Anybody else think that the word "nu-metal" lost its meaning by now?

Meshuggah - Shitty death metal with irregular time signatures which don't stop it from sounding like shit. In fact, they add to it.
No? Meshuggah is VERY interesting tech-death with a wall-of-sound approach and drumming which isn`t perpetual blast beats. Their use of the guitar as a wholly percussive instrument is intriguing, and the implementation of simple polyrhythms is a huge step ahead from the atonal stop-start approach of most tech-death bands.
Cannibal Corpse - Shitty death metal.
Simple and trite, but I like it. They`re okay musicians.
Dimmu Borgir - A band that tries to create atmosphere using an orchestra, and fails miserably. If symphony is to be used in metal, it should be done properly.
Now you`re getting WAY out of hand. Dimmu has it`s shitty moments, which are the three first albums, but they have single-handedly defined a symphonic metal sound that breaks with the traditional powermetal approach to the genre. They`re not black metal, that`s for sure, but I don`t treat them as such either. Oh, and talking about implementing a symphony orchestra, try "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" from their newest album. Take a listen, and please do tell me where and when this has been done better.
Burzum is one guy and he created better ochestral music than Dimmu ever did.
I like Burzums black metal stuff, but "orchestral" it is not and will never be. Vargs synth compositions make me puke.

NocturnalSun said:
The two screamers I can't stand most of all in this 'nu-metal' description are Corey Taylor and whoever sings for Shadows Fall. It used to be Drowning Pool's singer also in there, but now he's gone.
Corey Taylor and Shadows Fall should just shut the hell up because their voices sound like someone would scream right before they get hit by a train. There's no real thought or talent to it. Anyone can scream like they do. Where the real wailing talent is at is Dani Filth (Cradle), Shagrath (Dimmu), and Anders Friden (In Flames). Their screams/growls aren't monotonous and annoying and unoriginal. If you've heard Anders with his sideproject, Passenger, then you know he doesn';t just scream. He has a pure, clean voice, also. And don't gimme that crap about "well Corey had Bother by Stone Sour!!! you dick don't criticize him!!!" that's one fucking song. What he usually does doesn't require any talent at all. Anyway I'm gonna say it again... everyone's view of 'nu-metal' is different, so yea that first post ever holds no conviction to it since it never was a category to begin with.

O_O oh. my. goodness. You know, reading through this thread, I can't really tell if you're actually stupid or just completely oblivious to everything outside your own opinion.

Dani Filth....oh yes, REAL talent. Is that why his vocals are cleaned-up with pro tools on the albums, and why he always uses a voicebox live to hit the highs and lows?? Oh but wait, even with a voicebox he still cracks and breaks and can't match anything near the sound on the album? REAL talent??? FFS, get your head out your ass.

What has Shagrath ever done that's amazing? His vocals don't reach amazing pitches, he doesn't give-off 30 second screams that boggle your own air-challenged lungs, he's just plain bog standard. And what's more, the last two albums have had his vocals completely covered in filters and effects, and he also uses a voicebox live. Ok, we're really getting close to the talent now!!

Anders Friden :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This almost isn't worth commenting on. If you weren't so pathetically insular in your musical knowledge, you may have realised that Friden is one of the most pathetic vocalists in melodeath. Weak, not much breath, a cracking voice without much effort......DIRE clean vocals that are barely more than talking.....jeebus. He sounds a bit better live, but his attempts at clean vocals are still laughable. Did you know that there really are other vocalists in metal than can actually sing?? OMG! revelation!

You keep preaching like a stuck-up pedestaled ass at other people to not use the term nu-metal because its only 'conceptual' and for us to broaden our tastes.......why don't you shut the fuck up man, you're the fool that needs educated.

Harp Heaven said:
No? Meshuggah is VERY interesting tech-death with a wall-of-sound approach and drumming which isn`t perpetual blast beats. Their use of the guitar as a wholly percussive instrument is intriguing, and the implementation of simple polyrhythms is a huge step ahead from the atonal stop-start approach of most tech-death bands.

Now you`re getting WAY out of hand. Dimmu has it`s shitty moments, which are the three first albums, but they have single-handedly defined a symphonic metal sound that breaks with the traditional powermetal approach to the genre. They`re not black metal, that`s for sure, but I don`t treat them as such either. Oh, and talking about implementing a symphony orchestra, try "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" from their newest album. Take a listen, and please do tell me where and when this has been done better.

I like Burzums black metal stuff, but "orchestral" it is not and will never be. Vargs synth compositions make me puke.

I find Meshuggah extremely boring.

I find Cannibal Corpse even more boring.

Dimmu have written some good stuff, I was slightly harsh. I just don't like the style too much, I prefer the symphony to be less potent.

Originally Posted by Harp Heaven

I find Meshuggah annoying.

I find CC horrendous, trite, and dangerous for disturbed or young children.

Dimmu Borgir's okay.

Anders Friden has one of the worst clean voices ever. EVER. His growl is alright, but he's never done anything technical with it.

Brian fair is actually worse than him...

Corey Taylor has a good voice. Monotonous, but good. If he learned to use it properly, instead of that animal screaming and raspy speaking voice, he could be great...

That's my $0.02.

meshuggah- well i definately wouldnt call them tech-death, they just play sporadically. i like them but they do tend to get boring sometimes

cannibal corpse-i never got into them, the first album was good but i dont know, ive heard a lot better than that

Dimmu Borgir-i believe ive stated my opinion on them

SculptedCold said:
O_O oh. my. goodness. You know, reading through this thread, I can't really tell if you're actually stupid or just completely oblivious to everything outside your own opinion.

Dani Filth....oh yes, REAL talent. Is that why his vocals are cleaned-up with pro tools on the albums, and why he always uses a voicebox live to hit the highs and lows?? Oh but wait, even with a voicebox he still cracks and breaks and can't match anything near the sound on the album? REAL talent??? FFS, get your head out your ass.

What has Shagrath ever done that's amazing? His vocals don't reach amazing pitches, he doesn't give-off 30 second screams that boggle your own air-challenged lungs, he's just plain bog standard. And what's more, the last two albums have had his vocals completely covered in filters and effects, and he also uses a voicebox live. Ok, we're really getting close to the talent now!!

Anders Friden :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This almost isn't worth commenting on. If you weren't so pathetically insular in your musical knowledge, you may have realised that Friden is one of the most pathetic vocalists in melodeath. Weak, not much breath, a cracking voice without much effort......DIRE clean vocals that are barely more than talking.....jeebus. He sounds a bit better live, but his attempts at clean vocals are still laughable. Did you know that there really are other vocalists in metal than can actually sing?? OMG! revelation!

You keep preaching like a stuck-up pedestaled ass at other people to not use the term nu-metal because its only 'conceptual' and for us to broaden our tastes.......why don't you shut the fuck up man, you're the fool that needs educated.

-sigh- let me start from the top...
Compared to the several million metal bands out there these days (just take a look at mp3.com and you'll see some you've never seen before), Dani Filth's voice (fake/generated or real) is instantly recognizable and I happen to like it.
2nd... Shagrath (or just metal singers in general) doesn't HAVE to make a new and unique sound or revolutionize the already present sound in order to be great. I see Dimmu Borgir as a whole band, I don't focus in on one member's talents and listen simply for that. Vortex's clean, backing, melodic harmony vocals add an extra edge to Dimmu's music. They weren't meant to be there on their own, they're there to add to the band. If you listen good, you can tell that from P.E.M. to the new D.C.A. album (when they picked up Nick as drummer) that Nick never uses the same monotonous drum patterns. He ALWAYS alternates. The keyboards have been a part of Dimmu since the beginning and they blend in perfectly. I can go on for hours about Dimmu Borgir, but to a closed mind set in its ways, the words go nowhere, so I won't even try.
3rd, if you don't think Anders has good clean vocals you clearly haven't listened to Passenger yet. He really showcases his vocals there in actual harmonies!!! I didn't think he was all that impressive until I heard his work with Passenger. Yea, people criticize Passenger alot bcuz most o the ppl criticizing are closed minded ppl who don't give a rat's ass about clean vocals and slower music that's borderline Staind-ish music.

I'm still gonna stay set in my ways like im sure u will. Dude I listen to Jazz, classical, clasic rock, classical guitarwork, a tiny bit punk, Staind-ish manic depressive rock, death metal, big band music, I have a bit of everything except pop and new wave in my collection, so that's why my tastes are different from yours. I'm simply sayin 2 y'all that u need to free ur mind and open up to different kinds of music cuz there's so much out there that it's a fuckin waste to stick to one category.

hey man, I don't give the slightest flying fuck what the hell you like, the important fact is that you havent the slightest clue about the music that I like, so do yourself a favour and shut-the fuck up with your retarded 'open your mind' preaching.

nope I'm not marc and if u botherd to check my profile, you'd see that my name is Frank.
sculptedcold said:
hey man, I don't give the slightest flying fuck what the hell you like, the important fact is that you havent the slightest clue about the music that I like, so do yourself a favour and shut-the fuck up with your retarded 'open your mind' preaching.

Now who's being self-centered...