bands you'd never admit you like

HIM (but not the last few albums)
Placebo

I have to admit a weakness for Dark Light, and can occasionally be found screaming to Wings of a Butterfly. Can't stand HIM these days and they're shite live, but Wings is a fucking classic song. Also, there's no shame in Placebo, especially if you're talking about the early days.

And talking of shite bands...I spent yesterday afternoon in a pub listening to non-stop Shitewish. For three straight hours, and it'd been on all day before I arrived apparently. Feel vaguely tainted. Even the Shitewish fans, (who were going to the gig later on at the Academy) got fed up of it and came with us in search of somewhere with better music(!) :lol:

Have now got BM on very, very loudly to make it all better :D

Dark Light might have had a track or two that weren't too bad. I don't really remember. Love Metal was the last album I really liked. They were decent when I saw them live, but I think that was on their first US tour. Most of what I've heard about them sucking live started quite some time after that.

Music in any given public place is almost guaranteed to be pretty lame. I'm not a big Nightwish fan either. :yuk:

Dark Light might have had a track or two that weren't too bad. I don't really remember. Love Metal was the last album I really liked. They were decent when I saw them live, but I think that was on their first US tour. Most of what I've heard about them sucking live started quite some time after that.

Yeah, their live performance has been going downhill pretty fast in the last few years. Seen them a couple of times, and the mildly-drunken-rockstar act has gone way too far now. When I saw them a couple of years ago, Ville wasn't just slightly pissed, he was wasted and it was irritating rather than cool.

Music in any given public place is almost guaranteed to be pretty lame. I'm not a big Nightwish fan either. :yuk:

What gave you the impression I don't like them? :lol:

Pity the poor fool who, having heard me refer to them as 'Shitewish' all night, asked me if I was 'going to the Nightwish gig'....in the middle of a conversation about "Paganfest and PROPER Finnish Metal pwn Shitewish". :rolleyes:

I was as polite as I could manage in the face of such idiocy.

Yeah, their live performance has been going downhill pretty fast in the last few years. Seen them a couple of times, and the mildly-drunken-rockstar act has gone way too far now. When I saw them a couple of years ago, Ville wasn't just slightly pissed, he was wasted and it was irritating rather than cool.

That's pretty much what I heard :(

What gave you the impression I don't like them? :lol:

Pity the poor fool who, having heard me refer to them as 'Shitewish' all night, asked me if I was 'going to the Nightwish gig'....in the middle of a conversation about "Paganfest and PROPER Finnish Metal pwn Shitewish". :rolleyes:

I was as polite as I could manage in the face of such idiocy.

Hah, that's great! Aw, sounds like someone liked you!

There is nothing wrong with liking Björk, I'm off to see her live in less than a month.

Plus she does crazy things like shouting 'FREE TIBET' in the middle of China
FTW

Hah, that's great! Aw, sounds like someone liked you!

It was a moment to savour. Really was.

As for someone liking me, last night actually unnerved me somewhat. Being in the middle of my dissertation and not having much time to myself, I threw on the first pair of black cords that came to hand, along with a levi's t-shirt I've actually been sleeping for well over a week. Added New Rocks, obligatory black eyeliner and straightened my hair while typing a bit more dissertation and posting on here, and hey presto:

More male attention than I've had all year in my usual big 50s skirts and halterneck tops. Felt slightly bitter about it, but so, so comfortable! No sextruple-layer petticoat to keep out of the way while going for a wee, no million and one layers to keep track of and it didn't matter that I didn't get round to shaving under my arms.

Still prefer my big 50s skirts etc, but I guess that's just female perversity/masochism for you? :lol:

Well, a lot of guys like a girl with a casual look! That includes me a fair amount of the time. 50s clothes is pretty neat, too, though.

I'm not 'ashamed' or 'embarrassed' of any of the music I listen to.
It's what I enjoy, why should I have to feel like I have to impress others through music I listen to?

And I'll listen to anything from chart pop to death metal to classical/opera/pop crossovers like Il Divo, jazz, relaxation music, folk music, r'n'b/hip hop, most sub genres of rock/metal etc, techno, dance, and hell...I was raised listening to country and western! So I'm into pretty much anything. And I definitely am not embarrassed to admit it. People should have open minds when listening to music. ;)

Sampy Arctica™;7111958 said:
I'm not 'ashamed' or 'embarrassed' of any of the music I listen to.
It's what I enjoy, why should I have to feel like I have to impress others through music I listen to?

And I'll listen to anything from chart pop to death metal to classical/opera/pop crossovers like Il Divo, jazz, relaxation music, folk music, r'n'b/hip hop, most sub genres of rock/metal etc, techno, dance, and hell...I was raised listening to country and western! So I'm into pretty much anything. And I definitely am not embarrassed to admit it. People should have open minds when listening to music. ;)

I agree with you!Well said man!

Is this a good place to admit that I've recently been revisiting the music of my ball-of-hormones preteen days? :lol:

Not that I was ever into erm...*cough*911*cough* or anything...:oops:

Me neither. That's why I'm perfectly happy for the world to know I spent much of my childhood listening to Shakin Stevens and the early part of my teens as an Elvis fan. And I still have a distinct sneaking regard for The Dubliners.

*sigh*

Some people on this forum need to learn to take a joke... I'm not in the least bit ashamed of my music - if I was, I wouldn't listen to it. I grew up as a poptart and if anyone feels the need to judge me for that, it says more about them than it does about me. I've actually just spent most of today revisiting my youth with 911's album 'The Journey', which is surprisingly good compared to some of the shite I used to listen to. And I'm not calling it 'shite' because I'm embarrassed, some of it really is hideous heard through adult ears.

Just chill already.

Shame, your posts say otherwise.
The whole point of this thread is to find out what affectionately termed 'shite' we listen to apart from the mainstream radio crap none of us can escape.

and to stay on topic I have every rasmus album and listen to them regularly
bet you didn't see that one coming
*lols*

No one is taking any of this seriously other than you.

I've held this back until now, but I think it's about time someone told you that, whether you mean to or not, you come across as very aggressive and incredibly rude. I don't care if this is 'just' an internet forum, nothing excuses rudeness, and you would do well to consider how you come across to other people. This isn't me taking things 'seriously', this is common courtesy and manners, which apply just as much online as they do in real life.

and to stay on topic I have every rasmus album and listen to them regularly
bet you didn't see that one coming
*lols*

Same, although I only ever listen to Playboys, Dead Letters and Hide From The Sun. In fact I've just put Playboys on, seeing as I haven't listened to it in ages :lol:

*dances to Playboys*

I have periods when I don't listen much to metal at all but they seem to become fewer and fewer the older I get. Last week I listened to nothing but The Beatles all days long though. I have those weird spells where I get totally snowed in on a particular band or genre.

I have so many albums from different genres that I normally go for one kind of music at the time. Odd maybe, but it works for me. One week it's rock, the next it's black metal and then it's German old-school speed/thrash etc etc.

This week is all about the latter. Necronomicon, Darkness, Iron Angel, S.D.I...YUMMY!