Appreciating Death Metal

First pure death metal album...may have been Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines. Can't recall for sure.

I get what you're saying. I kinda feel the same with Black Metal. My advice would be to go listen to a bunch of the classic albums, and if none of it takes your fancy, leave it alone. You can't force yourself to like something. Maybe you'll like it in a couple of years. I'll list some benchmark albums that imo should get you into it if you're going to:

Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Deicide - self titled
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Death - Spiritual Healing
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Obituary - Cause Of Death
Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious

I would recommend The End Complete over Cause of Death

My first Death Metal album was Deicide's Serpents of the Light, i still consider this album one of the best DM albums.

I think Monstrosity - In Dark Purity is a good, mostly standard, death metal release. They have a variety of riff styles and interesting song arrangements, and great vocals. For early standard DM Brutality is a good band, and is similar to Obituary in that regard. When the Sky Turns Black and Screams of Anguish are both good. But as with Obituary, they could seem boring at first. But as the songs are revealed to you, they end up pretty killer.

Brutality is not very standard sounding to my ears. They were one of the first really technical DM bands who weren't named Suffocation, and even then they weren't "brutal" nor did they incorporate the grind influences Suffo had. Screams of Anguish is a classic of Floridian DM though.

Ugh. Ok their first three are all good, TIACN should listen to one of those.[/which Obituary album is best argument]