"Are You Dead Yet" is tr00!

How to make people who don't like the album happy:
Take 1 copy of the album and 1 copy of older releases.
Switch the CD's around in reverse order. Now you can tell everyone how Something Wild sucks and you are glad they have improved and are much better now. You can even print up your own labels to stick on the CD's to make it feel authentic if you really want to. Now everyone is happy.

I still think its their worst but doesnt deserve the slating its recieved. I mean some people say they've totally abandoned their style which I think is fucking bullshit. The bottom line is I prefer the more intricate stylings of SW and HB but at the end of the day heavy riffs catchy choruses and insane drumming with absolute fuckin immense keyboard melodies is what children of bodom still have going for them and that in my book, still makes great heavy metal.

Chaosia said:
Back to writing music like he used to do? *incredulous* You want them to turn BON JOVI! =D
Kidding, I love Bon Jovi...
And enlighten the ignorant: what elements are you missing?

I thought that this had been discussed like a 1000 times already, but sure, I can give you some examples; first and foremost the neo-classical influences, that together with the stunning melodies were what got me hooked and AYDY? miss out on both these things. I also think that the vocals have become worse (or should I say more boring and unoriginal), I acually think that Alexi sounded best on the Inearthed demos. An other thing is the keyboard sounds wich has turned to shit lately. They sound like a frigging nintendo game nowadays and that plain sucks.

And yeah, that sentence with "writing music like he used to do" was badly formulated, I see that now, but I still prefer bands that don't change and write good music over them who change to the worse. Note that I didn't say that progression is a bad thing, it's good as long as it's done in a way I happen to like ;) .

-Gavin- said:

haha i see your point. Also listen to "Next in line" around 1:25. And then listen to Hypocryisy: "Eraser" at 1:17

But is still think it's a fucking great Cd to my opinion and i'm still glad i preordered it and didn't download it. But i also didn't really know if i liked it or not the first time i heard it. I do now:headbang:
So i get why a lot of people don't like or even hate this album. For me CoB is still one of my favourite bands and i'm going to see them at 28 december in holland:D

I miss some energy and power in this album. Oh yeah, and solos.. I'm sure it's very good live. This album is simply the most vocal-followed Bodom album there is. That's what happens when you have too much time to write lyrics before composing..

diecast said:
the whole album is pretty heavy and thats why many people doesnt like it much...but listen to we,re not gonna fall.....its so....catchy and amazing....this reminds me some old bodom songs...this song rocks
i've shit turds heavier than this album. if this album is your definition of heavy you don't know shit about metal.

Joonas Lehtonen said:
I miss some energy and power in this album. Oh yeah, and solos.. I'm sure it's very good live. This album is simply the most vocal-followed Bodom album there is. That's what happens when you have too much time to write lyrics before composing..

the lyrics suck dick. as was stated in another thread, "you're trying to find depth in a teaspoon"

Their lyrics have no depth compared to what? Slayer... ppphhhhh......
I think the lyrics are fine. Just like Slayers are fine. At least CoB has interesting vocals. Unlike them. I don't think CoB have ever claimed to be great lyricists right? But that doesn't mean some people won't enjoy their lyrics, just like someone might for some reason see something in Slayer's lyrics... god knows why though....

vampyrouss said:
Their lyrics have no depth compared to what? Slayer... ppphhhhh......
I think the lyrics are fine. Just like Slayers are fine. At least CoB has interesting vocals. Unlike them. I don't think CoB have ever claimed to be great lyricists right? But that doesn't mean some people won't enjoy their lyrics, just like someone might for some reason see something in Slayer's lyrics... god knows why though....
imo slayer sucks. especially after seasons in the abyss.

Love Nevermore though!! Who have very good lyrics! I got into them at the same time as CoB actually.

I do like a few songs on this album, but compared to all previous Bodom albums I think this is a shitstain. If there were more synth (with fresher sounding patches) to back the rhythms up, I think that alone would make a huge difference. Oh and We're Not Gonna Fall at 2:40 that keyboard solo, the first few notes are the exact same as a solo used previously in a Bodom song that I can't think of right now.