Are you christian and like Black Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Christian and I like black metal. I can get irritated sometimes with how a lot of them would like to see me dead for being a follower of Christ, but it doesn't bother me. I just wish some black metal bands would get new lyrical ideas other than "Fuck God, fuck Christ, and fuck all his followers," because it gets boring fast. My favorite black metal band is probably Dissection.

i am a christian. i don't actually like death metal, i prefer power, progressive, or old metal... i don't think the music you like makes a difference. I think you can like what ever music you want to, and be a christian also. It doesn't make me "evil" to like music that is secular, i enjoy it and its fun:) if Jesus is in your heart, that is all that matters. only you know where your heart is, and if you truley love and accept Jesus. Music you like doesn't matter.

perfecterror said:
i am a christian. i don't actually like death metal, i prefer power, progressive, or old metal... i don't think the music you like makes a difference. I think you can like what ever music you want to, and be a christian also. It doesn't make me "evil" to like music that is secular, i enjoy it and its fun:) if Jesus is in your heart, that is all that matters. only you know where your heart is, and if you truley love and accept Jesus. Music you like doesn't matter.

I agree with this. And if there's ever a song that has lyrics that I really detest, I just won't listen to that song. :)

im seeing a lot more people chime in on being christian than did the last time a disscussion like this passed through, last time i wasl ike only one of two that were christian and in the discussion, strange enough.

I am a Christian and I listen to some black metal. I think it is important for me to be very discerning about what I listen to, even if it is Christian music. Not all ideas presented in Christian music CD's are true to the Bible, neither are all sermons. I do not think it is wrong to listen to secular music, obviously the music itself is not evil, albiet some of the ideas in the lyrics are. There are some very good Christian black metal bands, for instance Crimson Moonlight and Lengsel. As for some of the ideas presented in secular black metal, I just don't understand...What is the meaning of life apart from God? The proverbial glass becomes half empty but even the water in that doesn't mean anything. Without God, life just makes no sense to me.

NocturnalSun said:
I am Christian/Catholic and I listen to Black Metal. Doesn't affect me even the slightest bit. Hell I can listen to a song saying God is not real 10x over and it still won't affect me. It's not considered 'wrong' to listen to as long as the person listening doesn't share the ideas of the lyricist. When someone believes in atheism, satanism, etc. because he heard it in the music and decided it was worth believing, THEN and only then is it wrong. The music in and of itself is not against teaching.
Exactly, you're just listening to someone's opinion

JColtrane said:
As for some of the ideas presented in secular black metal, I just don't understand...What is the meaning of life apart from God? The proverbial glass becomes half empty but even the water in that doesn't mean anything. Without God, life just makes no sense to me.

o_O

Your all fucking morons, you have no idea what the fuck your on about. black metal is about satanism and destruction. christians are stupid. christians listening to black metal is one of the biggest jokes in 'metal' history. fuck all your shit.

JACKO said:
Your all fucking morons, you have no idea what the fuck your on about. black metal is about satanism and destruction. christians are stupid. christians listening to black metal is one of the biggest jokes in 'metal' history. fuck all your shit.
You are a bit confused. Black metal is not all about satanism and destruction (though many bands unoriginally conform to this ideal). Black metal is more about nihilism (but by no means limited to). Satanism is just an overused vessel which artists have milked dry.

Charubic Murder said:
Christian's listening to black metal is idealogically contradicting. It's akin to a man joining in a feminist revolution.
not really ..

listening to music and being proactive in a rights movement are totally different things. plus, some men do support feminist movements.

as i said, i avoid black metal, partially on lyrical content, but mainly due to its sound. but listening to black metal for christians is more like watching a horror movie than it is a homphobe joining a gay rights parade.

JACKO said:
I will tell you a secret: Satan does not exist. Only stupid fucks like you fall for the "message" some black metal musicians have in their lyrics. Retarded bands like Marduk are having a good laugh at people like you when they come home to their wives and take off the pentagrams and warpaint and count the number of CD's sold. Begin thinking, moron.

Black metal is chiefly about destroying current western values and religions, so I can see why a christian would wish to steer clear of it of their own accord.

this is dumb. naggamanteh, how many bm bands do you think believe in satan as a half-goat half-man sitting on his throne and ruling over demons? though satanism is very trendy today and tomorrow, most mainstream bm bands are laveyan satanists or similiar "self-worshippers".

sure there are traditional satanists among bm underground (not in the pop music majority with your marduk), but this is getting ridiculous; i wonder when christianity will dominate metal music. again we just see the church sticking it's so-holy fingers in everything.

thanks

Hmmm, Another thread abt Religion and God, As far as this thread goes. I am not a Christian, As most of the ppl said Music should not have boundaries, it all depends on their choices and ideals , they can still stick to it even tho listening to things which are anti to their ideaologies,but some how dont u guys feel its kinda Hypocritical to listen to Black Metal with Anti christ or satanist lyrics and following christianity at the same time. but as far as i am concerned every one have the freedom to do whatever they want. o_O

I was merely saying in 99% of cases all the satanist BS in metal is done for publicity and commercial reasons. I stand by that statement.

I am Christian, but I do not listen to much satanic or anti-christ black metal. It's no problem of it "converting" me or anything, just that I won't support intolerant posers who pretend to worship satan or burn churches.

And yes, a lot of Christian "black" metal does suck, but not all of it. Hellhammer is playing on the new Antestor CD, so apparently he doesn't think so either. Dimmu Borgir's ex-keyboardist produced Crimson Moonlight's album too. To say a band sucks because of lyrical content is biased, shallow crap. I don't listen to Burzum or Rotting Christ, but I won't say they suck just because they disagree with my beliefs.

JACKO said:
black metal is about satanism and destruction
Actually its much closer to Atheism that Satanism. Black Metal ideology denounces all religion, and Satanism is a religion. :)

Charubic Murder said:
Christian's listening to black metal is idealogically contradicting. It's akin to a man joining in a feminist revolution.
Not necessarily. If a Christian were to listen to black metal for the lyrics, THEN it would be idealogically contradicting. However, if they were to listen to black metal, simply because they liked the style of music, that should be perfectly acceptable. It all comes down to the listeners perspective of music and why they are listening to it. Are they listening to BM for the lyrics, or simply because they like the music? 99% of black metal lyrics suck scrotum anyway, being as most black metal bands feel a need to conform to the same "death, destruction, satanism" crap, despite the fact that that defies the original Black Metal ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.