Are American metal bands really inferior?

Erik said:
nah, i don't agree. probably because i include SUB-GENRES OF DOOM METAL like death-doom & funeral doom into the equation. :cool: still, even in only trad/epic doom, europe has lots of fucking great bands:

pagan altar
candlemass
mirror of deception
spiritus mortis
isole
lamented souls
cathedral
thunderstorm
thee plague of gentlemen

ETC ETC

yeah you get the point

again: certainly not enough not to make me go "well usa is better" even if they have plenty of amazing bands too
Wow you even mentioned bands with only 1 album...sorry but they dont count. I am talking about BIG and CLASSIC doom metal bands, and Europe had only 3 (Candlemass, Cathedral and Count Raven) while U.S.A. had so MANY (Pentagram, Trouble, St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Solitude Aeturnus, While Heaven Wept..and so many others) If we are to talk about "any random doom band with even 1 album" usa again is the winner.

cookiecutter said:
The only European thrash I can think of is Kreator. Are they really better than Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus etc.?
I'm really not too big on Testament, and especially Megadeth. There are more European thrash bands than American thrash bands. There are more thrash bands from Germany alone than American thrash bands.

Germany:

Sodom
Destruction
Kreator
Protector
Deathrow
Accuser
Living Death
Necronomicon
Poison
Thargos
Buried God
Despair
Final Breath
Vendetta
Exumer
Impending Doom
and many more

and from elsewhere in Europe:

Xentrix
Sabbat
Schizo
Necrodeath
Drunkard
Kat
Shah
Final Thrash
Thy Gate Beyond
Pestilence
Massacra
Merciless
Bathory
Aura Noir
Alastor
and more

IOfTheStorm said:
Wow you even mentioned bands with only 1 album...sorry but they dont count. I am talking about BIG and CLASSIC doom metal bands, and Europe had only 3 (Candlemass, Cathedral and Count Raven) while U.S.A. had so MANY (Pentagram, Trouble, St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Solitude Aeturnus, While Heaven Wept..and so many others) If we are to talk about "any random doom band with even 1 album" usa again is the winner.
while heaven wept also only has one album, as if that even matters :rolleyes:

anyhoo i was just naming random bands off the top of my head

also include doom/death into the equation and europe suddenly starts winning by fucken miles but yeah you're right, probably for really legendary and influential trad doom bands america wins.. largely thanks to st. vitus and co

I would have to agree, bands from Europe are much better musically. It seems that people actually care about good song composition, lyrics, etc. American bands tend to play stuff that's way easier. Also, bands out here care too much about their image. They look to start the next "trend." European bands look to write the best music instead, and let that speak for themselves.

I was just watching a Dissection/ Dimmu Borgir video, and in the interview the lead singer of Dissection said something that stuck with me... (paraphrased)

"People discovered my band, uhhhh, I don't care. We play the music of death, and let it speak for itself. We don't need corpse paint or any of that shit..."

IOfTheStorm said:
@Erik:
Doom: If Europe had 3 GRAND doom metal bands, usa had 10. And other things.

Extreme Doom Metal was invented in Europe (death doom and funeral doom).

But yeah, there's a few good American bands that are just as good if not better than most European bands (Agalloch Novembers Doom yada yada) but the majority of American music doesn't appeal to me, especially because I don't like thrash or heavy or power or American-style death metal at all.

Metal Moose said:
"People discovered my band, uhhhh, I don't care. We play the music of death, and let it speak for itself. We don't need corpse paint or any of that shit..."
yeah that was fucken profound huh

p.s. dissection 1990:

corpsepaint_1990.jpg

Erik said:
metal-archs advanced search

music genre: thrash

1492 results

616 results
Oops my bad. It just seemed the other way around, because there seem to be more *somewhat* well known bands from Germany, while USA primarily has the "big six."

madu said:
Extreme Doom Metal was invented in Europe (death doom and funeral doom).
yeah but you're talking to someone who barely even considers skepticism music :rolleyes:

(yeah he's an absolute idiot, but please excuse him, he's greek)

While Heaven Wept have 2 albums and several other releases. Also they are a historical and influential band.
And for every european doom/death band, there are 2-3 killer trad./epic doom bands from america. Point is, doom metal has more GREAT bands in u.s.a. than in Europe. As it happens with every metal subgenre (except black, but "who cares").

Life Sucks said:
Oops my bad. It just seemed the other way around, because there seem to be more *somewhat* well known bands from Germany, while USA primarily has the "big six."
dude just off the top of my head, really well known thrash bands from usa:

exodus
slayer
dark angel
death angel
vio-lence
testament
metallica
heathen
sadus
lååz rockit
forbidden
anthrax
overkill
nuclear assault

what bands does germany have that are about as well known?

kreator
sodom
destruction

holy moses and protector start being a bit of a stretch -- neither of these are really as well known to your average metalhead as any of the american bands i named

EDITED for idiocy

suddenly the insight hits me like a brick in the head thrown with great velocity:

what an incredibly fucking retarded thing this is to discuss!

Erik said:
nah, i don't agree. probably because i include SUB-GENRES OF DOOM METAL like death-doom & funeral doom into the equation. :cool: still, even in only trad/epic doom, europe has lots of fucking great bands:

pagan altar
candlemass
mirror of deception
spiritus mortis
isole
lamented souls
cathedral
thunderstorm
thee plague of gentlemen

ETC ETC

yeah you get the point

again: certainly not enough not to make me go "well usa is better" even if they have plenty of amazing bands too

What I would have said too. Probably would have added the hey-day of the big British trio Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride too.

By the way, heard some unmastered stuff for the new Plague of Gentlemen 7" splits the other day - some killer stuff coming our way.

Carcassian said:
Probably would have added the hey-day of the big British trio Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride too.
i specifically specified "trad/epic doom" though

as for death/doom and funeral doom europe is UNPARALLELED:

anathema
my dying bride
paradise lost
funeral
worship
skepticism
thergothon
unburied
unholy
katatonia
esoteric

what did america ever have to offer in the field? WINTER? diSEMBOWELMENT? that's pretty much it! (EDIT: lol and evoken whom i placed in the europe list for reasons unknown)