Best solo of all time

Aww, I was about to say Comfortably Numb as the first one. It still is my favourite so far. Both of them.
Another from Pink Floyd is Money, makes me feel cheered up.
Then theres almost anyhing by Kingston Wall, wicked playing.

Jinn said:
Nah, Anders got a 4 piece to do all the orchestral parts, then had another dude do the Jazz guitar parts.

Everything else is Anders.

Pretty much none of the good solos are Anders, right?

doesn't Dag Swano do some of them too?

deliverance said:
As I said, I recently got a DM album, Ravendusk in my Heart, and dug it, so I was interested to hear Death's Design. I'm nearing the end of it now, and it fuckin rules. It reminds me of Crimson 2, how it's broken down, and stuff. Does Anders play all the orchestrated stuff himself too? If so, I'm impressed even more.
think they used an estonian string quartet. with 5 members.... (figure that one out)

As for solos: Iron Maiden - Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

BurningSky said:
Serenity painted death solo has always tickled my balls.

Yeah me too. I also love Windowpane's second solo.

My favs are :

Testament - First Strike is Deadly, Over the Wall, Return to Serenity
Judas Priest - Painkiller, A Touch of Evil, Beyond the Realms of Death
Symphony X - Of Sins and Shadows

Rush - La Villa Strangiato

Neil Peart - O Baterista

Sepultura - Desperate Cry

Megadeth - Ashes in Your Mouth

Metallica - The Struggle Within

Opeth - Lots of stuff, but Godhead's Lament, The Night and the Silent Water and Black Rose Immortal are probably my favorites.

others too, but my head hurts now...

deliverance said:
oh yeah? what did it say man?

p.s. soundgarden ruled
p.p.s. AiC ruled
p.p.p.s. STP ruled
"fat chicks rule" and it had a small coffee stain on it, near the collar.

ps: do you remember Tad? i never got to listen to them. i just remember my older brother had some of their stuff and, of course, i thought they must be cool if he had them.

Demilich said:
Pretty much none of the good solos are Anders, right?

doesn't Dag Swano do some of them too?

Nah, Anders has an incredible solo on DD, I'll find it when I have the album playing.

Dan basically co produces the album I believe, and considering Dan had to bring Simon Solomon on board Bloodbath to belt out Dan's solos, I'm glad he didn't do any of the DM solos. [sorry Dan!]

Death's Design destroys all previous Diabolical Masquerade imo...
but anyway you guys mentioned Temple of the dog awhile ago, the solo to "say hello to heaven" is totally fitting/catchy/emotional.

dorian gray said:
"fat chicks rule" and it had a small coffee stain on it, near the collar.

ps: do you remember Tad? i never got to listen to them. i just remember my older brother had some of their stuff and, of course, i thought they must be cool if he had them.

hmm, not sure who "Tad" is..unless you mean Tod..which corresponds to temple of the dog, who i've also never heard haha.

^Tad was a grunge era band (reportedly heavier than most) from Boise. The singer/guitarist was also a lumberjack. No shitting. I've just never bothered to listen to them.

Some good solos mentioned here, especially deep peace and comfortably numb, a couple of my faves.
One of my favourites at the moment is about 6.30 into 'shores in flames' by Bathory, right after Quorthon screams "FYAAHR!!!"
Gets me every time.

Comfortably Numb = The most over-rated guitar solo in history. It's not even good, let a lone great.

As for my picks...
Death - Lack of Comprehension
Dream Theater - Lines In The Sand
Dream Theater - Trial of Tears
Symphony X - Masquerade '98
Symphony X - Smoke And Mirrors (all of them, including those insane intro sweeps)
The Eagles - Hotel California
Testament - The New Order
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like I Do?
Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods

sands of the seas said:
Comfortably Numb = The most over-rated guitar solo in history. It's not even good, let a lone great.

As for my picks...
The Eagles - Hotel California
so wait, Floyd is overrated but you list the Eagles? :err:

both are good....