• Staind

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Limp Kizkit

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Slayer (...)

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
Stuck Mojo are nu-metal? That's a surprise statement as they can actually play their instruments...

See i don't like comments like this. They ARE Nu Metal and there ARE a bunch of Nu Metal bands that can play. Nu Metal does not automatically = shitty playing. i find it REALLY funny when people find a Nu Metal bad that actually can play and is good, then they decide they will NOT call them Nu Metal no matter how obviously they are. There's a dude on the JP forum who REFUSES to call Haji's kitchen Nu Metal because the guitar players can shred. BUT it is EXACTLY Nu Metal, it is just more technical. I don't know why everyone thinks the label Nu Metal is so bad... Like you 7 dying trees, so you lke STuck Mojo (i am assuming)... so therefore you like some Nu Metal. No big deal.... don't take that as a insult.

i will probably get crucified for this, but i don't really consider any of those bands to be true metal. im not a big genre fan, i just don't think they should be together with Opeth, Soilwork,and other bands of that genre/style. they just aren't as technically advanced,except for Slipknot, who has some sick drums, and they are pretty damn fast, so they are OK. i like most of those bands music i just don'tlike the grouping.

Originally posted by whispersofaschizo
i will probably get crucified for this, but i don't really consider any of those bands to be true metal. im not a big genre fan, i just don't think they should be together with Opeth, Soilwork,and other bands of that genre/style. they just aren't as technically advanced,except for Slipknot, who has some sick drums, and they are pretty damn fast, so they are OK. i like most of those bands music i just don'tlike the grouping.

dude, paul bostaph in slayer is waaaayyyy better than the slipknot drummer!

Originally posted by Bumblefoot

See i don't like comments like this. They ARE Nu Metal and there ARE a bunch of Nu Metal bands that can play. Nu Metal does not automatically = shitty playing. i find it REALLY funny when people find a Nu Metal bad that actually can play and is good, then they decide they will NOT call them Nu Metal no matter how obviously they are. There's a dude on the JP forum who REFUSES to call Haji's kitchen Nu Metal because the guitar players can shred. BUT it is EXACTLY Nu Metal, it is just more technical. I don't know why everyone thinks the label Nu Metal is so bad... Like you 7 dying trees, so you lke STuck Mojo (i am assuming)... so therefore you like some Nu Metal. No big deal.... don't take that as a insult.

Well, the comment was initially meant to be tongue in cheek, and there's no offense taken, but:

1) The definition of nu-metal is very very vague. To be honest, apart from Staind/Korn/Limp Biscuit/Linkin Park and the like I have very little idea where the boundary lies. The common denominators I think there are that define the genre seem to me to be the incorporation of angst into the lyrical content. Pretty much the "i hate myself, there's the knife, the floor is red, bye bye cruel life" that the linkin park board contains. That mixed with detuning and syncopated riffs. Or something like that (music theory is non-existant, but you should get my drift).

2)Yes I do like stuck Mojo, however, I do not think they are nu metal by the above definition. Not because they can play their instrument, but rather because of their musical style and in a lesser way image. The only thing I can see that would cause them to be termed under the phrase nu-metal is that they rap. But there used to be a whole bunch of these bands way back when (can't remember their names, wasn't mordred one of them or is my memory as bad as i think?) doing pretty much the same thing, stuck mojo just happened to be the band that survived the whole rap-metal craze.

3)I am not really bothered about liking some of this stuff called nu-metal. There's some of it I like, some of it I don't, and some which I think is complete utter commercial ripped of shite. It has never been my thing, but I am not going to sit back and say it's all shit. There is only good music and bad music, and even that's subjective from person to person.

4)Your guy on the JP forum is sticking to an opinion and is too stubborn to move even in the light of evidence that in some way conflicts his views. He cares too much about how people percieve him, pride maybe? Shame some people are like this, but if you're not open to new ideas/things/inspiration then how can you progress as a musician?

In any case, these are my views, and other people may place the boundaries of their musical definitions in different places. Oh, and before anyone sits here and goes aha! Bumblefoot has made his point, you've actually tried to sick stuck mojo into a different category I would like to unashamedly point out that I do actually like slipknot, mudvayne and several other bands that people here would consider nu-metal. Do I give a fuck? No, not really. A good song is a good song, no matter what style everyone tells me it is.

No offense taken, and the above isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

@ Punisher

Paul Bostaph quit man, Dave lombardo seems to back with them, although i don't know if it's just for the tour or not.

Right, I'm off to hug some trees...

Originally posted by Bumblefoot

I don't consider Stuck Mojo to be nu-metal, I just consider them to be good. However, I do think their sound is far more based in traditional metal (especially the guitar sound) than most bands that are considered nu-metal, and their lyrical content is much less angst-ridden and despairing than those other bands.

Another question, do you consider Biohazard to be Nu-Metal (they possess many of the "characteristics" of nu-metal and I think Stuck Mojo is more similar to them than to, say, Korn or Linkin Park)? Cause they've been doing the hip-hop/metal thing for as long as nearly anybody, yet they've always been considered part of the hardcore scene.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
Does anyone listen to these two bands?

Anyone or Flybanger

Nu-metal or not they sound good to me!
I have heard Flybanger and liked what I heard. I won a contest from www.theprp.com (nu-metal/metal news site with tour dates etc.) for some Flybanger stuff. I won their EP and album and some stickers. There was supposed to be an autographed drumstick included, but it wasn't there! :mad: