The best albums so far this year...

Jimbo

zenmasteroffuckall
Aug 31, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
It's September, so I'm sort of checking on what's come out so far and what's kicked ass, what's sucked, and what I haven't heard that I should. So, here are some of my favorite albums this year. Please tell me what you've heard that was excellent and what has sucked. Top five or tens or fifteens... whatever. I have a feeling I know what will be my favorite when it comes out, but so far these albums have ruled (no order, just as I think about 'em):

Opeth "Blackwater Park"
Halford- "Live Insurrection"
Zyklon- "World ov Worms"
Destroyer 666- "Phoenix Rising"
God Forbid "Determination"
Zero Hour "Towers of Averice"
Adagio "Sanctis Ignis"
Red Harvest "Cold Dark Matter"
Alas "Absolute Purity"

There's still shit I want, the new Sigh, the new Witchery, the new Soilent Green (and I can't friggin' wait until the mighty Emperor unleash their newest, and final opus).

As for albums to avoid, I recommend not bothering with the new Judas Priest. Or wait until you find it used. I fortunately was given it as a gift, but still feel it's utterly uninspired. Especially after Halford's recent work.

And no, I don't like this board that much. I miss the old forum. But, life moves on.

Jimbo

Destiny's End- Transition
Cradle of Filth- Bitter Suites To Succubi
Dimmu Borgir- Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

those come to my mind first, I am very excited for the Emperor album, I have a feeling it could be my fav of this year, but for me it is going to be difficult to beat Destiny's End, I just love that album.

The last couple of years I don't buy many new albums,I mostly get old classics,but the one new album that stands out so far for this year,among the few that I've listened to,is Jag Panzer's Mechanized Warfare.Probably their best one-after Ample Destruction of course.But we've got September and October ahead,when most releases come out,especially from big names,so I think we'll have to wait a little longer,I'm sure some great albums are on their way.

just a couple that come to mind...

Jacob's Dream/Theater of War
Slipknot/Iowa (ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa :headbang: )

I can't think of any more....or I haven't bought too many of this year's releases...

Amorphis - Am Universum
Andromeda - Extension of the Wish
Ark - Burn the Sun
Balance of Power - Perfect Balance
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Kamelot - Karma
Magnitude 9 - Reality in Focus
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait

GZ

Opeth-Blackwater Park
Manticora-Darkness with Tales to Tell
Sigh-Imaginary Sonicscape
Avantasia-The Metal Opera
Zyklon-World OV Worms
Thorns-Thorns
Royal Hunt-The Mission
Iced Earth-Horror Show
Jag Panzer-Mechanized Warfare

Not sure of the order, but these would be on my list...

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
and possibly...
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper

The first two I'm certain about, CoB though has some reservations. I think it's their best album to date, the contrast between keys and guitars is more fluid and diverse, but sometimes I just can't get into it. Strange.

I'm still more caught up in last year's magnificent debut release by Lamb of God, though. :D :eek: :D

You guys have fucking awesome tastes, especially with some of the prog and melodic death/black stuff. This has been such an incredible year for metal, I have already included songs from fifty of this year's releases in my recommendations column. Here are some excellent albums that haven't been mentioned yet:

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Shadow Gallery - Legacy
And Oceans - AMGOD
Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare (I know Rodrigo mentioned it, but Mark is a good friend...)
Threshold - Hypothetical
Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis (late 2000?)
Falconer - s/t
Secret Sphere - A Time Never Come
Ulver - Perdition City
Maudlin Of The Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map

and still to come...

Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit
Gamma Ray - No World Order
Evergrey - In Search Of Truth
Therion - Secret Of The Runes

AM GOD is an excellent album. The mix of trancey techno and black/thrash is seamless. Emotional and atmorspheric, a nice twist on keyboard use in black metal.

Originally posted by 666
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Soilwork - A predators Portrait
Iced Earth - Horror Show
uh....

Great choices!! Here's a few more:

Dimmu Borgir-PEM
Susperia-Predominance
Katatonia-Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Well I won't share your opinnion about the new Priest album.
It is great! It contains classic priest riffing, powerful guitar playing, skull-fucking rythm section, and Owens proves that he is a worthy substitute for Halford. I saw them live recently and they kick ass! They blew us away... As for the new Halford album it is OK, but not all the songs are of the same quality. I mean there are 4-5 killers and the rest songs just fill in.
And the winners for the best albums so far are:

DESTINY'S END "Transition"
JAG PANZER "Mechanized Warfare"
STYGMA "Phobia"
TAD MOROSE "Undead"
HADES "DamNation"
SAVATAGE "Poets and madmen"
JUDAS PRIEST "Demolition"

I am sure that a lot of albums slip my mind right now, anyway...

I was greatly dissapointed by the new STEEL PROPHET album, mostly because I expect a lot from these guys and not just Maiden cloning songs.

Opeth - blackwater park. for sure. nothin' comes close

(cradle of filth -midian came out last year did it not? coz i think it deserves the best album for its' year)