Best lyrics in death metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raumien said:
Yeah, I generally do too, but Opeth actually pulled it off to my liking, which made me respect them even more.

Opeth's lyrics are hilarious. They aren't a Death Metal band either....

I like the lyrics from Suffocation - Pierced From Within, they didn't try so damn hard.

Lyrics in death metal are generally fucking awful, probably because there's more emphasis on the music.
With that said, Lord Worm's lyrics from the first two Cryptopsy albums are deliciously well written. I'm quite fond of Immolation's lyrics too because they're interesting without being pretentious.
Pig Destroyer have the best lyrics in the entire metal universe however.

Jean-Pierre said:
Opeth's lyrics are hilarious. They aren't a Death Metal band either....

I like the lyrics from Suffocation - Pierced From Within, they didn't try so damn hard.

I don't recall stating Opeth was Death metal....but I do remember saying that some people, people I disagree with, classify them as DM, so I went ahead and mentioned them. Oh well, I'm not one who liked to argue over genres muchh, so fuck it.

But yeah, a lot of Opeth lyrics are kind of gay, like I said, seems like just a bunch of meaningless metaphors, but some I really like.

LordFireworm said:
Oh sorry.
I meant to say that Pig Destroyer have the best lyrics in R 'n B.

They are grindcore. Grindcore is a sub-genre of punk. Any more questions, or do I need to drive it into your skull with a fucking hammer?

Mutilated said:
gory and sick is what its all about dude, its death metal its not supposed to be artisitic and meaningful

Haha you like Cannibal Corpse.

Vader (I'm amazed no-one's mentioned them yet), Circle of Dead Children, some Decapitated, Gorguts, Neuraxis, Dark Tranquillity (as far as melodeath is concerned), that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Funeral Portrait said:
Definitely Death, that was the first band to come to my mind. I've never really paid much notice to Psycroptic's lyrics but I'll have to check 'em out now. Nile has some amazing lyrics as well. I'm a huge fan of Egyptian history so I always enjoy reading their songs.

Nile? Yeah I thought so too!!-- until I read this:

Song: Masturbating The War God
Album: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Evil sick flames cast uncertain shadowsin the dimly lit Temple of
Anhur as we count the dead and vanquished by hacking off their
phalluses and piling the severed hands before the living stone
image of God.
The shamed and humbled women of the subjugated kneel in hopeless
Aquiescence as we grasp them by the hair and force them to serve
our father Anhur.
Yea we impale them on the massive stone member of the Ithyphallic
War God until the backs of their throats are torn out and their
bowels are ripped apart.
One by one we force the female captives to serve the Ahati until
the Gods legs are awash with blood and his phallus drips with
red and black gore Un snem sheth tesher mekhsefu parthal m aba
neth Anhur.
We lay our bloodstained weapons of Iron on the altar of Anhur and
His Seed blesses us with strength to slay our enemies Like as unto
Menthu we have become Ithyphallic.
The mighty Sekhmet is with us.

Okay, not to be prudish or anything, but... Their first two albums had a lot of perverted stuff like that but it tried to make it sound nice and antiquated in the way that it was written. I'm no expert on Egyptian mythology so I don't know if any of this has historical accuracy. But that's besides the point; I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I think the whole "killing and sodomizing virgins" theme is so fucking lame/old.

Raumien said:
I honestly don't read up on lyrics too much and when I listen to a band I usually pay attention to the drumming and the riffs and how the whole song comes together. I look at how the vocals are delivered and implemented in the song more than what they are actually saying, if that makes sense.

Anyways, I'm a fan of Death's lyrics. They kept many entertained during many classes last year when I had nothing better to do besides reads fantasy books or music lyrics. Some of Death's lyrics are things that can actually make me think. They also have some really fucking badass metaphors in them.

I don't really consider Opeth death metal, but some call them prog death, so I'll go ahead and mention them. Some of them sound like a bunch of garbled metaphors that don't even make sense to me, but the majority are pretty enjoyable to read. I usually don't care for lyrics that are emotional / about love, especially in a metal band, but these guys pull it off well.

Lyrics that are meaningful and thought provoking are so goddamn enjoyable compared to other types of lyrics, aka getting fucked with a rusty knife.

I agree with you on that last statement, totally.

I also think that basically it's all about how the lyrics make you *feel*, rather than how "intellectual" they sound (as in major thesaurus usage).

I mean, I bet there's thousands of intellectual-sounding ways to say "I will rape your family" but it still means the same thing and therefore still tasteless and stupid and when it all comes down to it who fucking cares unless it means something important to you??

Profånity said:
Carcass "Carnal Forge" - The most intellectual Death Metal lyrics

Multifarious carnage
Meretriciously internecine
Sublime enmangling steelbath
Of escheated atrocities

Enigmatic longanimity of ruminent mass graves
Meritorious victory, into body-bags now scraped...

Regnant fleshpiles
The dead regorged
Osculatory majestic wrath
This carnal forge

Desensitized - to perspicuous horror
Dehumanized - fresh cannon fodder...

(Lead - Steer)

Meritorious horror
Perspicuous onslaught
Dehumanized - cannon fodder

Killing sanitized
Slaughter sanctified
Desensitized - to genocide

Reigning corpsepiles
Death regorged

Sousing bloodbath
Carnage forged...

In the cold, callous dignity of the mass grave...

(Lead - Amott)

Multiferocious carnage
Cruel, mendacious creed
Sublime, murderous bloodbath
Of fiscal atrocities

Inexorable mettle in redolent consomme
An opprobious crucible of molten human waste...

Priapismic deathpiles
Infinitely regorged
The smelting butchery
Of the carnal forge

Desensitized - to pragmatic murder
Dehumanized - into cannon fodder...

hmm, they've used highly ornate language to say something typical. riiiiggght, "intellectual."

mutilated, if you give me your address, i'll send a dead dove or a mail bomb as a reward for your utter dumbfuckery, your choice.

demon ethereal said:
Nile? Yeah I thought so too!!-- until I read this:

Song: Masturbating The War God
Album: Black Seeds of Vengeance

Evil sick flames cast uncertain shadowsin the dimly lit Temple of
Anhur as we count the dead and vanquished by hacking off their
phalluses and piling the severed hands before the living stone
image of God.
The shamed and humbled women of the subjugated kneel in hopeless
Aquiescence as we grasp them by the hair and force them to serve
our father Anhur.
Yea we impale them on the massive stone member of the Ithyphallic
War God until the backs of their throats are torn out and their
bowels are ripped apart.
One by one we force the female captives to serve the Ahati until
the Gods legs are awash with blood and his phallus drips with
red and black gore Un snem sheth tesher mekhsefu parthal m aba
neth Anhur.
We lay our bloodstained weapons of Iron on the altar of Anhur and
His Seed blesses us with strength to slay our enemies Like as unto
Menthu we have become Ithyphallic.
The mighty Sekhmet is with us.

Okay, not to be prudish or anything, but... Their first two albums had a lot of perverted stuff like that but it tried to make it sound nice and antiquated in the way that it was written. I'm no expert on Egyptian mythology so I don't know if any of this has historical accuracy. But that's besides the point; I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I think the whole "killing and sodomizing virgins" theme is so fucking lame/old.
if u had the cd you would be able to read up on the background behind each song on, as they have a historical explaination behind each story. it's quite fascinating and yes, i still think their lyrics are amazing.

btw, the whole sodomizing virgins thing was based on an actual event, they just turned it into a song.

demon ethereal said:
I mean, I bet there's thousands of intellectual-sounding ways to say "I will rape your family" but it still means the same thing and therefore still tasteless and stupid and when it all comes down to it who fucking cares unless it means something important to you??
um, its death metal. they arent gonna sing some shit about a fuckin tree in the woods with the dim lit sun shining a moon covered shadow upon the throne of the deep enchanment.

demon talented said:
I can't make too many judgments in this thread, but this one can't be true. The Chasm has very cool music, but their lyrics are 99% negligible.

You reckon? I think their lyrics are quite cool. Some of it is about the Aztec civilization and the rest is about misanthropy and death.

I'm always fascinated with the amount of people who are impressed with Nile's historical facts. It's great that they've done that, but it's no different than what a grade school student does, and really speaks more to the lack of thought put into the lyrics on the part of other bands, than on the seemingly difficult task done by Nile.

As for gory lyrics, they work when their used as details within the whole of the topic in the song. When they are used as the point of focus, that's when it distracts and loses meaning, imo. Sexual exploitations of women in lyrics are childish and ape-like.

If Cephalectomy count (because they're so genre-bending and such), then their lyrics are better than any death metal band's lyrics. Also, Bal-Sagoth's 'A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria' was basically a death metal album, and it has the same godly lyrics that all B-S has.

Status
Not open for further replies.