Bands similar to CoB?

‘Embers’ is the reflection of his influence on both my songwriting and guitar playing,” says Induction’s Kanoa Hansen. “This is my way of paying tribute to one of my heroes. ‘Embers’ doesn’t only reflect Alexi’s writing style put into Induction’s context, but also lyrically, it’s about the passing of great people and heroes and letting them live on in our memories. ‘Embers’ is also presented together with a music video which represents the lyrical topic of evanescence and postmortem.”
https://www.metalsucks.net/2022/11/26/induction-drop-alexi-laiho-tribute-video-embers/

Been on a huge Kalmah kick lately.....I find this band really helps fill the void of no more Bodom material. Most of you guys probably know them, but for those who don't, they are similar to older era Bodom but with more melodies and less neoclassical influence. The Kokko brothers are great songwriters, even if they do recycle some riffs here and there on the later albums, there's no denying the talent. Here are some of my favorites:

For an album ranking I would say:
1. Swampsong (pretty much every track is 9/10 or higher, songs like Burbot's Revenge, Cloned Insanity, Bird of Ill Omen, Tordah, Doubtful About It All, all classics. Even the ballad Moon of My Nights is good)
2. 12 Gauge (could easily be tied with Swampsong, Rust Never Sleeps and 12 Gauge are two of my favorite songs)
3. Seventh Swamphony (my most listened to Kalmah album, Black Marten's Trace is my favorite Kalmah song of all time and the rest of the album is very good too.)
4. Palo (their newest album and surprisingly very good. The recycled riffs are a bit noticable here though like Waiting in the Wings being a rehash of Wings of Blackening.)
5. Swamplord (debut album and a very solid one at that. Heritance of Berija has one of the best melodies I have ever heard and songs like Hades, Dance of the Water, Evil in You are classics.)
6. The Black Waltz (The Groan of Wind is easily the best song here, the rest isn't too shabby either with songs like Bitter Metallic Side and Mindrust. This album marked the change in sound.)
7. For the Revolution (nearly tied with The Black Waltz, songs like Wings of Blackening, Dead Man's Shadow and the title track are top tier Kalmah tunes. The second half of the album though dips a bit.)
8. They Will Return (some might call it blasphemy putting this at the bottom, but truth be told I think all of these albums are 8/10 or higher. Swamphell, Hollow Heart, and the title track are classics.)

Last edited:
@BodomBlueMoonHC
Thanks for the Kalmah recommendation, will defo check them out.

Don’t know if they’ve already been mentioned in the thread, but these guys “Admire the Grim” are obviously heavily Bodom inspired. Like down to the 2002 denim vest.
It’s kind of in the name. They might as well have named the band “Looking up to Bodom”
Kicks ass for sure. Luckily they’re also original enough and they can sure write a solid riff and lead melody.

Reactions: Fastbodom
@BodomBlueMoonHC
Thanks for the Kalmah recommendation, will defo check them out.

Don’t know if they’ve already been mentioned in the thread, but these guys “Admire the Grim” are obviously heavily Bodom inspired. Like down to the 2002 denim vest.
its more very much Alexi Laiho like, if you give the guy a quick look he looks like the young alexi , same with the front teeth on a few shots haha

It’s kind of in the name. They might as well have named the band “Looking up to Bodom”
Kicks ass for sure. Luckily they’re also original enough and they can sure write a solid riff and lead melody.
=

Yep, I'm fairly certain this is the same guy doing a cover of Lake Bodom:

Definately some CoB- style vibes here and there. These dudes are pretty chill. They even gave me a 5€ discount on a shirt at a show after some chit chat. :tickled:

Dude trying to to his best to impersonate Alexi. Also has a wicked collection of CS RR24s.

Reactions: Sany
Yeah I could only tolerate a couple of songs. Not into that type of melodeath that has all that keyboard silliness going on.

Dude trying to to his best to impersonate Alexi. Also has a wicked collection of CS RR24s.

That gold one isn't a custom shop, that's one of the MIJ RR24's, just in gold. I have the same guitar. Really cool songs though, I'd give this band more listens.

Wintersun sounds really amazing. Jaris Demo Compilation could be a gold pack from the 90's. Really like the Sound from the Keyboard

Yo, been a long time since I've been on this forum .. glad to see it's still around! I made a band and EP and I will be releasing the first song "Heretic" next Friday the 26th. Alexi is probably my biggest guitar influence, especially for leads and atmosphere and such, so I figured you guys might be interested. It's not "like COB", honestly there will never be a blind like COB, but here's a teaser. I'll post the full one when it's out