When there's no more room in hell...

bloodfiredeath said:
Anyone see the trailer for House of the Dead yet? Check it out. Looks like it might be ok.

I can't find the trailer on that link - is it the "play game" link? Didn't work for me....

By the way, speaking of trailers, if you haven't seen the trailer for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, then check it out here:

http://www.texaschainsawmovie.com/

It's surprisingly good, but trailers these days are 99% of the time better than the final product.

The "Day of the Dead" DVD release sounds awesome. That will be the third time they have released that DVD. I bought the first DVD transfer. The copy is like watching it on VHS. Then they released it later with the image cleaned up. But this latest release looks like the dogs bollox. Got to get my hands on that just for the interviews.

ChiefB said:
The "Day of the Dead" DVD release sounds awesome. That will be the third time they have released that DVD. I bought the first DVD transfer. The copy is like watching it on VHS. Then they released it later with the image cleaned up. But this latest release looks like the dogs bollox. Got to get my hands on that just for the interviews.

Get the Evil Dead boxset you bastard and send it over.

JayKeeley said:
Me sneaky.

You know this image of Rupert Everett is from Dellamorte Dellamore - it's the DVD we haven't watched yet because it only works on the DVD player upstairs for some reason. Supposed to be excellent.

I enjoyed that film very much :) There's a hell of a lot of imagery in it, the majority of which was probably waaay over my head :)

In other news I just got back from frightfest, 17 horror (ish) films in 4 days (I only saw 14 :( ). Including the new Miike Takeshi, "Gozu", which was brilliant, so damn funny! Along with Cabin Fever, House Of 1000 corpses (with rob z. in attendance), Octane, Malefique, Fear X, Beyond Reanimator (which I missed cos of the trains :( ) and League Of Extraodinary Gentlemen! :D

:wave:

JayKeeley said:
I did not like this at all. Kind of like TCM meets Natural Born Killers (with the imagery), but not as good as either.

I fucking hated House of 1000 Corpses. I went into the theatre thinking it might be cool, and walked out convinced I had seen one of the worst things I have ever seen at a theatre, just terrible. What really bugs me is how many reputable horror sites I go to that give it good reviews.

Ironically enough with this quote of yours JK, I usually state that Natural Born Killers is the worst movie I have ever seen in a theatre. I'd actually go see Corpses again over that pile. :)

JayKeeley said:
How was it?!!

Nowhere near as good as the hype. I was quite disspointed, only because Eli Roth and all the reviews had said how it was an old school, Evil Dead type horror flick. In it's own right it's a pretty watchable horror film, with quite a few good jokes, and some good moments, but really not old-school or hardcore in any way..

JayKeeley said:
I did not like this at all. Kind of like TCM meets Natural Born Killers (with the imagery), but not as good as either.

I see you rcomparisons, and I really quite liked it.. The macabre, slightly weird atmosphere just worked for me - perhaps it was because of the atmosphere in the cinema, what with the director and stars there and just having seen 13 other films in the last three days, but I still thought it was cool.. I'll let you know final decisions when I;ve seen it again ;)

It's released here in a few months, so :)

JayKeeley said:
That's a damn shame.

Yase, I was slightly pissed off :(

Russell said:
Nowhere near as good as the hype. I was quite disspointed, only because Eli Roth and all the reviews had said how it was an old school, Evil Dead type horror flick. In it's own right it's a pretty watchable horror film, with quite a few good jokes, and some good moments, but really not old-school or hardcore in any way..

Fangoria have lost their edge...they just gave it their 'seal of approval'. What a shame, because the concept of the film was good, and I thought it's low budget might make it a bit more endearing....oh well.

I see you rcomparisons, and I really quite liked it.. The macabre, slightly weird atmosphere just worked for me - perhaps it was because of the atmosphere in the cinema, what with the director and stars there and just having seen 13 other films in the last three days, but I still thought it was cool.. I'll let you know final decisions when I;ve seen it again ;)

Yep - could have been the atmosphere that helped. For me, a video on a saturday night wasn't working...although I liked the bit when they're lowered in that box and the zombies come out of the water. That's just my love for the living dead though, and that scene could have gone on for a bit longer....

I got my Day of the Dead superdeluxe edition - gonna watch it along with the documentaries this weekend. Hooray!

And by the way guys, I watched 28 Days Later again, and I'll admit I liked it much better the second time round....there's still a few things I would have changed, but overall it was a good homage to Romero. At times, the homage was a little too overt though....but not bad overall.

JayKeeley said:
Fangoria have lost their edge...they just gave it their 'seal of approval'. What a shame, because the concept of the film was good, and I thought it's low budget might make it a bit more endearing....oh well.

Well, I'd see it before you write it off ;) It may just have been me! I just didn't think it was anywhere near as good as had been publicised, and definitely not old-school

JayKeeley said:
Yep - could have been the atmosphere that helped. For me, a video on a saturday night wasn't working...although I liked the bit when they're lowered in that box and the zombies come out of the water. That's just my love for the living dead though, and that scene could have gone on for a bit longer....

I think that scene was cut massively - after all, it was very short.. Uncut version is out in October apparently, so I'm gonna see it again then :)

JayKeeley said:
I got my Day of the Dead superdeluxe edition - gonna watch it along with the documentaries this weekend. Hooray!

Git :p How was it? ;)

Russell said:
Well, I'd see it before you write it off

Oh for sure - it's just getting advertising here now for commercial release. I might wait for the DVD though.

I think that scene was cut massively - after all, it was very short.. Uncut version is out in October apparently, so I'm gonna see it again then :)

You know, I'm not sure how cut your scene was because I saw House of 1000 Corpses on DVD here. Don't forget it's been out for a while here, and the DVD release is 'uncut'. I know I can't compare, but I think the scene is too short either way.

Git :p How was it? ;)

I'll let you know - we've got a long weekend here so I still have some time to watch it. I need to see the new print, and I need to see the new documentaries.

Did you ever read the original script for Day of the Dead by the way?

JayKeeley said:
You know, I'm not sure how cut your scene was because I saw House of 1000 Corpses on DVD here. Don't forget it's been out for a while here, and the DVD release is 'uncut'. I know I can't compare, but I think the scene is too short either way.

Hehe, well, even if that is the case, Rob Zombie is working on a new cut that's 20 minutes longer and due for release in October.. He hasn't finished it yet so they couldn't show it at the festival :( So maybe that's a directors cut or something he's gonna release? Who knows :erk:

JayKeeley said:
I'll let you know - we've got a long weekend here so I still have some time to watch it. I need to see the new print, and I need to see the new documentaries.

Did you ever read the original script for Day of the Dead by the way?

Hehe, have fun! :D Never read the original script, how does it differ? :erk:

I'm gonna go and finish watching Amelie, then watch a zombie flick! :Spin:

Russell said:
Hehe, well, even if that is the case, Rob Zombie is working on a new cut that's 20 minutes longer and due for release in October..
Oh you mean he's shooting more footage? Interesting, especially since he had so many problems just finding a distributor for the current version. Is he aiming at more gore do you think, since it will probably go straight to video?
Hehe, have fun! :D Never read the original script, how does it differ? :erk:
Basically, it's the zombie apocalypse. The zombies trained by man (just like Bub) end up in a war with regular rogue zombies. Romero ran out of budget...

Apparently, the reason why Day of the Dead wasn't well received back in 1985 was because this original script got leaked before the movie was finished. So basically, people who'd read the script, or heard about the storyline, raised their expectations...and when they saw the final product, they were disappointed.

I never knew anything about the original synopsis. If anything, I actually prefer Day over the other two.

JayKeeley said:
Basically, it's the zombie apocalypse. The zombies trained by man (just like Bub) end up in a war with regular rogue zombies. Romero ran out of budget...

Not quite on the budget thing. The script changes happened before the filming started. From the Homepage of the Dead:

"Day of the Dead, the third of the Dead Trilogy, was intended to be an epic and was going to be the "gone with the wind" of zombie movies. However, the film company drastically reduced the amount of money they were willing to invest in the film. This was because George Romero was just not willing to compromise the films special effects by cutting back on the gore and violence so it would receive the lower rating which the film company wanted it to.

He therefore cut back on the script and made a smaller and more economical film."

That said, I've read the original script and the movie would have been awesome. I like Day alot, but I think I like Dawn a bit more. Though... Day has grown on me over the years more than any other Romero film.

JayKeeley said:
Oh you mean he's shooting more footage? Interesting, especially since he had so many problems just finding a distributor for the current version. Is he aiming at more gore do you think, since it will probably go straight to video?

Nope, but apparently the American "uncut" version is still very cut.. Something like that, all I know is that he will have a cut that's 20 minutes longer completed by the end of October? That's what he said anyway, so :) I think whatever it is it's gonna be a lot gorier, as he's already got the distribution, so now he can go a bit further..

JayKeeley said:

Apparently, the reason why Day of the Dead wasn't well received back in 1985 was because this original script got leaked before the movie was finished. So basically, people who'd read the script, or heard about the storyline, raised their expectations...and when they saw the final product, they were disappointed.

I never knew anything about the original synopsis. If anything, I actually prefer Day over the other two.

They all have their own charm for me :lol: But it sounds like Day would have been one hell of a film if he'd got away with what he wanted.. Hmmmm :(

Russell said:
Nope, but apparently the American "uncut" version is still very cut..

You know, I'lk give Rob Zombie credit for having his heart in the right place at least. He's just not the greatest director. On paper, the idea behind House of 1000 Corpses worked, but on film, it just never clicked into place. There was too much mayhem to the point where it seemed so obviously forced and candid. Adding 20 minutes of 'more of the same' actually makes me want to see that version less.

If you compare to what Tobe Hooper did, he made TCM seem much more unpredictable, and that 'grainy' image worked a treat. I tell ya - if I was Rob Zombie, I would have cut down on the fun & antics, set the horror sequences further apart (so it looked less like an MTV video rollercoaster ride), AND most importantly, I would have bleached, overexposed, and fucked with the print negative to make it look skanky and ripped....people could learn from David Fincher - remember the way Seven looked? Especially those opening credits? That's how I want my flick to look.

Here are some films I'm looking forward to:

Underworld - Kate Beckinsale...is there anyone more beautiful?
House of the Dead - I need to see that trailer...
Freddy v Jason - I know I'm late, and I don't care how good/bad it is, I need to see it on principle.
Van Helsing - for a laugh, but hearing it compared to The Mummy puts me off...more Beckinsale though!
Blade III - seems to be on a roll, with part II being better than part I - that's a rarity these days, but it depends on the director. Would be cool if it was Guillermo Del Toro again...