Bands that have sold out?

I guess a really good example would be Good Charlotte. I mean, they were shit to begin with but at least they had some kind of.... I dunno. From pop punk to just plain pop. That is DEFINATELY selling out, but they were probably also doing that in the beginning but less so, haha.

Today's pop industry makes me sick. If you want to talk about selling out, talk about pop. The "disposable" songs that we hear are of such poor quality, and only for the sole purpose of people getting sick of it and buying more. I don't think this was as much a problem back in the 80's or thereabouts, because there are still quite a lot of timeless classics played from that era, but not so much 90's and beyond I think.

But never fear, I'm predicting that things will get better for the music industry once people can do home recording really easily and record companies have no say in production. I think we should see a rise in "management", and I guess more of what the metal scene is like at the moment. This change should see record companies pushing for long lasting music, rather than the disposable stuff, since they will no longer be making money from record sales.

Annnnyway. Just thought I'd unload my thoughts.

I guess a really good example would be Good Charlotte. I mean, they were shit to begin with but at least they had some kind of.... I dunno. From pop punk to just plain pop. That is DEFINATELY selling out, but they were probably also doing that in the beginning but less so, haha.

Today's pop industry makes me sick. If you want to talk about selling out, talk about pop. The "disposable" songs that we hear are of such poor quality, and only for the sole purpose of people getting sick of it and buying more. I don't think this was as much a problem back in the 80's or thereabouts, because there are still quite a lot of timeless classics played from that era, but not so much 90's and beyond I think.

But never fear, I'm predicting that things will get better for the music industry once people can do home recording really easily and record companies have no say in production. I think we should see a rise in "management", and I guess more of what the metal scene is like at the moment. This change should see record companies pushing for long lasting music, rather than the disposable stuff, since they will no longer be making money from record sales.

Annnnyway. Just thought I'd unload my thoughts.

You are so right man. My brother-in-law and I were just talking about this. So many people remember 80's hits and a couple of 90's hits, but seriously.. how many people remember the hits from just 3 years ago? The 00's have nothing. It's not like back then when there were huge hits that people are going to remember for years. Today's pop is over-flowed with the same shit over and over again and nothing is memorable. In the end whatever is broadcasted/advertised/poured most money into will become the next hit.

It'd be stupid for me to label bands like John Mayer. When you're a sellout from the beginning, that doesn't count.
Here's a sellout: Nickelback. Once an obscure alternative rock band with a cult following, sudden success translated into a plethora of merchandise and a collection of copy&paste "safe" followup albums. The first of which was entitled Silver Side Up. Sold out like they meant it.

yea pops had some good moments, but theres always been plenty of bad. early 70's was fun but got pretty bad mid a few hung in there, then what... new wave had its good and bad, then it kind of divided to dance pop and pop metal, some ZZ and some AC/DC. Hit and miss always with "pop" depends on taste.

There IS a difference between changing styles and selling out.

Yeah this is true...also a difference between adding elements & selling out. Examples...DT added somewhat "numetal" (for lack of a better description) elements but still remained prog as hell...SX did the same but dropped alot of their prog tendencies. But...Romeo still has his Yngwie pants on. :heh:

SX did the same but dropped alot of their prog tendencies.

Since when?
Paradise lost is still quite full of progressiveness.
Honestly, listen to Damnation Game then listen to Paradise Lost. You will notice a lot of similarities. In essence they have gone back to what they originally have done, guitar based metal with progressive and classical influences.

It'd be stupid for me to label bands like John Mayer. When you're a sellout from the beginning, that doesn't count.

If anything Mayer has done the opposite...by starting poppy, then becoming introspective, and now just wanting to be a bluesman. I don't care enough to argue, but I can definitely say I both enjoy and respect John Mayer as a player/songwriter.

Anthrax has sold out completely with their actions, though I can't say with their music. The Bush-era literally was just a new direction, and, well, sounded much better than anything with Belladonna. "We've Come For You All" is still a kickass record, so I can't say they've sold out musically. Yet. Go to their homepage and listen to that sample with the new faux-Bushlite guy. Garbage.

Metallica is almost too obvious.

Megadeth sold out, then tried to regain their pride. I feel they've made it about halfway there. Minus Friedman, who's off somewhere playing his guitar in purples.

Also, whoever said Fates Warning, I got to disagree there. Definite musical shift, not money-grabbing attempt.

Yeah this is true...also a difference between adding elements & selling out. Examples...DT added somewhat "numetal" (for lack of a better description) elements but still remained prog as hell...SX did the same but dropped alot of their prog tendencies. But...Romeo still has his Yngwie pants on. :heh:

You mean to say Dream Theater ran out of ideas and blatantly copied their heroes + a modern rock sound, while Symphony X just turned the badass meter up a notch.

Pop music today is less memorable than it was in the 80's and 90's because pop music today is filled with nothing but rap/hip-hop music. I hate this genre so much I don't even like calling it music.

I get so tired of hearing this type of wanna be music crap EVERYWHERE I go. I really never understood what makes people coorelate this sound with being "hardcore" and "badass". There is nothing "extreme" or "hardcore" about some machine beat with maybe a little synthisizer behind some guy "talking" in rhymes about how gangsta he is. The more I think about it, I am more aggrevated with how you can't go anywhere without having to hear it than I am with the fact that it exists at all. I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago for my sister's wedding. I was in the French Quarter walking around, this is the old town where jazz, blues, and southern rock types of music have always defined the atmosphere. Even so, there were only a few occasional instances where I saw any of these styles of music being played, just about every single bar there was not only playing rap/hip-hop, but blasting it so loud that I was surprised the old time buildings weren't crumbling.

You mean to say Dream Theater ran out of ideas and blatantly copied their heroes + a modern rock sound, while Symphony X just turned the badass meter up a notch.

I don't see it that way with DT...but to each their own...you say they copy...l say they're eclectic. The turned up badass meter got SX 30 mins opening for DT in Europe...they did accomplish something ;)