bands with flawless discographies

When I first started getting more serious about metal and looked up discussion about it on the Internet, I was led to believe that Death were the holy grail of death metal and I should immediately acquire all albums. I followed this advice and got them all and I ended up getting rid of half of them! What lies I was told.

Since then, whenever someone mentions "Death's flawless discography" I roll my eyes and assume they're quite new to metal and don't know any better. Of course there are exceptions with some experienced metallers who genuinely love all of their stuff.
Personally I'm one of those old farts who love all Death's stuff and do consider them to be brilliant. Maybe because they were the first death metal act I'd ever heard and they just sounded so different. Like thrash had somehow become even more evil than it had been with Slayer's Reign In Blood. I've been hooked on them ever since '89.

Reactions: Baroque
Implying Headless Cross is worse than Forbidden, Never Say Die, or Technical Ecstasy.... Then I'm sure you'll say some goofy shit about how that's obviously wrong, even though all you have to do is look at reviews on MA to see you're in the minority.

Reactions: Dak and The Ozzman
When I first started getting more serious about metal and looked up discussion about it on the Internet, I was led to believe that Death were the holy grail of death metal and I should immediately acquire all albums. I followed this advice and got them all and I ended up getting rid of half of them! What lies I was told.

Since then, whenever someone mentions "Death's flawless discography" I roll my eyes and assume they're quite new to metal and don't know any better. Of course there are exceptions with some experienced metallers who genuinely love all of their stuff.
Fuck off. Death isn't my favorite metal band and I've been listening to metal for longer than the majority of people here. I agree that some people can get carried away with the love for this band. But, after Scream Bloody Gore, the quality of their albums were remarkably consistent. Only reason I said that they are the closest to having a flawless discography is that most of the metal bands that I like went off the rails at some point in their careers.

Headless Cross is a good late 1980s metal album. The production sounds a bit dated but the songs are pretty decent.

Implying Headless Cross is worse than Forbidden, Never Say Die, or Technical Ecstasy.... Then I'm sure you'll say some goofy shit about how that's factually wrong, even though all you have to do is look at reviews on MA to see you're in the minority.

Fixed for what he'll actually say. Headless Cross is good. I prefer Cross Purposes and The Eternal Idol though.

Reactions: Dak and Krow
A lot of the negative criticism directed towards Forbidden over the years has been pretty hyperbolic. The way people constantly harp on Ice-T's contribution you'd think he did vocals on the entire album (in truth that was the record company's original idea) when his verse on "The Illusion of Power" lasts about 15 seconds. It might sound a bit awkward, sure, but not enough to ruin an entire album. The production is also appropriately muddy. Fits the songs rather well. Ranked alongside the other Martin albums, its not as strong as what came before but its far from a terrible album.

Aside from When Death Calls, I'd honestly rather listen to Forbidden than Headless Cross.
Fuck off. Death isn't my favorite metal band and I've been listening to metal for longer than the majority of people here. I agree that some people can get carried away with the love for this band. But, after Scream Bloody Gore, the quality of their albums were remarkably consistent. Only reason I said that they are the closest to having a flawless discography is that most of the metal bands that I like went off the rails at some point in their careers.
TSOP blows. Symbolic kinda does too.

TSOP blows. Symbolic kinda does too.
ITP was my first Death album and maybe because of that, it's always been my favorite. I like Symbolic well enough but it is my least favorite of the albums after their debut. That many consider it to be one of the best death metal albums ever is beyond me. I used to think Sound of perseverance wasn't that good also, but I like pulling out that album more than most of their others now

Reactions: LOUD METAL
I just don't dig it. Given it a few chances. But, I also didn't like Spiritual Healing the first time I heard it-maybe I should give it another go.

Scream Bloody Gore is a good album, but it doesn't really do anything better than any of the other albums, so I agree it's probably the weakest effort of the early era. Spiritual Healing is easily Death's strongest album though.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Scream Bloody Gore is the only Death album that seems to have much atmosphere on it. The other albums don't sound nearly so dark or malevolent, and the late period music is completely uninteresting to me. I also find the vocals on the later albums to be a lot less enjoyable.

Reactions: CiG