best zombie movie

cthulufhtagn

Went Out for Smokes 13 Years Ago
Jul 19, 2004
south of washington
who else here is a fan of zombie movies? there's something distinctly "metal" about the whole genre, so i figure there must be a couple other zombiephiles around here. anyway, i saw "land of the dead" a couple days ago and it was ok, but had something lacking...which inspires me to ask everyone what their favorite zombie splatterfest is and why.

night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, evil dead, shaun of the dead, 28 days later...
ZombiePlanetPhoto_11.jpg

edit: and as a side note, has anyone read the "zombie survival guide" by max brooks? fucking great bathroom read...

be careful, many on this forum will make the argument that 28 Days Later is not a zombie movies since the "zombies" weren't actually dead, just infected. I sure as hell enjoyed the movie, though.

I haven't seen all of Romero's movies, but Day of the Dead was fucking lame, IMO. The whole subplot with Bub The Zombie was stupid, and that army leader guy had some of the worst dialogue and overacting I've ever seen.

I want to see the original Dawn of the Dead, because I thought the remake was actually pretty cool.

Night of the Comet is good as well.

J. said:
I want to see the original Dawn of the Dead, because I thought the remake was actually pretty cool.

You haven't seen the original Dawn of the Dead? Why are you even posting in this thread? And yet you took the time to watch Armageddon?? Man, make a priority list for crissakes. :tickled:

cthulufhtagn said:
night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, evil dead, shaun of the dead, 28 days later...

All good flicks, except 28 Days Later is by no means a Zombie flick, I don't give a fuck what anyone says. If they're not the living dead, they're not zombies. Otherwise, you might as well call Assault on Precinct 13 a zombie flick, or any other film where humans turn on other humans.

Anyway, not to digress....

Day of the Dead is phenomenal, and without seeing Land, I figure Romero should have just quit when he was ahead. I can't count the number of times I've seen Day, Dawn, and Night.

Also, go see Junk. It's a japanese take on the genre, mixing Romero in with Re-animator and Resevoir Dogs. Very cool.

We've had a million zombie threads here by the way. Ask Deron to give you search capabilities. :p

yes, I have an obsession with zombies

I just picked up the book "City of the Dead", the sequel to "the rising" by brian keene, which is a fantastic zombie novel, and I hear good things about this new one, though I have yet to start it.

imo on the 28 days later thing, it is in no way a zombie movie, but what it is, is a fantastic TRIBUTE to zombie films, just count the references to Romero's works, they're everywhere... and in that regards it does well, pays homage without being a direct ripoff, like many try to be......

My favorite zombie film of all time is Dawn of the Dead, just because it captures perfectly the feeling of what it would be like to live in a zombie filled world, and I think much better than any of the other films in the series try to convey.

also Fulci's films are INCREDIBLE, for the atmosphere and gore... House by the Cemetary is freakin intense! also of course The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, and Zombie are great as well.

Reanimator , Bride of Reanimator, ehhh the list goes on and on.

(NecroFiles is a must see, too)

and yes, I will be prepared when the zombies come, because I have studied my zombie survival guide well.

Ok, i can understand why 28 days later, is not a zombie movie. I believe that its basically a psychological thriller, above others.
About ZOMBIE ZOMBIE movies, my favourites are definetally the Fulci ones, Chrome mentioned, which deliver a reall horror on screen. I like the fact that his endings were always so intense and really evil.

IOfTheStorm said:
I like the fact that his endings were always so intense and really evil.

yeah really, basically the only times when a movie can truely make me feel horrified come from the endings to Fulci films

well.... to a lesser extent, some moments of Dario Argento's works do a great job as well.

OH how could I forget Dead Alive.... Zombie classic! :lol:

My fav zombie movies begin with romero's obviously. Dawn of the dead,(saw it when i was a kid still love it, remake was ok..no atmosphere) then Day (really underrated, much darker then the other two great atmosphere...j i dont think it was overacted at all these people were isolated for months, people would eventually start to go mad, military or not).

Night of the living dead was amazing and quite revolutionary for its day (1968) ie black lead, out of nowhere ending/none happy ending, little girl hacks parents to death..o yea the zombies.. them too!)

Fulci's Zombie is great. (who can forget that eye scene and the shark scene!) as well as his "city of the dead".......shaun of the dead was good fun too.

good thread, cthulu. i was actually going to post something about the zombie survival guide a couple weeks ago but didnt (obviously). theres some great stuff in there. the thing that irritated me though was that it is filed under "humor". what's funny about getting attacked by the living dead? i guess his publishers thought he was joking.

anyway, yeah, Dawn is the best. Zombie is great too - boobies!

Chromatose said:
yeah really, basically the only times when a movie can truely make me feel horrified come from the endings to Fulci films

well.... to a lesser extent, some moments of Dario Argento's works do a great job as well.

Argento has mastered the style of Giallo - his films are based on constant plotline weaving with interludes of violent killings. Of course, so much emphasis is on the imagery as well, to the point where the Suspira DVD even comes with a color chart for fine tuning your tv resolution! WTF!

Argento is classy, whereas Fulci is gore exploitation, but man, when Fulci is doing things right, he does them to perfection! Both Zombie and The Beyond are masterful genre flicks, but I find City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetary to be slightly long winded. I can't stand the dubbing either. I would kill for original language dubs of those movies but I guess they were never released that way...?

The apocalyptic endings to The Beyond and especially Zombie are superb. The scene with the zombies walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to the narrative of the radio DJ...."they're coming....oh my god...they've come into the building..." blah blah....great stuff, not to mention the friggin' Zombie vs. Shark fight.

All you zombie enthusiasts should seriously get Junk. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this shit. I am the necromancers! [/Emperor spoof]

dorian gray said:
what's funny about getting attacked by the living dead?
nothing is funny about the living dead. that's why i have my survival kit packed and ready, 24 hours a day.

does anyone else who's read that book consider it to be the ultimate authority on zombies? i'm serious, whenever i see/read anything about zombies i compare it mentally to the zombie survival guide :lol:

and as for land of the dead's ending, i have to say i can't abide by any film which advocates a policy of tolerance for the living dead

edit: can you guys recommend a couple argento and giallo films, the ones you think would make the best introductions to their respective works? thx

cthulufhtagn said:
does anyone else who's read that book consider it to be the ultimate authority on zombies? i'm serious, whenever i see/read anything about zombies i compare it mentally to the zombie survival guide :lol:

edit: can you guys recommend a couple argento and giallo films, the ones you think would make the best introductions to their respective works? thx

yes! well.. seeing as how there AREN'T any other books on preparing oneself for the apocalyptic zombie hordes, then that alone makes it the ultimate authority :lol: but really it is perfect, he's sure to capture every single aspect, but of course its nothing new if you've managed to study every single zombie film quite closely hahahah

I'm really not familiar with giallo stuff outside of Argento unfortunately.. but as far as his films go.. it seems Suspiria is considered his best, though I really do prefer Phenomena. Also Two Evil Eyes is a great take on some Edgar Allan Poe stuff, reminiscent of Romero and King's Creepshow, but not up to par with the others I just mentioned.

cthulufhtagn said:

Argento:

Suspira - this is his masterpiece
Deep Red - considered a sequel to Suspira, although never confirmed by Argento

He has an entire catalog, but you could start with these. Certainly Suspira is hailed as an absolute classic in the world of horror. It's remarkable to look at, let alone watch. When you see it, you'll know what I mean.

Tom Savini did the effects in Two Evil Eyes as well. You should all know who he is so no explanation necessary.

I've never seen Phenomena, and I don't know why. It's always been difficult to track down (to rent) or too expensive (to buy) but I guess I'll take the plunge someday. (I've always disliked Jennifer Connoly too so...)

Still, it'll be interesting to watch an Argento movie with a soundtrack by Iron Maiden.