Best solo of all time

sands of the seas said:
Comfortably Numb = The most over-rated guitar solo in history. It's not even good, let a lone great.

As for my picks...
Death - Lack of Comprehension
Dream Theater - Lines In The Sand
Dream Theater - Trial of Tears
Symphony X - Masquerade '98
Symphony X - Smoke And Mirrors (all of them, including those insane intro sweeps)
The Eagles - Hotel California
Testament - The New Order
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like I Do?
Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods

OK.... comfortably numb. There is no way that solo is overrated. If anything its underrated because everyone always has sex over the free bird solo (not people here, but radio people). I think comfortably numb is an example of a song that became popular for the wrong reasons. Its really an incredible song but it has enough pop elements where everyone can like it. I dont know, but i always thought that "The Wall" was the Pink Floyd album everyone jumped on even though most of their best stuff is done way before that album.

like I said for comfortably numb, it's the live version I enjoy the most which last almost 10 minutes and he plays the solo for half of the song. I also like the one on the studio version but not as much as the live one.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Both of 'em)
Also Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Opeth - AFJ I don't know why, but this solo just really gets me.

And, I'm sorry to say, Stairway to Heaven... First solo I ever learned. I skipped the intro and went straight to the solo.

But my fav. by Zep has to be Black Dog.

Jinn said:
Nah, Anders got a 4 piece to do all the orchestral parts, then had another dude do the Jazz guitar parts.

Everything else is Anders.

did anders write the orchestral parts though, do you know?

also, i just ordered the cd from amazon, since i dig the mp3s so much.

Some epic solos....

Iron Maiden-Powerslave, after I heard this I was hooked on maiden for life.
Unearth-Zombie Autopilot, for a new band I was Impressed
Ozzy w/Randy- Mr Crowley, I love the flow of that solo
I love the solos of MIke wead and Andy La rocque King DIamonds masterminds.

and the list goes on and on..........WIll we ever hear a solo by Metallica again? if we don't OH WELL! Im tired of waiting around for these fuckers to make some metal again.

As for me, I think I've been waiting for years, but I don't have hopes since 91... The last thing I'd expect from them is James doing some guest vocals on the next Eminem record, Oh hell that wouldn't surprise me either. They took a picture with Ricky Martin some years ago, if that would not surprise you...you know the rest.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

Alteredmindeath said:
...WIll we ever hear a solo by Metallica again? if we don't OH WELL! Im tired of waiting around for these fuckers to make some metal again.

Megadeth - 5 Magics
Orphaned Land - Halo Dies
Last solo in Learning to Live
Devin T - Deep Peace
O to the Peth - White Cluster, Serenity
Eat Shit and Die - Emo is for Faggots and Cunts
Fear Factory - Back the Fuck Up
The Jerky Boys - Tandem Bicycles
Frank Zappa - Rat Tomanga
2gther - Whoa! Rub one out
Edit 1: wisenheimer charlie puut's bass clarinet solo on his debeut album

in no order
metallica - ride the lightning and blackened
cliff burton - pulling teeth and orion
dream theater - this dying soul, the glass prision, home, the dance of eternity, peruvian skies
opeth- forest of october
green carnation- light of day, day of darkness

uhhhh..ya thats good i guess for now

and for overkill dragonforce - sonic firestorm

Nirnaeth Arnoediad said:
-Deep Purple: Highway Star and Burn
-Led Zeppelin: Heartbreaker

And I don´t know if anybody ever listened to a band called "Jackyl"... there´s a solo in the song "The Lumberjack" that it´s made with a power saw!!!!!!
ahh. i used to get a kick out of jackyl. you know they have the record for most shows in a 24 hour period or something ridiculous like that. i also remember they had a song called, "she likes my cock". straight to the point, that one.

my picks for right now:
every solo on Rust in Peace - perhaps THE most influential album for me and all my friends back in the early 90s.

The solo to highway star is killer, Richie Blackmore is one talented dude.

Funny you say Comfortably numb is over rated I always thought the eagles were over rated, CN has more emotion than hotel california, or a whole eagles album for that matter.

Luz said:
It's a pleasure to know Décadent is back and he's online too! wow.
it's about goddam time. I'm looking forward to some seriously sarcastic posts!
note to Decadent: where the hell is jaykeegan?

dorian gray said:
^Tad was a grunge era band (reportedly heavier than most) from Boise. The singer/guitarist was also a lumberjack. No shitting. I've just never bothered to listen to them.

Wasn't he the fattest guy in the world? Or was that Tankard?