Are there any albums you consider "perfect?"

High On Maiden said:
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son comes inches close for me.

Absolutely

Also:

Ocean Machine - Biomech
Opeth - Mornigrise (although ever other album is far from perfect)
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual

These are the albums that usually feature in my answer to the desert island question. You know, if you were stranded on a desert island (with a powerpoint and CD player apparently), which five albums ...

Let's drop this whole 'perfect' and 'free of faults' thing. If you like it enough to give it a 100/100, then its perfect in your opinion. Seriously its just music. Who actually listens to albums in attempt to point out 'faults?' - a few people here, perhaps. Then again, maybe the artist doesn't want his album to be 'perfect' and puts more emphasis on creativity than of anything else. Point being, who gives a shit, nothing is perfect.

We're just saying that this thread is fucking stupid, because perfection in nearly anything is unreachable.

When I first heard 'Reign in Blood', I honestly believed that Slayer sold their souls to Satan to make the perfect metal album.

There are a couple more that come to mind though they would be considered sub-categories: 'Legacy of Brutality' or 'Plastic Surgery Disasters' for punk, 'Psalm 69' for industrial metal, etc. etc.

...actually, I'd be hard-pressed to a decision between 'Psalm 69' and 'The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste'...

Dodens Grav said:
We're just saying that this thread is fucking stupid, because perfection in nearly anything is unreachable.
Not true, Jyoto (sp) drew a perfect circle...

Actually, since the author of the thread put quotation marks around the word 'perfect', that denotes interpretation, intended meaning or irony.

Perhaps we should just say 'albums that are near enough to perfect'. ie. albums where every track is great. That certainly narrows it down because even most very, very good albums have at least one let down.

The most perfect albums:
Paradise Lost-Gothic
The Gathering-Always
Katatonia-Brave Murder Day
My Dying Bride-Turn Loose The Swans

In Flames - Subterranean
Any Gojira album
Hypocrisy - Abducted
Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike
Sorhin - Apokalypsens Ängel
Abigor - Nachthymnen

May not be "perfect" but those are albums where I enjoy every single song, which is hard to find nowadays.

Fredy_Brown said:
The point is: write your favourite albums.

Not necessarily. Some perfect albums IMO:
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
None of those are even in my top 5 favorite albums. It may not make any sense, but bear with me here - a perfect album has these qualities:
1. Killer production
2. Seamless flow from track to track
3. Outstanding musicianship
4. Great lyrics
5. Great songwriting
One's all time favorite albums need have only 1 quality: the songs that you love, for tangible or intangible reasons, more than any others.

I think only one exists...

In the woods - omnio. For me it's the only album where every note is where it is supposed to be, and no parts are there which shouldn't be.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Not necessarily. Some perfect albums IMO:
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
None of those are even in my top 5 favorite albums. It may not make any sense, but bear with me here - a perfect album has these qualities:
1. Killer production
2. Seamless flow from track to track
3. Outstanding musicianship
4. Great lyrics
5. Great songwriting
One's all time favorite albums need have only 1 quality: the songs that you love, for tangible or intangible reasons, more than any others.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree with the whole logic of a 'perfect' album via a criteria such as that - I can think of many albums that match that particular criteria but I would never regard them as 'perfect'.

Probably the two closest to perfect albums I can think of right now are
Necrophagia-season of the dead
VOIVOD-killing technology

Rather than calling them perfect, my favorite, most well-crafted albums are:

Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
Dies Irae - Sculpture Of Stone
Origin - Echoes Of Decimation
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Spawn Of Possession - Cabinet
Windir - 1184

...as far as metal goes at least.