are any guys of opeth satanists?

Goober said:
2. In one of bloodbaths lyrics, it states something like "Look to the sky and you will see there is no God".....which actually kinda shows hes not a satanist lol. When you think about it, satanists believe there is a god, but hate him, and it seems within those lyrics, he doesnt believe in a god, therefor, cannot be a satanist. Hmm, cool i guess.

mike didn't write any bloodbath lyrics, except one line in one song...

^evolution isnt a theory; its fact. theism is the belief in a god, atheism is the unbelief in a god. agnosticism means "not knowing" (gnost means "to know"). the appropriate thing for anyone to call themselves would be agnostic. to claim one is a theist or an athiest is to say, "i know/dont know there is a god". yet, it's not possible to "know" that something like god exists. his presence is not testable and verifiable. he's not open to peer-review. nothing against christians or jews or what-have-you, it's just not possible to *know* the supernatural exists.

oh yeah, the topic. no intelligent adult (the guys in opeth) worships satan. in fact, id like to see how it's possible to worship something with virtually no historical background. "The adversary" is mentioned a few times in the Bible and that's it. "Satan worshippers" are pulling stuff out of their asses. It's total nonsense. These men are nothing to worry about, Donnie.

dorian gray said:
^evolution isnt a theory; its fact. theism is the belief in a god, atheism is the unbelief in a god. agnosticism means "not knowing" (gnost means "to know"). the appropriate thing for anyone to call themselves would be agnostic. to claim one is a theist or an athiest is to say, "i know/dont know there is a god". yet, it's not possible to "know" that something like god exists. his presence is not testable and verifiable. he's not open to peer-review. nothing against christians or jews or what-have-you, it's just not possible to *know* the supernatural exists.

evolution is fact only so much as its proven that we and other species are now evolving.

it is not fact that we all came from fish. that is theory, and an extremely shaky one.

yes, it is possible to believe there is a God. yes, it is NOT testable and NOT verifiable by typical means.

yes it is possible to believe the supernatural exists.

trying to explain it with intellectual means is like trying to shove a square into a circular hole.

Silent Song said:
evolution is fact only so much as its proven that we and other species are now evolving.

it is not fact that we all came from fish. that is theory, and an extremely shaky one.

yes, it is possible to believe there is a God. yes, it is NOT testable and NOT verifiable by typical means.

yes it is possible to believe the supernatural exists.

trying to explain it with intellectual means is like trying to shove a square into a circular hole.
argh! who said anything about fish? who said it wasnt possible to believe in god? youre twisting my discussion. all i said was, you cant *know* that god exists (or doesnt exist). that would mean you have to prove it. and you cant. theres nothing wrong with that. except when large groups of people try to influence another large group of people to do what they want. a la missionaries and televangelists and other large media outlets. then it becomes irritating and thats when we have to say, "well, demonstrate the veracity of the gospels's claims". and then the argument falls apart because the evidence is incredibly scant that jesus existed at all. no offense. im a former christian myself. that's just the historical reality.

dorian gray said:

Agnosticism is defined as the unwillingness to either affirm or deny the existence or knowability of a god. If you enjoy waffling back and forth, or are afraid of having a concrete opinion, then yes, I suppose agnosticism is the "appropriate" description for you. Personally, I've never seen the logic in choosing to not make a choice.

I can't tell you that I KNOW for a fact there is no God. I don't know for a fact that the sun is going to rise tomorrow, either, but everything I do know supports that conclusion--just as everything I know about religion and evolution supports my personal conclusion that there is no God. And I am willing to deny his/her/its existence. Therefore my philosophy is in fact "the unbelief in a god" and according to you, that qualifies as atheism. So why would I want to call myself an agnostic? :err:

i can't "prove" anything and neither can you :tickled:

opinions are like assholes...

and so are those televangelist and people who try to run around converting the world when they don't want it. i dislike them too.

oh man Trey you're so right. i was so wrong all this time. thanks for enlightening me....... :err:

you guys should take this to the Philosophy forum. i have a lot of fun with this topic

This argument always results in a stalemate because you're pitting logic against faith, which by its very definition cannot be argued logically.

but its fun.