Bands You Wish You Liked

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
I was thinking earlier that there are a few bands that I wish I could get into, be it because of who is making the music, who is generally enjoyed by people who like the same music as me, etc.

Three come to mind for me...

-Led Zeppelin. They're incredibly influential to metal and musically they're pretty great, but I hate to say that Robert Plant's voice begins to grate on my nerves after a song or two...

-White Zombie. I'm definitely a fan of most of Rob Zombie's work, but White Zombie just doesn't do it for me.

-Katatonia. I want to like Katatonia because Mike has been involved with them, many Opeth fans really seem to dig 'em, but their music is so depressingly dull.

I've listened to a lot of Beatles lately in hopes of being a fan.... but I'm not

I've listened to a lot of Beatles lately in hopes of being a fan.... but I'm not

LOL! I have the same 'problem', many of my friends are huge Beatles fans and in theory i should like them but funny as it is i dont and the reason............................paul mccartney being a cunt? Seriously though, just dont like them

Most people here seem to think Meshuggah and Gojira are the shit so I keep trying to listen to them hoping something will click but their vocalists still sound downright horrible to me. And even the musicianship doesn't seem THAT great. Sure it's heavy and the rhythms are sometimes a little different but the riff structures seem really mundane. Also, although Moontower is one of my absolute favorite albums and I love some Edge of Sanity songs (Twilight, The Masque, Crimson), Dan Swano sometimes seems like he is just trying to yell lyrics as fast as he can in the majority of Edge of Sanity songs. No wonder he said he can't sustain extreme vocals for an entire setlist.

So yea, three bands almost everyone here loves, flame on.

I was thinking earlier that there are a few bands that I wish I could get into, be it because of who is making the music, who is generally enjoyed by people who like the same music as me, etc.

Three come to mind for me...

-Led Zeppelin. They're incredibly influential to metal and musically they're pretty great, but I hate to say that Robert Plant's voice begins to grate on my nerves after a song or two...

The mighty Led Zeppelin. Tony Iommi has named Zep 2 one of the most infleuntial albums. Same with Ian Pace and a bunch of older rockers. If you started out with metal, it's hard to backtrack to when all hard rock was blues based. I grew up with it and love it to this day. I can see what you mean by Plant's voice. The Song Remains the Same, a great song, but Plant's voice. :puke: Try to consider what times were like in 1969 when Zep's first 2 albums came out and that might help your appreciation.

Most people here seem to think Meshuggah and Gojira are the shit so I keep trying to listen to them hoping something will click but their vocalists still sound downright horrible to me.
So yea, three bands almost everyone here loves, flame on.

Still seems kinda funny to me about how one death metal band's screaming vocals can differ from anothers mostly cuz I'm older and had to condition myself to like it. But I guess I see what you mean. I like both Mesh and Gojira too, but to people my age (40-something) the growl is something we just can't get past. I forced myself to like the growlin vocals cuz I fucking love hard core metal. To me it's the music, the song, that pulls me in then I just let the vocal part slowly sink in. Just another opinion. :cool:

As long as the vocalist doesn't sound like an incoherent cookie monster and the musical composition is amazing as well, there's not a problem.

Gojira simply fit this category.

I don't have a problem with death metal vocals or black metal vocals, only vocals that sound like just plain yelling, like the singer didn't even try to learn how to growl/rasp/etc.

I don't really understand the concept of 'not liking something but wanting to'. There are some bands that I guess I'm supposed to like or something, but if I don't then I won't bother feeling guilty about it because um....why would I? I'm not particularly into the Beatles and I really don't give a shit if I ever am.

Apparently, because I like Wintersun, I should like Norther, C.O.B, and Ensiferum too.

This is only true with first two Ensiferum albums.

But no, I don't ever "wish" I liked something. Why would I want to like music that doesn't sound good to me, hah?

Apparently, because I like Wintersun, I should like Norther, C.O.B, and Ensiferum too.

This is only true with first two Ensiferum albums.

But no, I don't ever "wish" I liked something. Why would I want to like music that doesn't sound good to me, hah?

Well, I suppose I made this thread as kind of an antithesis to the "guilty pleasures" thread- music you like but are somewhat guilty about it. This thread is just the opposite. Music you think you should like given your overall listening habits, but you simply don't enjoy.

Wow! Really? I think Revolver is easily one of the greatest albums ever created. Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul are also incredible. The Beatles have yet to have any equal in all of rock music, certainly in terms of consistent quality.

Actually, Opeth may be the closest that I can think of in terms of consistent quality. Which is one of the reasons I am such a big fan.

Seriously, how many bands do you know that have put out a string of nine albums of consistent excellent musical quality? Not even the greats like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. have accomplished such a feat. And certainly no other metal band.

Anyway, back to the topic, bands that fall into this category for me are Katatonia and Porcupine Tree. Bands that other Opeth fans seem to rave about, but I don't really like them. While the music quality is good, I just can't get into either.