Are American metal bands really inferior?

IOfTheStorm said:
Paradise Lost were doom in only 1 album, Anathema in 2. Many doomsters would say that they were not even doom in these albums.
well those people would be fucken wrong. serenades and most everything before that is total deathdoom. if by the other album you mean silent enigma, i'm not convinced myself that it is a doom album. sure has a lot of doom influence though.

And Katatonia is a huge DOOM band indeed. Lolerz.
i knew some smartcock would comment on that
"dance of december souls" is great enough for melodic death-doom that they deserve to make the list

i don't understand your apparent infatuation with measuring band quality by the number of albums they've released :confused:

Erik said:
well those people would be fucken wrong. serenades and most everything before that is total deathdoom.
"Those people" (who possibly don't think any of your last list's bands is doom) know more about/care about/listen to more doom than you. The same way you probably think Disturbed and SOAD are not metal, many think that there is no doom besides traditional/epic.

IOfTheStorm said:
"Those people" (who possibly don't think any of your last list's bands is doom) know more about/care about/listen to more doom than you.
yeah? i know? i still think they're being idiots? there are few things more annoying than the "TRUE DOOM ONLY" morons... and you think black metal kiddies are ridiculous? take a good fucken look at these people... :rolleyes:

i mean i can't read doom metal forums and such because there's always some fucking IDIOT coming up with idiotic topics like "WHICH IS MORE DOOM BAND X OR BAND Y"... god. christ. just FUCK OFF.

reverend bizarre got it fucking right with their "a doom metal manifesto" leaflet. how did i ever manage to forget rev biz in my list of great euro trad doom bands anyway?!

It's not about who is more doom than the other, it's just that when you're talking about DOOM, traditional doom is absolutely ABOVE any other possible doom subgenres. Objectively. So (to stay on topic) it counts a lot more than the others when it comes to doom metal scenes of countries.

IOfTheStorm said:
It's not about who is more doom than the other, it's just that when you're talking about DOOM, traditional doom is absolutely ABOVE any other possible doom subgenres. Objectively. So (to stay on topic) it counts a lot more than the others when it comes to doom metal scenes of countries.
blah blah. blah blah. that's not what we were discussing at all! so basically... blah blah. i'm out!

Erik said:
i don't understand your apparent infatuation with measuring band quality by the number of albums they've released :confused:
I measure influential and historical value. Also yes bands like Penance (who have so many albums) are more important than Isole who just released their debut last year.

IOfTheStorm said:
"Those people" (who possibly don't think any of your last list's bands is doom) know more about/care about/listen to more doom than you. The same way you probably think Disturbed and SOAD are not metal, many think that there is no doom besides traditional/epic.

You're becoming a joke pretty quick.

Erik said:
i specifically specified "trad/epic doom" though

as for death/doom and funeral doom europe is UNPARALLELED:

anathema
my dying bride
paradise lost
funeral
worship
skepticism
thergothon
unburied
unholy
katatonia
esoteric

what did america ever have to offer in the field? WINTER? diSEMBOWELMENT? that's pretty much it! (EDIT: lol and evoken whom i placed in the europe list for reasons unknown)

diSEMBOWELMENT is from Australia.

And before you mentionned the thrash band Razor being from Europe? The Razor I know are from Canada...is there another important one from europe?

IOfTheStorm said:
It's not about who is more doom than the other, it's just that when you're talking about DOOM, traditional doom is absolutely ABOVE any other possible doom subgenres. Objectively.

Despite the musical tastes we share, you really ARE a moron, and shit like this exemplifies the exact reasons for that.

WNxScythe said:
What's with forgetting the Canadian DM scene? Beats both Europe and USA by far IMO.

haha are you kidding.

Gorguts and old crytopsy is the only good death metal i've heard from canada.

I'm sick of seeing USBM shit on at all possible opportunities. That's such a fashionable thing to do right now. Do I like more European BM? Yes, but that's likely because they simply have more. But shouldn't this be about quality and not quantity?

USBM can't do anything right in most eyes. They get shit when they deviate from the European sound or if they don't. I doubt this will ever change as we didn't get on at ground level. Most BM fans have such a shitty mindset these days.

madu said:
Quo Vadis zomg.

Is quo vadis zomg one of those technical cynic style bands that are really 5% death metal. I think I heard them before not caring for it.

I'm talking more about regular traditional solid death metal(not jazzy prog stuff).

Name some other 'canadian' death where the entire scene would ammount even close to european or older american death metal. I'm curious what is so great about the canadian death metal scene.

Erik said:
dude just off the top of my head, really well known thrash bands from usa:

exodus
slayer
dark angel
death angel
vio-lence
testament
metallica
heathen
sadus
lååz rockit
forbidden
anthrax
overkill
nuclear assault

what bands does germany have that are about as well known?

kreator
sodom
destruction

holy moses and protector start being a bit of a stretch -- neither of these are really as well known to your average metalhead as any of the american bands i named

EDITED for idiocy
Eh, you win. I guess all Bay Area bands are more well known than almost any European thrash band, at least here in the USA. I wouldn't know if Europeans generally prefer European bands, but for some reason I thought they do, and I also always thought that most of the metal-listening population resides outside of the USA.