Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Staind

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Limp Kizkit

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Slayer (...)

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
nu-metal's one of those "if it meets x amount of criteria out of y possible" to me.

possible nu-metal characteristics (incomplete, of course)

1. downtuned guitars
2. simple chords/music in general
3. overly hip-hop
4. bad lyrical content (angsty or ghetto, for instance)

the problem with these are that many good bands may incorporate one of these at various times.

different-tuned guitars have been used by many bands, though i believe opeth stays with the regular tuning.

christophorus garm rygg uses rap in "disguised masters" and gildenlow has a small rap in "ending theme" from remedy lane.

there are a lot of bands with angsty lyrical content. the one clincher for me is having lyrics like limp bizkit. you know... ebonic, for lack specificity.

Originally posted by saturnix

possible nu-metal characteristics (incomplete, of course)

1. downtuned guitars
2. simple chords/music in general
3. overly hip-hop
4. bad lyrical content (angsty or ghetto, for instance)

You forgot one

5. Horrible music

Alright let me say it again....Nu metal is horrible shit. All it is is mass produced, teen angst bullshit that allows people with no REAL problems in thier life to write horribly untalented, rappish metal wannabe crap and get rich and famous off of it. I can scratch my pic on the strings as well, you dont see me in a band called rage against the machine making ALOT of completely undeserved money. I dont give a shit if its downtuned, alot of death metal is downtuned. Who the fuck cares how the guitar is tuned! When you cant play it YOU CANT PLAY IT!!! Not to mention the singing is a bunch of angsty screams and whines mixed with the jiveing of an average rap song.

The lyrics are a negetive influance, and are so unbelivably horrible that I find it hard to believe that they arent so embarrased that they even use them. Society in general is so worried about being accepted by people who are really unimportant. So essentially nu-metal which is the "in thing" right now makes a shit load of un earned money off of all of the trendy fucks who listen to it because they think its "cool". Then there are the people who think its good.........I dont know what to say about that, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. But that opinion can still be horribly wrong.

There are bands like slipknot who have members who are talented (Joey). But I really dont consider them true nu-metal, they are dont ge me wrong but they are verrrrry far from what is the heart of nu-metal dogshit and that is..

Korn
Staind
Linkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Drowning pool
Saliva
Rammstein
Rob Zombie (although he himself is cool)
Disturbed
Crossbreed

And so many others but those are all I can think of right now.
I prefer Beauty, talent, meaning, method, and message in my music since it is the most beautiful, expressive, and influancing art form. Nu- Metal either doesnt have these or its so shitty that its disgusting. There is no beauty, barely if any talent (only in some bands like slipknot), their is usally no real meaning or intent of the music except to cry about stupid bullshit or to talk a bunch of stupid trash, Method? Its fucking rap trying to be metal with white people who THINK that thier lives were bad so they make shitty songs about it, message? All it is is a bunch of negetive repetitive teen angst bullshit.

I know alot of people are gonna be like "Well Death and Black metal have negetive repetitive messages!" Perhaps sometimes, but that shit is so gimmicky in most cases that if you believe that Chris Barnes really cums blood you are fucking sad, and he is a fuckslot anyhow.

That's all very lovely, Frost... But how can you say it is all shit? Have you even HEARD Stuck Mojo, Nothingface, Puya, or Haji's Kitchen? Not all of it is this angst crap!! Fucking christ i always find the people who hack the genre haven't heard any of the good bands and it pisses me off when people say the music i listen to is crap... a LOT of my friends say that about the metal i listen to too... so who do i believe? you or them? OH I HAVE AN IDEA, I WILL DECIDE TO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE AND LISTEN TO GOOD BANDS FROM ALL GENRES. (that includes Nu Metal BTW)

I'm like 16 and stuff. And I like driving mommy and daddy's car to mall where I can like, hang out and listen to the SiCkEsT, FrEsHeSt, KeWlEsT bands like KoRn(they are MaD fReSh), DiStUrBeD(I'm down wit da sickness), Slipknot (the Nu-MeTaL gOdS). I'm down with a lot more nu-bands, like Limp Bizkit, Linkin' Park, Stuck Mojo(I LuV rap and metal), Puja(they are SOOOOO original with that sax).

It's like so kewl when I act like I have all this angst and anger and like people, are scared of me and stuff, when really I'm this little wimpy 16 that still pees in his bed. Well, lates, gotta get to the mall.

Lates pepes

Word.

Originally posted by Punisher

damn right. i was kinda hoping everyone would understand that. i really despise numetal...

Well that's good to hear... still I can't believe how many people here enjoy nu-metal.

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees

@ Punisher

Paul Bostaph quit man, Dave lombardo seems to back with them, although i don't know if it's just for the tour or not.

Right, I'm off to hug some trees...

i know he quit but he is still the one who played at GHUA, which everyone is reffering to when they call slayer nu-metal. and dave lombardo is not with the band now, the tour is over and so is he....

Originally posted by blakmetalemp

Thanks, I will check them out. Any certain songs I should listen to?

Oh yeah!! let me list some here...

Puya:

Union (the song is about 3:44 long... on the CD there is a bonus track after it and that one is a 15 minute track. Find the 3:44 one)
Oasis
Numbed

Haji's Kitchen:

Syncopated
Face Down (you may notice the bass player and drummer kick ass from this song too)
Shed

I think all you Nu Metal haters should get those songs too... just for proof that these people are serous musicians too and it's not nice for you to ridicule them like that. Sure you hate the genre, but that is damn insulting... these 2 bands in particular player their ASSES off. I DO admit that like 70% of the bands are absolute shit, but the upper 30% are people JUSt as serious about musicianship and songwriting as any genre