Best of 2019...So Far

a1691788284_10.jpg

Sacred Son - Arthurian Catacombs

This guy is such a fag.

Not sure what's going on with the Gallowbraid, it's technically a 2010 EP. I think he just maybe re-released it with one extra song (which happens to be "Stone of Remembrance," the best fucking Gallowbraid song).

Reactions: rms
Oh shit, I thought it was totally new. The quality is enhanced though.

Good on him to reissue and include "Stone of Remembrance" though, such a killer song.

EDIT: sorry, I missed "vinyl." The original 2010 artwork was different.

Reactions: CiG
I remember getting into it with the Gallowbraid guy years ago when he was promoting his band on Gaia Online of all places.

Reactions: CiG
Favorites from 2019:

Gloryhammer - Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex
Kull - Exile
Vader - Thy Messenger
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance

Here's a few more things that I recently discovered:

Nocturnal Witch - A Thousand Pyres (most recent discovery, blasted it twice in a row last night while I was reading, fucking savage two-piece German black/thrash started by the bassist from Sanctifying Ritual)

Seax - Fallout Rituals (catchy as fuck U.S. speed metal with high vocals, gang shouts, motorpunk riffing and a vibrant production, despite all that (or maybe because of it) this didn't click with me right away but I'm enjoying it more and more)

Sadokist - Necrodual Dimension Funeral Storms (cruel-sounding Finnish black metal on the thrashier/bestial side of things but not black/thrash despite what people are saying/the way it's being marketed, definite big nods to the classic second-wave)

Excuse - Prophets from the Occultic Cosmos (more Finnish metal, this time some epic black/thrash/trad metal that is pretty rough around the edges at times but it has a really awesome spirit that is totally fist-pumping and true)

Synteleia - Ending of the Unknown Path (debut from new Greek black metal band, complete with all the classic national influences and out-of-place trad metal elements you might expect, I quite enjoy it so far but only time will tell if it ends up making my AOTY list as I'm pretty fickle when it comes to black metal)

Cryptae - Vestigial (one track EP from experimental death metal Dutch weirdos, check this out if you feel like something a little different but still heavy and unpretentious)

Strangulation - Violence in Degraded Mindset (new EP from Japanese brutal death metallers, this isn't lame slam-meme-tier shit, just straight up brutality)

Örk Bastards - Warmongers of the Gloomy Lands (10 years after they released their killer Final Price tape these Russki fucks finally dropped a full length and it crushes with an iron fist, expect some catchy speed/punk/thrash metal with an overall crusty black metal coating)

Swordwielder - System Overlord (doomy and gloomy Swedish stenchcore/crust metal, this one really takes its time but once it locks in and fires it destroys everything in its path man)

Allagash - Cryptic Visions (Canadian trad/speed metal definitely inspired in part by classic USPM and the early Euro flower metal albums etc, basically just a cool mishmash of classic metal influences thrown together into a really fun album)

Pyöveli - No Speed Limits (cult Finnish speed metal who have been kicking around doing their own caveman throwback thing since the early 00's and not really giving a fuck about what was going on outside their rehearsal space, and fastforward nearly 2 decades later and if anything they've become even more raw and closed-minded)