Are you more than metal?

Heh... I still play Magic. :D

The sad part is I totally missed the Tempest and Urza blocks. I'm more of a casual player too, but recently I've developed an interest in limited tournaments. (I'm too poor to play constructed. ;) )

Okay, let's see...

I'm 20 years old, and I live in a small suburb south of Chicago. I'm in college, and I'm studying Computer Science, but they're not teaching me what I really wanna learn, which is game development. Meh, I've taught it to myself, so who needs the college! :p

In my spare time, I like to read (R.A. Salvatore fucking rules), play computer games, go to movies, yadda yadda yadda. Since I'm a programming nerd, I'm making a game right now.

As far as music is concerned, I'm into all forms of melodic metal and some br00tal bands, but I'm also into non-metal stuff such as King's X, 311, and Incubus (old school, mind you).

Well, I'd write more, but I gotta head off to class! (zzzzzzzz)

.I guess there isn't much I do outside of Music, cause if I didn't have Music I would die. But I'm also a writer. I'm almost done with my first Fantasy Novel, but for the most part I just write songs, and those (of course) are incorporated with my Music.

I thought I'd bring this back to the top for all the new forum friends. If you want to let everybody know what you're into, this seems to be the thread to talk about yourself.

Welcome, all.

I'll try to keep this brief...

My name is Steve. I'm 33 years old, I'm a Mechanical Engineer, married with 2 kids and a shitload of animals.

My favorite band is SymphonyX and this is the only board I ever post to.

I play guitar and bass guitar and did in a band for a number of years until about 3 or 4 years ago. I hardly touch them now but eventually we pla to build our own house so I'll make room for a little studio in the basement. :)

My other hobbies are movies, TV, Football and Golf. Some of my favorite movies are Star Wars (original 3), Lord of the Rings (both so far), both Terminator movies, and I love comedies like What About Bob?, Caddyshack, anything with Jim Carrey, Plains, Trains and Automobiles. Lot's more. I have a huge video/DVD collection.

I used to have a huge metal CD collection but I cut the songs I liked ad burned CD's. Then sold my collection to one of those used stores. I kept all my favorites as the originals though.

I recently got hooked on the PS1 game "Spyro the Dragon". It's awesome! I finished it about a week ago and can't wait to get the 2nd one. I also love "Grand Theft Auto 2". It's great for getting out your frustrations!

I'm a Washington Redskins fan which hasn't been too easy to admit the last few years. :)

I took up golf a couple of yars back and love it! I don't get to play as much as I'd like as it's a pretty expensive and time consuming hobby, and with 2 young kids at home I don't think my wife would like it too much if I just up and went 2 or 3 times a week!!! :)

Anyway, that's about it for me. Not much else I can think of. Later!

I try golf, but I don't have the patience for it. After a few holes I start to get bored and cheat a lot. Then after maybe 11-12 I'm completely bored and I'm ready to go. Not to mention I get toasted every time I go out :(

The Yngster said:
I try golf, but I don't have the patience for it. After a few holes I start to get bored and cheat a lot. Then after maybe 11-12 I'm completely bored and I'm ready to go. Not to mention I get toasted every time I go out :(

I used to hate it because I sucked so bad. I would get so frustrated because I could barely hit the ball and when I did it just shot into the woods or a pond or something. so I took a class about 4 years ago and learned the basics and it's made a world of difference. I love it now! I can't wait to get out every time and always want to play a second round. I just play hole to hole, I don't try to have a perfect round. I can go double or triple bogey on 16 holes but if I birdie the other 2 I'm happy. I don't take it too serious. :)

Dunno why I never posted something in this thread before. Hmmmmmm, okay, I won't post my whole life story, because if I do I will keep writing for days ;)

My real name is Nicolien, mostly of my friends call me Nica.
15 years ago I was born in a little place in Holland called Grave. When I was 4 I moved to Den Bosch / 's-Hertogenbosch where I grew up.

I'm very shy and I'm not tall at all, just wanted to mention that!

I really have a lot of hobbies, but my fav. hobbies are music and drawing. I play drums for 3 years or something. I can play everything of metallica lol, and now I try to do some things of SymX (Awakenings, The Witching hour) and Dream Theater (Pull me Under, The Mirror). I want to form a band very soon, maybe with my brother.

I don't like to play golf, but I prefer mini golf. Much easier!

I like to listen to prog, power, death, heavy, industrial, speed, thrash metal. I don't like girls who think they are so damn cool because they listen to Linkin Park & co. They think I'm weird. People at school think I'm silly because I'm not one of those fashion girls and guys at school. I don't care, I like to be silly ;)

By the way, I also like to listen to dutch pop music (sorry for that) and classical music.

I have 2 brothers: 19 (play guitar for like 3 or 4 years now) and 21 (plays (acoustic) guitar for 10 or 11 years I guess) years old. We 3 went to a SymX concert some months ago. Since then my youngest brother (19) became a huge fan of them. He almost can play everything like what Romeo and Petrucci do.

I had some problems at school because of my health. Everything is okay now.
I don't have many friends, but the friends I have are the best and I love them :) Mostly of them live in other countries.

I can go on for like hours, but I won't. hehe :p

Wow it's fantastic reading through all of that and getting to know everyone who posts here..

I don't have very much of a life story, but I can tell you some anyway. I am 23, and I have a son who is just about to turn 3 named Joshua. I have lived 2 and a half years in Japan (It's where he was born), and have travelled to the States' East Coast, but have been back home in Australia for 18months now.

So I don't have a career as yet, until recently didn't really have focus on where I wanted to take life or what I have any talent to do.. But hopefully I have found that now with an opportunity that has arisen. (fingers crossed).

I also have been tutoring myself on webdesign..I will link you to my first site that I have done, though I have upgraded it many times as I have learnt more things (If it works, I'm not sure yet how to do it )

http://www.geocities.com/thesilentrealm

There's also a couple of pictures there of my son and I.

Everyone knows about my SyX obsession.. So I don't need to elaborate any further on that.

Basically I'm pretty much an open book, what you see is what you get. I don't care what people think of me, especially if its a pre-judicial opinion. I don't have alot of friends, I'd really like to have alot more female friends in particular, but it's very hard making female friends. That's my only gripe.

So anyhoo.. thats me

Wow talk about showing up to a party late, how trendy :

I'm 20 my real name is Alexander and live in the hustle bustle land of Chinqford, East London.
I'm a manic depressant and wish I was dead, just kidding.

My life is mainly about music and of course the drums, when I'm not playing them I'm annoying people by always tappin on tables and stuff, It's my god given gift. I also write songs and my goal is to one day re-define prog and be half as good as my idol Neil Peart. My brother and my old man are both shit hot guitarists so I'm hoping you'll know the whole family one day!

Back to the real world I studied media for 2 years in college and then decided I wanted nothing to do with it, good move. Now I study my other obsession strength and hypertrophy (muscles) which will qualify me to be a personal trainer, get down and give me 20! I'm 6.1, 230lbs 7% b.f and drug free so if any budding trainers need any advice I'd be happy to help. To pay the bills I work in a huge mail centre 8 fuckin hours a day, I hate it.

Back to music, Iron Maiden was my first love, then it was prog bands like Rush, Yes, Crimson as well as the kings of prog metal our very own Symphony X. I like to read occult books by guys like Carlos Castaneda, Tolkein and Alistair Crowley, other worldly stuff to take my mind out of the daily bullshit. I fucking love the Simpsons, watch it every day, if you can't laugh once in a single day your fucked.

I think I'm pretty easy goin, treat others how you would want to be treated and all that. Not an in your face kinda guy but I like to joke and play the fool from time to time, I never take myself seriously and stay well clear from those who do, #1 rule.

What was that, you didn't ask for my life story? I'll shut up then,

Laters gang

Great thread Idea.

My name is Sean and I am 21. I have been into metal for the past 5 to 6 years after my experience with Sir Mix Alot and other stupid shit like that. My favorite bands are Soilwork, Ensiferum, Pantera and Opeth. I have been in the US Air Force for a little more than 3 years now and I hate it.

I enjoy playing guitar, I've been playing for about 7 years and I still suck, playing video games (mostly RPG's like Final Fantasy and similar) I also like movies, horror for the most part. I love blood, gore and violence. Drinking is also one of my other favorite things to do. When I get drunk I like to get into to fights.(kinda) Actually me and my friends just beat the shit out of each other.

I have just started going to college.
I enjoy reading and studying sociology, philosophy, psychology, serial killers, mass murderers, cult leaders and various types of "religions" including Satanism, Wicca, Buddhism, and Voodoo.
I finally decided to read the Christian Bible so I might understand why some people (christians) think it such a great book.

I constantly try to expand my mind and my knowledge in other areas besides the metal field. I feel I am extremely strong minded and partially open minded. I hold my opinions very high unless proven otherwise, even if they are wrong. I don't really get along with people that are concieted or otherwise full of themselves and shit on people they feel are inferior. I hate prejudice and other stupid discriminatory means. Also I have a very large and twisted sense of humor and find almost all things stupid to be awesome. Well that about wraps it up.

*beers* to all that have expressed themselves on this thread

Ok, I must be one of the older guys up here, but here goes anyway...

Yeah, I'm a real person. My real name is Joop (which is pronounced sounding like 'rope'). I'm 38 yuears of age. I play drums in a punk/rock band and sing backup vocals as well. I started drumming in bands about 10 years ago but never bought a kit untill last year. (it's a Sonor, I broke it in for the first time two weeks ago and it sounds GREAT).

My favourite writers include Stephen King and Jack Vance, I've always been a fan of Star Trek and Star Wars and of mysteries. I enjoy playing games like Quake, Doom, and various soccer computer games.

I work as an administrative assistent at a soccer club. My work is everything from answering the phone, to correspondence, to keeping the membership-administration up to date, to archives, mail distribution, you know, all the daily stuff that comes allong.

I grew up in a place called Katendrecht, the former red light district of this city I live in. I listened mainly to everything my brother played, which is from the Stones, Doors, Led Zep, Pink Floyd to Soul, to Funk, untill later I discovered metal with Maiden and Priest and Van Halen and Rainbow and stuff. After that my fave was Queensryche for quite a while. Untill a girlfriend turned me on to Psychotic Waltz, and (much later, indirectly) to Dream Theater. After that I bought 'Pleasant shade of Grey' by Fates Warning and started ordering everything they ever made on the internet. This is what woke up the prog lover in me. When with Transatlantic I started to discover the Insideout label and got to hear a lot more great bands, I was definetely sold.With Sym X is was much of the same thing.

Personally, I have always been a real shy guy, mainly because I always have had one lazy eye. they used to paste a bandaid over one glass of my glasses or spectacles, whatever you call them and I was operated upon when I was 5 or 6, but to no avail.

I lost some of my shyness when I started singing in bands and playing the drums. But making friends never came easy for me. I always have been much more at ease around women than men. I was a happy bachelor guy for a long time, partying around untill I met my girlfriend some three years ago. She straightened me out and in februari this year I became a home-owner for the first time in my life.

And I'm scared shitless!!

That's about it, really. I have no pic of myself to put up here, or no way of knowing how to such thing, but I'll try to do so sometime. Glad to know you guys!