Anybody else think that the word "nu-metal" lost its meaning by now?

I don't listen to the radio unless I'm in a cd player laden vehicle. Then I TRY to find a classic rock station but if it comes down to it I will listen to the rock stations. I have heard good songs on the radio but I don't usually remember who or what the song was. I liked that Eveansenncenea song for awhile but the clubs here played the fuck out of it and now it's just fucking annoying.

You're a good person. I can see that. You listen to what you like until you don't like it anymore. Fuck trends. Fuck labels. It's all just music.

I think that sums it up. Wish more people were like us...

any band that perpously makes music that sounds exactly everything else on the radio is nu-metal. i like a few songs on the radio but most of it is shit... and how the fuck is evanessance metal? no fuckin way...you guys dont know what your talkin about...

yes yes, fuck the trends and the genres, but you have to realize that genres are what helps us figure out what the fuck were trying to listen to, so if you say something like "symphonic black metal" expect it to have keyboards and melody ridden guitars. and in the case of "nu-metal" which seems more like a modern form of grunge with some hip hop, you get crappy instrument playing, whiny lyrics, and ppl trying to sound angry all the time

I know they;ve said this before, but everyone has their own idea of what nu-metal is. Please people. STOP USING IT!!!

I want to clarify a few things... Mudvayne SPECIFICALLY said in GuitarWorld magazine in an interview that THEY personally classify themselves as 'Math Metal', due to their 'unusual and rarely seen' time signatures and sporadic beats.

Another thing... If I hear 'Fuck trends... fuck conformity... fuck people who conform' one more time I WILL KILL WHOEVER SAID IT AND GOUGE OUT THEIR EYE WIT A SPOON AND CRAP IN IT!!! Conformity is natural in this world. You self-proclaimed 'nonconformists' are in a sense conforming, and you didn't even notice it. Conformity = 2 or more people doing similar things/dressing same way/etc.
Let me elaborate... I like Children of Bodom. Kickass!!! I'm being different!!!!
haha yeah right... you and their 14,000,000 fans wordwide.

'I like Britney Spears!!! I'm being different!!!'
haha yeah right... again, you and her 50,000,000 fans worldwide...

Unless you can honestly say that YOU do something or dress a certain way that NO OTHER PERSON in this fucking world does, THEN u can tell me you are not conforming. You wear black tshirts? CONFORMER. You like the heaviest of all metal like Nile, Marduk, Mayhem, etc? CONFORMER.

Everyone is, so STOP saying that.
You don't get the message that Metal and all the genres in it (crap or not) ARE a trend. If more than one person likes it, its a trend.

One last thing...
any band that perpously makes music that sounds exactly everything else on the radio is nu-metal.
HAHA why the fuck would bands do that? It all depends on the bands' skills with their instruments, their creativity levels, and their background in music (influences). They make music, put it on the radio... o great now it sounds like every other band on the radio!!! cuz its on the radio... u get my point yet? come one people THINK

anonymousnick2001 said:
Trapt has a huge single on the radio in the States called Headstrong...it's actually okay.

I think we've all proved that nu-metal as a genre doesn't exist. There's just a multitude of shitty bands that sound alike and a few good ones with a similar style, and they're just lumped together and hated by all.

Which is a shame, but i don't feel like a mainstream goth fucktard anymore, and that's always good. Usually anything that's nice and heavy with a beat or a groove pleases me greatly.

Nu-metal isn't a categorization completely revolving around the sound...
similar to the Pop/hair metal categorization of the late 80s... not all of the hair bands sounded alike(though the vast majority did haha)...
I would define Nu-metal as a lack of technical playing(not skill in every case), Detuned riffs, "angst" filled vocals, rhythm based music(based off the bass work or drumming, which is why some people think Mudvayne's bassist is talented), lack of creativity(godsmack and union underground among others have more than a striking resemblence to Alice In Chains) and well lyrics about everything to do with teenage rebellion or "problems"... but that really doesn't describe everything... everyone who said Mainstream is exactly right... I'd describe it as rock music that aims to achieve mainstream success(I.E money vs art)...

about it being elitists against a new generation's music... Death and black metal haven't been around all that much longer than Nu-metal... perhaps a decade at best so this arguement isn't really valid. Nu-metal isn't always a bad thing(though 99% of the time it is)...

Phrozenspite said:
everyone who said Mainstream is exactly right... I'd describe it as rock music that aims to achieve mainstream success(I.E money vs art)...

about it being elitists against a new generation's music... Death and black metal haven't been around all that much longer than Nu-metal... perhaps a decade at best so this arguement isn't really valid. Nu-metal isn't always a bad thing(though 99% of the time it is)...

you know.... you people are just about as interesting as watching my crap get sucked down the toilet. Nu-Metal isn't a genre, it's an intangible, everchanging, CONCEPT. Every new person that replies to this thread is just stating THEIR opinion of what exactly Nu-Metal is. STOP, we already get the point. If u wanna tell us what ur idea of nu-metal is, start a fucking thread about it already. Unless u have something intelligent to bring to the table here, go away

NocturnalSun said:
you know.... you people are just about as interesting as watching my crap get sucked down the toilet. Nu-Metal isn't a genre, it's an intangible, everchanging, CONCEPT. Every new person that replies to this thread is just stating THEIR opinion of what exactly Nu-Metal is. STOP, we already get the point. If u wanna tell us what ur idea of nu-metal is, start a fucking thread about it already. Unless u have something intelligent to bring to the table here, go away
would you mind stating what you've brought to this discussion that is intelligent? just because by the sounds you love Nu-metal and are against anyone badmouthing it doesn't invalidate someone elses opinion as being... dare I say it... CORRECT. I just skimmed over most of the responses on the table... did you ever stop to notice that the vast majority you recieved are definitions and categorizations that could co-exist?

NocturnalSun said:
I know they;ve said this before, but everyone has their own idea of what nu-metal is. Please people. STOP USING IT!!!

I want to clarify a few things... Mudvayne SPECIFICALLY said in GuitarWorld magazine in an interview that THEY personally classify themselves as 'Math Metal', due to their 'unusual and rarely seen' time signatures and sporadic beats.
Most bands have names for the genre of music they play... like Dissection referred to theirs as Unholy Metal of Death I believe... It doesn't mean that they aren't part of another genre...

NocturnalSun said:
Another thing... If I hear 'Fuck trends... fuck conformity... fuck people who conform' one more time I WILL KILL WHOEVER SAID IT AND GOUGE OUT THEIR EYE WIT A SPOON AND CRAP IN IT!!! Conformity is natural in this world. You self-proclaimed 'nonconformists' are in a sense conforming, and you didn't even notice it. Conformity = 2 or more people doing similar things/dressing same way/etc.
Let me elaborate... I like Children of Bodom. Kickass!!! I'm being different!!!!
haha yeah right... you and their 14,000,000 fans wordwide.

'I like Britney Spears!!! I'm being different!!!'
haha yeah right... again, you and her 50,000,000 fans worldwide...

Unless you can honestly say that YOU do something or dress a certain way that NO OTHER PERSON in this fucking world does, THEN u can tell me you are not conforming. You wear black tshirts? CONFORMER. You like the heaviest of all metal like Nile, Marduk, Mayhem, etc? CONFORMER.

Everyone is, so STOP saying that.
You don't get the message that Metal and all the genres in it (crap or not) ARE a trend. If more than one person likes it, its a trend.
Not true, trends are formed by people copying the likes or behaviors of others, while some people could be conforming to a trend still there are quite a few people who make decisions to wear certain things or listen to a band completely independant of the opinions and likes or dislikes of other people. And of course than there are people who don't even bother discussing trends or anti-trends...

NocturnalSun said:
One last thing...
HAHA why the fuck would bands do that? It all depends on the bands' skills with their instruments, their creativity levels, and their background in music (influences). They make music, put it on the radio... o great now it sounds like every other band on the radio!!! cuz its on the radio... u get my point yet? come one people THINK
It gets played because it sounds like everything else being played, record labels and radio stations don't like to take risks and will try to ride out whatever sells for as long as possible(even if it means killing a particular style)

I just don't get why people can't like nu-metal and death metal, that's all. I can see pros and cons in both genres that weigh out pretty evenly.

(Death metal can be replaced with any other genre, really, I was just using an example.)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know, I took a shit some hours ago and it was one of those horrible, dry, jagged craps where you know the last few wipes are going to consist of a little blood.
Anyway, the entire fecal session reminded me of that shower scene in American History X when Ed Norton's character gets fucked in the ass.I imagine the pain has a similar theme, but a sharper execution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...lmfao

anonymousnick2001 said:
I just don't get why people can't like nu-metal and death metal, that's all. I can see pros and cons in both genres that weigh out pretty evenly.

(Death metal can be replaced with any other genre, really, I was just using an example.)
they can... people can listen to whatever they want... whether they get flamed for it or not is the question heh... I guess some of us who are into the more extreme styles of music have a hard time seeing why others can't see the superiority(or lack of depending on your perspective) of faster, more technical, heavier stuff... Generally speaking though most people who listened to various Nu-metal bands because they thought ... lets say mudvayne or slipknot for example were the heaviest band... well than they hear hmmm Pig Destroyer or Nile for example and all of a sudden mudvayne and slipknot aren't quite as heavy...

hahahahaaaaa Phrozenspite what makes you think I like this thing you call Nu-Metal? I'm normally the one on the other side of the argument yelling at someone for saying Slipknot is the baddest band around. I am a very diverse person as far as my musical tastes go. BUT, my tastes do not prefer Slipknot, Mushroomhead, new Metallica, Stone Sour, Shadows Fall, Anthrax, and other bands like them. There ARE some bands I'll make an exception to like Cold, Evanescence (u gotta give the girl credit), Chimaira, Motograter, Mudvayne, Adema, A Perfect Circle, and a few more I can't remember right now.

I don't classify anything as 'nu-metal' for reasons I already stated. don't jump to conclusions or you may find yourself in quite a bad spot at some point & time... just a lil word of advice, assuming things is not good.

NocturnalSun said:
hahahahaaaaa Phrozenspite what makes you think I like this thing you call Nu-Metal?
well based on what you say later in your post you do like what i'd call Nu-metal...
NocturnalSun said:
I'm normally the one on the other side of the argument yelling at someone for saying Slipknot is the baddest band around. I am a very diverse person as far as my musical tastes go. BUT, my tastes do not prefer Slipknot, Mushroomhead, new Metallica, Stone Sour, Shadows Fall, Anthrax, and other bands like them. There ARE some bands I'll make an exception to like Cold, Evanescence (u gotta give the girl credit), Chimaira, Motograter, Mudvayne, Adema, A Perfect Circle, and a few more I can't remember right now.

I don't classify anything as 'nu-metal' for reasons I already stated. don't jump to conclusions or you may find yourself in quite a bad spot at some point & time... just a lil word of advice, assuming things is not good.
well my conclusion is right in this case... based on some of the bands you make an "exception" for...

bottom line is... Commercialized "metal" sucks in whatever form anyone wants to call it... end of topic.

Shadows Fall are soooo weak. It sounds like Saliva's singer screaming his head off which sux as is, but then they have the crappiest distortion ever. It sounds like they have amps from 80's without any heavy crunch to them and waaaay too much treble setting. The double bass on a few recordings sounds like cracked out popcorn popping really fast, it's those annoying little tiny pops.

Anyway... ok phrozenspite, so i like 'nu-metal' SUE ME for being an individual. I like what I like, I don't like something to fit in or anything. yeah I like those bands up there, but I also love Children of Bodom, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Nile, Immortal, Limbonic Arts, Dark Tranquillity... music knows no boundries, so open urself up to new music

I agree with the original poster; the problem with "nu-metal" is that the label is being placed on all music that a certain person dislikes. I`ve heard bands like Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir being called nu-metal, due to their popularity. Many bands branded nu-metal do have a unifying factor in that the guitar is often given a more supporting role and that the emphasis lies on the melody and vocalist. Flashes of technique are substituted for shorter songs, simple AB song structures and powerchord-based guitar work. If we could stick to this definition, it would be for the best.

Shadows Falls are awesome, they've got some of the baddest guitar solo's I've heard in a long time. I never said Evenascnenanse was metal, I said I didn't mind that song for awhile untill I heard it at every bar this place has. I enjoy bands that I've heard labeled as nu metal, aka SOAD, Nothingface, Chimaira and some others I can't think of at the moment. I like music for what it is, some bands need to change thier shit around and it might be enjoyable.

The two screamers I can't stand most of all in this 'nu-metal' description are Corey Taylor and whoever sings for Shadows Fall. It used to be Drowning Pool's singer also in there, but now he's gone.

Corey Taylor and Shadows Fall should just shut the hell up because their voices sound like someone would scream right before they get hit by a train. There's no real thought or talent to it. Anyone can scream like they do. Where the real wailing talent is at is Dani Filth (Cradle), Shagrath (Dimmu), and Anders Friden (In Flames). Their screams/growls aren't monotonous and annoying and unoriginal. If you've heard Anders with his sideproject, Passenger, then you know he doesn';t just scream. He has a pure, clean voice, also. And don't gimme that crap about "well Corey had Bother by Stone Sour!!! you dick don't criticize him!!!" that's one fucking song. What he usually does doesn't require any talent at all. Anyway I'm gonna say it again... everyone's view of 'nu-metal' is different, so yea that first post ever holds no conviction to it since it never was a category to begin with.