ;)
tsx

That's the difference between me and a real Nebula master :D

It sounds really well to me. I can't tell you if it is better than IR only. I need to try. The last sound with X50 sounds even better!

Thanks again :D
May be we will see someone with a real power amp and a good loadbox like Weber MASS do a better job and capture with Nebula the subtle interaction between a tube amp and a "simulated by loadbox" cab, without miking.
There are a lot of things involved in this part, not only miking.

OwnHammer already made amazing cabs programs with neutral power amp, and separated power amp only programs too.

I gave the program a go. I found I got heaps of extra dynamics when I pushed it a bit harder, but this had a bit of a negative effect on the amp tone. When I wasn't hitting nebula so hard the amp tone stayed together more or less, and the added dynamics were definitely still there, just a little less than I would have liked.

Anyway that was just with a quick test, I'll go back and spend a little more time with it in the next couple of days and see how good I can get it sounding