Best of 2019...So Far

@Phylactery mentioned one of my favourites already, the new Inculter album Fatal Visions so definitely seconding that, but as it stands the new Holocausto album Diário de Guerra will probably be my #1 for this year (venomous as fukk 80's South American death/thrash), still waiting on more things to drop (especially the new Diabolic Night album, killer speed metal, do yourself a favour and check out the leaked track).

Vulture - Ghastly Waves & Battered Graves (vicious thrashy speed metal, all around a good time)

I didn't even know that Holocausto was still around. I love all the South American raw stuff like Pentagram Chile, Sarcofago, Death Yell, Sex Trash etc. Good song in the clip too.

Do you have anymore recommendations like that? The raw stuff.

Vulture is good too.

The biggest letdown of the year, I would say.

Why so? It isn't that chaotic and venomous as their debut, but it has better riffs and vocals in general. I love the atmosphere on it. Also, a lot of the material on Algleymi was written during the recording sessions for the debut album, which makes the two albums pretty interrelated. 10/10 from me, every track is superb. Just listen to this

Why so? It isn't that chaotic and venomous as their debut, but it has better riffs and vocals in general. I love the atmosphere on it. Also, a lot of the material on Algleymi was written during the recording sessions for the debut album, which makes the two albums pretty interrelated. 10/10 from me, every track is superb. Just listen to this

The production is horrible, vocals also suck and I think the riffs are very inoffensive. It's a mess. It delivers nothing to me.

I can't help but think you're being facetious. Sorry man, but calling it a "letdown" is an utter exaggeration. I'm afraid you're trying too hard; this album rocks and you'll see it included in many AotY lists. How is the production horrible? Why, according to you, the vocals suck and you dont say so in the context of the debut album? It's basically a more refined approach that's pretty understandable after the chaotic and angular monster of a debut album they released 4 years prior to this. The melodies and hooks are fucking sweet. And addictive may I add. Love the rock 'n' roll vibes.

That “mispyrming” sounds like an Eluveitie song, folky, uplifting, even similar vocals, I like it!

180A2F60-86E4-40E0-9F3B-58FE7F540E99.jpeg C3BFC900-B201-4C64-8DBF-471ACDE2D59D.jpeg

I can't help but think you're being facetious. Sorry man, but calling it a "letdown" is an utter exaggeration. I'm afraid you're trying too hard; this album rocks and you'll see it included in many AotY lists. How is the production horrible? Why, according to you, the vocals suck and you dont say so in the context of the debut album? It's basically a more refined approach that's pretty understandable after the chaotic and angular monster of a debut album they released 4 years prior to this. The melodies and hooks are fucking sweet. And addictive may I add. Love the rock 'n' roll vibes.

It's just my opinion. Guitars are thin as paper, the mix is weird, especially the drums. The vocals are not the same as the debut. It also sounds way too uplifting for my taste. It reminds me of Drudkh at times.

I didn't even know that Holocausto was still around. I love all the South American raw stuff like Pentagram Chile, Sarcofago, Death Yell, Sex Trash etc. Good song in the clip too.

Do you have anymore recommendations like that? The raw stuff.

Vulture is good too.

Unfortunately of all the thrash subgenres death/thrash seems like the most dead, especially for bombastic South American riffslaughter shit. Have to look to old bands to keep it alive it seems...

Other than Holocausto, you should check out the new Possessed album, though not too similar to Holocausto it's the only other recent quality death/thrash album I can think of.

Favourites so far? I’ve heard quite a lot of black metal this year. Nothing amazing (save perhaps the Funereal Presence which I am still absorbing), but plenty of good stuff.

funereal presence is definitely my number 1 so far, not my usual style but it's a pretty special album i think. it's actually my RYM friends' top BM album of the entire decade, 3.90 from 39 ratings which is nuts. dunno if i'd go that far, but it didn't disappoint.

i don't really care for the suhnopfer or vehemence albums, i like the vargrav more than those although it's pretty derivative as you've said. a couple others i've liked so far are the ultra silvam and warmoon lord albums.

Reactions: Phylactery
Waste of Space Orchestra - Syntheosis
Vanum - Ageless Fire
Stellar Master Elite - Hologram Temple
Ossuarium - Living Tomb
Tyr - Hel
Abyssal - A Beacon In The Husk

Checking this out and as much as it's well crafted, it confirms that this is not my style at all.

Are you not a fan of any melodic black/death. I really like this EP and think it is one of the best in its style in recent years.

funereal presence is definitely my number 1 so far, not my usual style but it's a pretty special album i think. it's actually my RYM friends' top BM album of the entire decade, 3.90 from 39 ratings which is nuts. dunno if i'd go that far, but it didn't disappoint.

i don't really care for the suhnopfer or vehemence albums, i like the vargrav more than those although it's pretty derivative as you've said. a couple others i've liked so far are the ultra silvam and warmoon lord albums.

It’s the attention to detail that makes that Funereal Presence so good imo. As I said I’m still fully absorbing it, but I’m a big fan.

I actually prefer this Suhnopfer to the second I think, but the debut is my favourite. How do you think the Vargrav compares to the debut?

Last edited:
a1691788284_10.jpg

Sacred Son - Arthurian Catacombs