Beseech Reviews

Beseech - Souls Highway
August 2002 | Released: 2002, Napalm Records
Rating: 3.5/5 | Reviewer: Rick

Why this band isn’t a bigger name I really don’t know. When gothic metal is mentioned I hear the basic Lacuna Coil, Theater of Tragedy, Sins of thy Beloved and The Gathering spoken of but rarely if ever hear anything about this band. It’s a crying shame. Beseech are one of the better bands that fall under the broad umbrella that is called gothic metal. It has only been a year since I had the opportunity to review their last disc BLACK EMOTIONS but a lot has happened to the band in that time. The most important being that they have left Pavement music and have signed a deal with Napalm Records that should see them get better distribution and a higher profile.

The band has had 3 albums on 3 different labels. Most bands would have packed it in but Beseech just keeps on plugging away. SOULS HIGHWAY sees the band heading in a slightly less heavy direction and female vocalist Lotta Hooglin takes on a bigger share of the vocal performance this time. On BLACK EMOTIONS I was surprised that she didn’t contribute more but that has been rectified on this release. Most of the songs are split pretty evenly with new vocalist Erik Molarin. The strongest song on the CD is the title track. It is also the heaviest and fastest of the 11 songs on the disc as well. “Fiction City” features the vocals of Hooglin and is a basic straight ahead riff oriented song which differentiates it from most of the rest of the disc which is more melodic with a much heavier use of keyboards. SOULS HIGHWAY is closed out with a cover of the Abba track “Gimme Gimme Gimme”. They breathe new life into this song and make it over into a doomy gothic slow ride that fits perfectly with the overall atmosphere of the disc.

One of the strong points of this CD is the fact that Beseech stay away from the dueling brutal vocals and female clean vocals that so many gothic metal bands seem to do today. They have instead substituted the ultra deep voice of Molarin. They mesh perfectly with the angelic voice of Hooglin. Beseech have traveled in a more melodic direction with this release. With the new label support and the strength of the material this could quite possibly be the breakthrough disc for the band.

The Darkest Hour

After a line-up change, Sweden's beseech are back with a more mature release, Souls Highways. If you want something Dark, this band is totally Gothic!!! This is their third album but their first with their new label Napalm Records and this is the beginning of something way better than before. Even if I liked 'Black Emotions' their was something I dislike with the vocals, but let me tell you that it's not a problem anymore! The new vocalist have an awesome clean voice that sound more gothic than the vocalist before and that fits the music perfectly! The female vocals is more present to the songs and she sounds amazing. Now that they got the right members, let me tell you that Beseech will probably be a name that we'll hear in the dark metal music industry! For those who likes bands like Theatre of Tragedy (during the Aegis period) & Lacuna Coil (by the way they tour together, what a great match!!) this release has been made for you! Beautiful Melancholy melodies with an awesome production, this album is definition of Gothic Metal....

90%

Patrick
http://www.thedarkesthours.com

Hi Nathalie!
I translated this and some other German reviews for the Homepage of the Beseech Fanclub. So here it is in English...

With their third album the Swedes finally accomplish the perfect symbiosis of songs that stay in our ears and dark hardness. It stands out against the masses of publications in Gothic Metal and Dark Rock manly because of its one melancholy mood, penetrated by enchanting melodies. These two singers sound – maybe for the first time ever – very homogeneous and sovereign at one time: Erik Molarin, who is able to use his voice in the same deep intonation like The 69 Eyes or The Sisters Of Mercy and his female pendant Lotta Höglin who is able to show us that there are women with powerful voices in this genre and who is blessed with a timbre like The Gathering´s Anneke. Not only the hit “Between The Lines” or the tugging “Sunset 28” show us the enormous variety of this band, even the Abba cover version “Gimme Gimme Gimme” can convince by its doomy atmosphere. Great!
8,5 of 10 points / Andreas Kais

Visit www.beseechfanclub.com for more reviews.

beseech.gif
banner2.gif

Thx Velvet Erotica for the translation. :wave:

Good Nickname pick by the way.

Back said:
The Darkest Hour

After a line-up change, Sweden's beseech are back with a more mature release, Souls Highways. If you want something Dark, this band is totally Gothic!!! This is their third album but their first with their new label Napalm Records and this is the beginning of something way better than before. Even if I liked 'Black Emotions' their was something I dislike with the vocals, but let me tell you that it's not a problem anymore! The new vocalist have an awesome clean voice that sound more gothic than the vocalist before and that fits the music perfectly! The female vocals is more present to the songs and she sounds amazing. Now that they got the right members, let me tell you that Beseech will probably be a name that we'll hear in the dark metal music industry! For those who likes bands like Theatre of Tragedy (during the Aegis period) & Lacuna Coil (by the way they tour together, what a great match!!) this release has been made for you! Beautiful Melancholy melodies with an awesome production, this album is definition of Gothic Metal....

90%

Patrick
http://www.thedarkesthours.com

Hey! Cool to see that me review ended up here :)

Beseech rules!!!!!

Patrick