• Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Viva Emptiness

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • The Great Cold Distance

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
Dance of December Souls

I only like DoDS and BMD. Their newer stuff sounds more like Coldplay than it does like metal.
What a ridiculously retarded comment. Coldplay? You're usually a way better poster than that.

The Great Cold Distance is my favorite. I agree w/ Ozzman on this one. From start to finish the album is amazing. No filler tracks at all...just a great album to throw on on a gloomy fall day. I also agree that DODS and BMD are boring.
Sorry, I've tried numerous times to get into them but meh.

The Great Cold Distance is my favorite. I agree w/ Ozzman on this one. From start to finish the album is amazing. No filler tracks at all...just a great album to throw on any day

:kickass: and fixed your post. It is definitely awesome to listen to this time of year

I like DoDS more than BMD. BMD just sounds like generic death/doom to me. That album would have been better with Renske doing clean vox the entire album instead of Akerfeldt doing harsh vox for most of the album.

:kickass: and fixed your post. It is definitely awesome to listen to this time of year

I like DoDS more than BMD. BMD just sounds like generic death/doom to me. That album would have been better with Renske doing clean vox instead of Akerfeldt doing harsh vox for most of the album.
Very true. The should re-release the album w/ just clean vocals and invite Akerfeldt back.
That would own.

Checked a few songs out... this is a excellent recommendation for someone who really likes the BMD style (such as myself). Thanks.

What's the best out of their three albums, would you say? At the moment, it seems most prefer Futile.

Futile is my favorite, and is the first; but they are all excellent. I would just go in order: Futile, Songs for the Withering, Silent Stage. Can't go wrong really.

voting for tonights decision just cause it has no votes and its the best of the post-bmd stuff

katatonia blatantly sound like the cure at times btw, ever heard discouraged ones?

Nothing that Katatonia has ever done sounds even remotely like anything The Cure has ever done. Not musically. Not vocally. Not lyrically. I seriously do not get how people keep making that comparison.

That said, both are great bands. Though I imagine a lot of people here would dislike The Cure.

I still don't get why everyone chooses BMD.
I'm noticing a trend here...whenever poll threads are created everyone tries to stay TR00 and automatically vote early material.
Then usually go on to say the band sold out and so forth.

Examples would be Opeth and Enslaved.
Everyone says Ghost Reveries and RUUN suck blah blah blah listen to their old stuff the new stuff is overproduced.
Whatever.

If someone that has never heard Katatonia before asks for me to compare them to other bands you really can't. Very unique and innovative band. Jonas's voice is one of a kind. Either hate it or love it.

I still don't get why everyone chooses BMD.
I'm noticing a trend here...whenever poll threads are created everyone tries to stay TR00 and automatically vote early material.
Then usually go on to say the band sold out and so forth.

Examples would be Opeth and Enslaved.
Everyone says Ghost Reveries and RUUN suck blah blah blah listen to their old stuff the new stuff is overproduced.
Whatever.

Maybe because BMD is a much better album than you and Ozzman are giving it credit for. It is not at all "generic". For something to be generic would imply there are many albums that sound basically just like it and that came out before it. Which there really aren't. If you disagree then by all means name them because I'd be dying to hear them.

BMD is pretty much the perfect embodiment of Anders' "less is more" approach to songwriting that he's displayed on all of Katatonia's and Diabolical Masquerade's output where he is able to convey an incredible atmosphere with very simple melodic structures. On top of that there's the excellent vocal performance by Mikael Akerfeldt (and Jonas on one track). And it has a good album length where it doesn't overstay its welcome by becoming overly repetitive. All in all it's a consistently good album, which is more than can be said of some of their later works (don't get me wrong I'm still a fan of those as well, but they are certainly more hit and miss).