Bands You Wish You Liked

wtf is "a root"?
I don't listen to the Beatles. They seem like people I wouldn't want to have a beer with. That greatly affects my enjoyment their music. Seriously.

I think its worth noting that "trying" and "wanting" to like something might pay off eventually, just as much as it can sometimes be futile. If i havent really tried i wouldnt even begin to like Opeth or Katatonia. But this "effort" was not so much a voluntary effort, but simply open-mindedness and intuition that there could and should be something that will show up if i try and listen a few more songs a few more times. With Opeth, however much i had troubles with growling and "improvised" songwriting, acoustic parts just felt too beautiful not to try a bit more. So, despite the obstacles, there was actually a catch, a hook, a signal that made my efforts impulsive rather than rational.

Why feeling sorry for not liking something that other people of similar taste and background do? Well, because you are missing out, i think theres never enough of good bands, and just thinking that i could enjoy some band's music as much as i do Opeth's if i were lucky enough to have sensibility for it makes me feel sorry.

Anyway, i think its important to note that there seems to be something, some fatal affinity or inability that makes us fall in love with a band or be helplessly indifferent to it. It is at this moment when it is usually said that emotional response to music is "subjective". I have to admit i had serious issues accepting this, as i believed in some basic objectivity and sense of good taste and i would usually get pissed off if someone would say Robert Plant sounds like shit or whatever, but in time i realized i have to accept it and go in peace with it. I still think there are good and critically relevant reasons to explain things, just as there are shallow and incompetent opinions, but personal response is something that should be taken into consideration primarily, imo.

When it comes to artists i happen to dislike despite their wide recognition and appreciation, i have to pick out 60s generation of American songwriters, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Simon and Garfunkel, also (though not Americans, but kinda same breed) Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison... Whenever i read rave reviews for their famous albums i just couldnt help but feel somebody was making fun of me and persuading me that something that felt quite bland and average to me, not bad, but not too good either, certainly void of true musical genius, should be praised as greatest music ever recorded. There are many more examples, but with Dylan it was very distinct, there were times when i even developed a sort of ill-fated animosity towards the whole singer-songwriter legacy, mostly cause i felt oppressed and obliged to like it, even though i thought some less appreciated music was much better. Anyway, eventually i went on to understand and appreciate Dylan's importance, but remained loyal to my emotions and continued enjoying music that my heart was telling me was best.

Why feeling sorry for not liking something that other people of similar taste and background do? Well, because you are missing out, i think theres never enough of good bands, and just thinking that i could enjoy some band's music as much as i do Opeth's if i were lucky enough to have sensibility for it makes me feel sorry.

Well said.

I hate listening to some black metal and then finding out that they are NSBM, or reading about a band who is supposedly sooooo good (you know who I'm talking about....burzum) but also also reading about the racism behind the music. Like the person who said s/he couldn't listen to the beatles because s/he couldn't have a beer with them, i can't bring myself to support a band because of racism or some shit like that.

who cares if varg is a delusional ninny...he still made amazing metal music that's practically unrivaled to this day in the bm scene (other than by his contemporaries like mayhem and darkthrone). not to mention he's changed his public stance on these subjects so many times in the last 15 years, it's hard to tell what he really thinks and supports

Anyway, eventually i went on to understand and appreciate Dylan's importance, but remained loyal to my emotions and continued enjoying music that my heart was telling me was best.

In the end that's all that matters. Music is such a personal thing. It has to mean something. Paul Rogers said that he music he enjoys the most is the music that sends a shiver down his spine. That says it all for me. That's when you are "enjoying music that my heart was telling me was best."

Sorry about my crude statement. I sometimes crack jokes at the wrong time.

I hate listening to some black metal and then finding out that they are NSBM, or reading about a band who is supposedly sooooo good (you know who I'm talking about....burzum) but also also reading about the racism behind the music. Like the person who said s/he couldn't listen to the beatles because s/he couldn't have a beer with them, i can't bring myself to support a band because of racism or some shit like that.

Yeh,
Im one, of the dark complexion so stuff like that puts me off a lot too. in saying that, Any sort of superiority based on color is a real drag,
Black power, White power, Asian power, its all bs to me.
Theres a fine line between being proud of who you are, and being stupid about it imo.........

wtf is "a root"?
I don't listen to the Beatles. They seem like people I wouldn't want to have a beer with. That greatly affects my enjoyment their music. Seriously.

:OMG::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeh, i know its an overreaction.

But to answer your question, a root is a fuck in aussie slang. I assume its aussie anyway.

Led Zeppelin is good, but something about the production on some of their albums seriously makes me feel like it's hard to breathe. I can't even really explain it. But it sucks.

All the old bands, especifically AC-DC and Alice Cooper.

And Julma Henri, that's the only artist so far that I can't even listen a whole song to, though the lyrics are pretty much genious.