Best of 2019...So Far

oh i guess it was a full length, speed metal mania is the one i meant. think i was confusing it with renorax's flash metal or torpedo's torpedo metal when i said that lol, they were both speed metal EPs from that year

Reactions: CiG

Recently gave the new Slaughtbath album a spin and it crushes, for anybody into that sound which lingers in the grey area between black, death and thrash.

Also I discovered a cool newer British death metal band the other day called Angron, just an EP and a live tape under their belt but the EP rules. If you're into mid-paced Bolt Thrower riffs mixed with some classic Carcass, Autopsy or something, give it a go.

A few other recent discoveries:

Lichmagick - Lichmagick (Black metal EP from Burgerland, kinda sounds like if Midnight were more black and less speed, or some shit)

Insulter's Altar - Devastating the Original Sin (Raw Finnish black metal demo, pretty cool)

Vomit Coffin - Hail Disease Praise Radiation (Just a filthy death metal demo from the UK played in a classic vein, nothing revolutionary)

Anthropophagous - Spoiled Marrow (Ultra low and awesome USDM demo with some doomy parts, groovy parts, blasts etc)

Listened to the new Nile album last night, actually played it twice in a row. It's an absolute monster of a record, highly recommended to anybody with any hesitations.

Impiety - Versus All Gods (One listen so far but this album is total fucking destruction!!!! Surprising bit of melody too)

Coffins - Beyond the Circular Demise (This more than makes up for the last few releases since Buried Death. COFFINS ARE BACK!)

Purulent Necrosis - Cadaverized Humanity (Ultra-gutteral brutal tech death debut album, pretty spazzy with some good breakdowns)

Take Offense - Keep an Eye Out (Old school crossover thrash/hardcore punk/thrashcore from California)

Mortify - Stench of Swedish Buzzsaw (Razorback Records circa mid-00's + late 80's/early 90's Swedeath demo worship = this 10 minute vomitfest)

Grendel's Sÿster - Myrtle Wreath / Myrtenkranz (Fanciful trad metal + Scandinavian folk music, lady vocalist, supposed to be an EP but it's long as fuck)

Inoculation - Anatomiza (90's style tech death from Ohio, really killer EP, highly recommended)

Engulf - Transcend (Nice little NJ-based one-man tech death EP, "for fans of Hate Eternal, early Gorguts, early Decapitated and early Ulcerate.")

Anal Prolapse - Cum Shoot (Groovy Mexican degeneracy)

Abythic - Conjuring the Obscure (German death metal with massive fucking riffs and a rotten classic era vibe, I championed their debut and this is even better)

Also, 12 days until the new Diabolic Night album drops...

Last edited:

The new Blood Incantation album is all the rage right now (though just as many detractors it would seem) and in a rare occurrence I'm actually finding the album to live up to the hype. It definitely isn't reinventing the wheel but I don't think I've ever quite heard this particular mixture of space rock, somewhat Voïvodian progressive metal, and classic death metal before now.

Definitely recommend it to anybody who likes their death metal progressive, aggressive, moderately technical and a bit weird and experimental. I hear Morbid Angel, The Chasm, Immolation, Gorguts, Nile, even some Atheist. The track I linked above is the album closer and in my humble opinion it's worth the price of admission alone, so if you don't feel like investing time in the album, take 18ish minutes to check that track out and see what happens.

Other than that one, which I've been spinning pretty consistently since it came out (will be this vs Neoandertals for my AOTY at this rate), these are some other things I checked out and liked:

Angel Sword - Neon City (Fuck it's so good to hear Jerry Razors' grating gravel voice again! Only blasted this one once so far, came out about 2 weeks ago, but this is just good old fun heavy fucking metal, no nonsense!)

Nekro Drunkz - Terminal Perversion (The kings of sleazy toilet metal deathgrind blah blah nobody wants to hear me go on about this band, I love 'em to bits, check 'em out if you feel like some catchy brutal grinding repulsion)

Deivos - Casus Belli (Polish tech-death whose glory days of 2010/2011 probably ain't ever coming back, but at the same time this is probably their best effort in almost 9 years)

Dead Heat - Certain Death (Sweet crossover thrash/hardcore punk with a classic sound, classic artwork and a sub-30 minute running time!)

Legendry - The Wizard and the Tower Keep (Lately I've been having a weirdly rough time trying to get back into the right mood to listen to non-"extreme" metal and Legendry, as well as the new Atlantean Kodex album, have been really helping me along. I really feel like Legendry are one of the few carrying the true metal torch, especially relevant since the passing of Mark Shelton)

Bestial Invasion - Monomania (The easiest way I can shill these guys is they're the Ukrainian answer for Greece's Sacral Rage, but not a clone type deal by any means, just they feel like spiritual twins. This is awesome and I'll be surprised if it doesn't make a few end of year lists among the thrashers and tech/prog-fans)

Diabolic Night - Beyond the Realm (This finally came out and massacred me! Galloping riffs, scorching solos, trad metal overtones, a dirty black metal spirit, this is top shelf black/speed with crashing cymbals and booming reverberating vocals from the pits of German hell, fucking love it man)

Also looking forward to the new 5-track Cianide EP that comes out late December, the new Rattenfänger album in about a week, and honestly the new Running Wild EP sounds like it might be cool too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bourbon

Very recent discovery. Italian death metal that reeks of Colombian influences and Immolation too. Breakneck pummeling with some great mind-bending riff work, especially reminds me of Unholy Cult at times. Looking forward to a full length someday. :kickass:

Reveal - Scissorgod (Artificial Brain shared this on FB and it really fucking rules, psychedelic black metal/noise rock from Sweden, that sounds like late 80's Voivod + Aura Noir)

Suppression - Repugnant Remains (Chilean death metal played in a very old school style, kinda like Pestilence crossed with Sadus, but with some Demilich-esque elements)

Blue Holocaust - Flesh for the Cannibal God (Goregrind perfection from France, in my opinion better than the now 16 year old debut CD. Pure cannibalistic gory deathgrind fun!)

Blooming Carrions - Sisters in Blooming Flesh (Dark and festering Finnish death metal done only the way that country can, great EP worth checking out if you like brooding death metal teetering on death/doom)

Also finally got around to checking out the new Mayhem record and I actually didn't mind it at all. Pretty strong release in my opinion. The new Mefisto kinda sucked though.

Love this art:

M79A9q8REvP.jpg