Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stronghold

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oath Bound

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
I voted Minas Morgul, but Dol Goldur and Stronghold fucking rule.

I need to hear Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame though.

It seems that whatever I'm listening to at the moment is my favorite album of theirs, but I voted for Minas Morgul simply because that is probably the one that I play most frequently.

Lugburz is basically an Abigor album.... Summoning really started with Minas Morgul.

Lugburz is a strong release, but less innovative than their later material. Plus, it really sits outside the basic 'Summoning' context, and, as such, is too unrepresentative to really be an appropriate answer to this question.

Minas Morgul is brilliant, but at times unsteady in its execution (as befits a band just working out the edges of a new style), and the sound is a bit - off.

Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame both suffer in comparison to the bands other work. While both are excellent in the abstract, at times, they veer toward the formulaic and rockishly broad gestures rathern than the more subtle manipulations of texture and technique featured on other albums.

Oath Bound is internally more complex, and a worthy successor to Summoning's best material, but it is perhaps too narrow in its focus and feel - it simply lacks the diversity to appeal for every day listening.

The real pinnacle of the band's career to date were the recording sessions that produced both Dol Guldur (my choice, btw) and Nightshade Forests, and the material on these albums benefits from both the creative passion of Minas Morgul and the confident and assured execution of Oath Bound, with the added bonus of much greater variety in emotional and textural presentation. Neither album will ever get old.

Sounds like I need to hear Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forests. To this point, Minas Morgul is my favourite. I only own LMHSYF and Oath Bound though.

I can definitely see the formulaic issue, listen to Edelrost and hear Silenius basically making a WWII Summoning album. Still good though. I think their albums complement each other more than they compete, but I picked Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame mainly for the vocals on the first couple tracks, they really stick with you. Everything these guys do (Pazuzu, Kreuzweg Ost, etc.) is above average I'd say.