avant garde metal

yeah, i guess i used the wrong terms hehe, its just that arcturus and winds and Aos sometimes are kind of out-there.

Everybody who likes Ulver or Arcturus, check out Borknagar and Vintersorg. Borknagar is Garm (Ulver)'s former band, which is now fronted by Vintersorg

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Everybody who likes Ulver or Arcturus, check out Borknagar and Vintersorg. Borknagar is Garm (Ulver)'s former band, which is now fronted by Vintersorg

Borknagar: Vastly underrated band, who have 6 excellent albums. Garm did vox on the first 2 (the 1st one is pretty rough though), Simen Hestnaes did vox on the 3 and 4 (the 4th, 'Quintessence', has some of their best songs), and Vintersorg did vocals on the last two, both awesome. Only the latest one ('Epic') has a production to match the weight of the songs.

Vintersorg: Very cool band, 'Visions From The Spiral Generator' is awesome. Great production and Steve DiGiorgio on bass. Didn't like what I heard of 'The Focussing Blur' as much. 'Till Fjalls' is a good debut.

Great recommendations, but I'm not sure I see that much similarity with anything Ulver or Arcturus have done from 1997 onwards.

arcturus are unbelievable. theyre so good it almost hurts listening to them because their songwriting is so solid. dont bother with the new solefald album because it sucks. sigh are good...imaginary sonicscapes is a cool record but i havent heard the new one. i wouldnt consider borknagar in the same league as these other bands at all. theyre awesome though but i dont like epic that much. empericism is a masterpiece though. blut aus nord suck cock, too. i heard so much about them and how good they were so i bought "the work which transforms god" and it absolutely bloooowwwsss. its black metal with keyboards youd find in some horror movie soundtrack. im sure some out there like it, but i cant get into it at all.

NicholasDWolfwood said:

+1. And +1 for In The Woods...

Devy_Metal said:
arcturus are unbelievable. theyre so good it almost hurts listening to them because their songwriting is so solid.
Yes, they are. What's your favourite Arcturus album. Personally, I think La Masquarade Infernale is the best record with the best ideas, but is let down slightly by Garm not-so-good vocals (man, has he improved!!!!). I'm still noy 100% sure about Sideshow Symphonies. I just can't get into it like the earlier albums.

Devy_Metal said:
blut aus nord suck cock, too. i heard so much about them and how good they were so i bought "the work which transforms god" and it absolutely bloooowwwsss. its black metal with keyboards youd find in some horror movie soundtrack. im sure some out there like it, but i cant get into it at all.

I love that album, but I can only listen to it on occasion. I can definately see how some (most) people would think it was utter bollocks though. The black-metal bits (as opposed to the kind of atmospheric/industrial-ish metal bits) have poor, grating production, and aren't very 'musical'. It grew on me though. 'Procession Of The Dead Clowns' blows my mind!

MasterOLightning said:
You think that TWWTG sucks? Wow. Arcturus is black metal with keyboards that you'd find at a circus, yet you think that's good?

hey, yea man. i just cant get into it. i dont like the production at all, not because it's grainy, but because i dont think it fits the mood of the music that well. and all the songs kind of blend together, to me. that being said i probably have to give it another fair shot because i listened to it on a shitty computer when i first bought it and havent listened to it since.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Yes, they are. What's your favourite Arcturus album. Personally, I think La Masquarade Infernale is the best record with the best ideas, but is let down slightly by Garm not-so-good vocals (man, has he improved!!!!). I'm still noy 100% sure about Sideshow Symphonies. I just can't get into it like the earlier albums.

I love that album, but I can only listen to it on occasion. I can definately see how some (most) people would think it was utter bollocks though. The black-metal bits (as opposed to the kind of atmospheric/industrial-ish metal bits) have poor, grating production, and aren't very 'musical'. It grew on me though. 'Procession Of The Dead Clowns' blows my mind!

My favorite Arcturus album is TSM but I love them all. I actually really enjoy the new album. Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer is one of the best songs they've written. That song, along with ECD, NVR, HSC etc...make it one awesome listen. It's like a mix of the best parts of LMI and TSM. I saw them live and it was awesome, too.