Appreciating Death Metal

I sort of see the appeal in Cause of Death, but honestly,I find the flat, "bang on wood" drums annoying; they don't seem to fit the music, imo. Then there's of course Tardy's forced vocals:erk:
Nice leads and all, but ultimately, meh.:p

I sort of see the appeal in Cause of Death, but honestly,I find the flat, "bang on wood" drums annoying; they don't seem to fit the music, imo. Then there's of course Tardy's forced vocals:erk:
Nice leads and all, but ultimately, meh.:p

Dude, just shut up. You think every single good album besides In Pains is overrated. Quit being such a douche. Also, what the fuck do you mean by "Tardy's forced vocals"? Dude, all your criticisms suck. Just fuck off.

Dude, don't take the internet so seriously. I'm just venting.It's not as if I spoil the album for those who do love it. At least I hope I don't.

Meh, but you're right; I'll stop with the negative bitching. It's pointless anyway.
I'm in a middle of a musical crisis, so to speak. Maybe I should just take a break from all this necrotic stuff.

You didn't spoil anything. I still love Cause of Death. I hate you because you don't agree with me. It's as simple as that.

edit: I don't actually hate you, but your opinions sure do confuse me.

Read the last edit if you didn't. Satanstoenail is right perhaps: taking a break from a certain type of music makes you appreciate it all the more once you get back to it eventually. Like it happened with me and Metallica.

I started listening to zeuhl and prog rock. It's great stuff.:)
Maybe I should delve deeper into thrash metal, beyond Slayer and Metallica.
That's something I should've done a long time ago.

I would recommend that you buy yourself a copy of Carcass - Necroticism Descanting the Insalubrious, then listen to it. In one whole session. With the lights off, and doing nothing else.

Then do it again.

And again.

And again.

At some point, you will reach a kind of blissed out realisation; not only is this the most perfectly composed death metal music of all time, rich in atmosphere and catchier than a velcro pair of trousers in a sheep pen, but it's also an incredibly rewarding listen too. There are some *very* heavy sections in there, but there's a rich vein of melodicism that will render those initially unlistenable sections inert to your young, inexperienced ears.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it could just be that it's really fucking great.

Some albums that may help you ease into dm, in my opinion:

Morbid Angel: Domination (muddy produtcion, but a GREAT album, not to mention MA throws in decent dynamics in their music for those who get tired of redundancy in their music)

Suffocation: Despise The Sun (fairly short so as to not "bore" ya)

Cannibal Corpse: The Bleeding (or...really....any CC album other than Kill)

Death: SYMBOLIC (not actual dm...more thrashy, but awesome nonetheless, personally my favorite)

Listen to Hammer Smashed Face-Cannibal Corpse and Homicidal Retribution-Dying Fetus then if you don't like it give up

Suffocation: Despise The Sun (fairly short so as to not "bore" ya)

Why this? Why not the extremely, vastly superior Human Waste? You could even ease him into the beginning of Suffocation rather than a boring afterthought EP at the edge of their decline (and eventual rebirth, but that is another story).

Why this? Why not the extremely, vastly superior Human Waste? You could even ease him into the beginning of Suffocation rather than a boring afterthought EP at the edge of their decline (and eventual rebirth, but that is another story).

Because I'm of the opinion that "Human Waste" has shit production. Last time I spoke with Frank (a couple of years back) they said they were going to release a cleaned up version of the disc, but I haven't even paid enough attention to see if they ever did. I thought the ep had a good flow, clear sound, and everything in the mix was heavy as hell.

But really the only reason anyone needs is "Funeral Inception".

I really like the production, and consider that EP to be some of Suffo's best work. I know what you mean, some people also dislike it, but more people tend to dislike the more muted, compressed sound of the follow up, their debut.

Although you may hate it at first, just start with The Red in the Sky is Ours. It is probably the most complex death metal album ever and thus is not easily accessible. However, if you can bring yourself to appreciate it eventually, then you should have no trouble with the likes of Morbid Angel, Demigod et al.

:lol: That is probably the LAST album you want to start with.

Edit: However, do not hesitate to check it out in the near future since it is bloody excellent.

Or start with Mithras. They're better than receiving gold bullion inscribed with the secret to eternal life from God himself.

Or so I read.

Death's Scream Bloody Gore got me into metal. the song Zombie Ritual in specific got me hooked and more open to trying out death metal.

Or start with Mithras. They're better than receiving gold bullion inscribed with the secret to eternal life from God himself.

Or so I read.

I'm guessing you read that in Zero Tolerance as they fellate Mithras continously in that mag. They are a good band just not as revolutionary as they would have you think.