American Metal

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
I know that Europe is kicking America's ass right now in metal but I know that that there are some people in American trying to keep metal the way it is supposed to be played. What are some good new metal bands in America today. I don't mean Nu Metal.

I personally feel like the US doesn't need to follow the traditional European style. Some great bands coming from the US are:

Converge
Old Man Gloom
Isis
Watchmaker
Mastodon
Knut
Dillinger Escape Plan
Drowning Man
Burnt By the Sun

All these bands are doing something a little different than say, Opeth or In Flames.

New? None that I know of. Ultraspank was the last decent American metal band to start. I would hope nobody considers them nu-metal, they really weren't. Wait, Superjoint Ritual is cool, Phil Enselmo's new band. I like Medication too, but they are sort of nu-ish, and they aren't the greatest band anyhow. :)

Anyone hear of Somnus, Estuary of Calamity, or Thorns of the Carion? Very good metal from Ohio. Somnus is a melodic black metal band (not many blast beats) with prog elements. Estuary is a very technical death metal band and Thorns is a very heavy doom metal band.

Check 'em out!

Good American Bands:

STEEL PROPHET
MANILLA ROAD
SOMNUS
JAG PANZER
SKULLVIEW
OCTOBER 31
DECEASED
SPIRIT WEB
SERBERUS
ABSU
OVERLORDE
EXHIBITION
AURORA BOREALIS
INTRUDER
CAULDRON BORN
SOULLESS
GRAND BELIAL´S KEY

to name a few... :D

Dream...Theater... o_O :) (old, but good...)

I must say, Killswitch Engage claim to be the "death of numetal" and they certainly play some weird melodic death inspired metalcore... minus the solos... but I like it... fairly good for a modern American band...

Also Hatebreed... compared to Slipknot too much, but one is numetal and one is not...

Slipknot=Shit...

:eek: *runs from riot of 13 year olds*

And there is heaps of others, just can't be bothered thinking at this early time or the morning...

And yes, it will be released soon...as per Chuck's wishes to his mother and sister, that Tim Aymar, Steve DiGiorgio, Shannon Hamm and Richard Christy finish the album up and release it postmortem for him, because it was nearly finished when he died and from my understanding he'd already laid down his solos

I don't think I've heard any of the bands you mention except Dream Theater, but maybe that's because the metal I listen to is mainly black metal. Another non-new metal band I like is Type O Negative! This is probably not "metal like it should be played", but they're still my favorite band! I can't think of that many American metal bands I listen to besides Type O, Dream Theater (I only have one record by them), Pantera & Guns N' Roses and none of them are "new".

you guys should all get out more, there are tons of great American bands.

Nevermore, Iced Earth, Antithesis, Zero Hour, Dream Theater, Prototype, Power of Omens, Spastic Ink, Dysrhythmia, Testament, Rain Fell Within, Symphony X, Mastodon, Neurosis, Gracepoint, Braindance, etc, etc.

Really, I get tired of this "Europeans play metal better" crap, 'cause there are tons of great US metal bands. It may be less popular here, but we haven't slacked off in the talent area.

The reason most of us didn't mention a lot of the great American bands is because the original question in this thread asked for "NEW AMERICAN METAL BANDS".

However, Jimbohickville is absolutely right. America is it's own entity. The US doesn't need to follow the footsteps of Europe. We can forge our own styles of metal. Noisecore for example.

Don't think these fellas have been mentioned yet, and they should be:

Shadows Fall
Nile
Kamelot
Morbid Angel
Imagika
...and more

Agreed @ jimbobhickville, there's a TON of superb metal in the States these days...