• I Spit On Your Grave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Burning

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is going to be hard and I know alot have been left out, but just choose the best out of the ones here! I've chosen popular/classic ones. There are 2763057235's of good ones.

My vote has to go to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But also I'm very much into Italian horror (especially stuff by Dario Argento and Mario Bava), and D-Grade exploitation sex/horror stuff.

Really???

Well you need to get your buttocks down to the nearest video store and hire out a bunch of horrors on weekly loan. Usually my trip to the video store consists of visiting the horror section, then going to the counter, then leaving :)

Recommendations:

Halloween - abolsute classic, very groundbreaking... And SO much suspense, best atmosphere. Has 6 sequels, most are pretty decent, Halloween 2 rocks. Keep in mind that Halloween 3 is nothing to do with the series, but good anyway. H20 is awful.

Friday The 13th - not partilcularly brilliant but in a way its the first really TRUE slasher film (ie. brainless "girls run through forest about to be cut up by unseen maniac" movie)... has 8 sequels, most of which suck.

The Burning - rip off from Friday The 13th but about 7236503215 times better!

Evil Dead - excellent comedy/gore movie! Really funny with nothing but bad one liners and excessive gore.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - strange to describe coz on one hand its fun comic book horror, but on the other hand it can be very serious too... very claustrophobic movie, VERY real acting, and excellent direction. Looks almost like a doco at times, and Tobe Hooper puts the focus on pain/discomfort over blood/gore which is way more effective because dead people can't feel pain. Eg. the camera being on someone hanging on a meat hook screaming as they watch their boyfriend being chopped up with a chainsaw is much more powerful than seeing the body being carved up. CLASSIC! There are 3 sequels... TCM2 is excellent comedy/gore, TCM3 is boring and I haven't seen 4.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - great fastasy/slasher type movie. You HAVE to see it, everyone has! Brilliant! Its the series with Freddy Krueger, there are 6 sequels, but only Nightmare 3 and the 7th one Wes Craven's New Nightmare are good.

Those ones will get you started heheh. All fine films :)

So hard to choose between Hellraiser and The Exorcist. Out of the three on this list that I've seen, I enjoy them both just as much.

The Omen, however, was a bloody disgrace. How it inspired such a great Iced Earth song, I'll never know.

W

If you had put Evil Dead 2 instead of Evil Dead 1, then I would have voted for that over The Exorcist.

God, where have you guys been? Half of those films are classics in ANY genre!!

I don't scare easily, and I really don't think cheesy 70's/80's movies have a even a remote chance to chill....

Ohhh yeah, also Dawn Of The Dead is a classic epic zombie/gore movie..... but Demons is better in my opinion, more real looking and more effective gore effects, and a metal soundtrack :) The acting is purely shocking though.

Prom Night is an excellent underrated slasher movie, the original Stanley Kubrick version of The Shining is an EPIC horror! It rocks... Basket Case is a fucken laugh (twins get separated and one is just a head with arms in a basket who wants to mangle the faces of the doctors who separated them), and I wouldn't recommend I Spit On Your Grave right away because it is um... well very gloomy and serious... no music in the entire thing except when she puts her record player on.... its basically the first half is a girl being repeatedly raped, then she kills the guys who did it. It's banned too, but easy to find... and shouldn't be banned coz its anti-rape, not pro-rape.

Originally posted by Spiff
Another day, another comment from Wrathchild that offends me deeply. The Omen ROCKS!!! :)

So far today, he's dished a movie, a tv series and an album. :lol:

what a bitch :mad:

I tell a lie. I've seen The Shining as well. Very good indeed, but I'd like to read the book sometime so I can make a decent comparison. From what I've heard, Stephen King wasn't too happy with Kubrick's version. That's why he remade it as a mini-series.

W

I Spit On Your Grave is a classic! Saw it years ago when I was a kid.

The Shining... loved the book, hated Kubrick's version though. Haven't seen the made-for-TV one yet.

Yeah I agree with Sydo that most of those movies don't chill.

Gory horrors movies in particular are just fun and light hearted. But there are a few slasher movies which really do keep you very tense surprisingly, Halloween being the main one. The atmosphere is so thick, mainly coz of the music and great direction. That was the first horror film which had me on the edge of my seat, and the only one that did it for almost the whole film.

Some of the films are there not to shock or thrill though, but are quite disturbing. I tend to like those, if a film can disturb, it's good in my opinion.

Friday The 13th is the one with the hockey mask haha.

Yeah Kubrick made lots of changed to King's story with the film apparently, but I've read whatt hose changes are and to be honest I think Kubrick's changes are better, particulary the ending.

Actually it was the Friday The 13th sequels with the hockey mask.

Jason didn't show up till the sequel... I won't give away who the killer is in the original because it's a mystery until the end.